Anyone know the real answer...

Well, the OP was not, to my knowledge, assuming any kind of conspiracy. He was just asking a question. I was curious about the same thing. It wasn't terrible on the other side (except fighting the sun for a little while), just different.

I wasn't thinking about some conspiracy. But after Dan's coy answer, I really have begun to wonder what's the big secret.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

two words-Sound Ordinance

UW Football games are just as loud, if not more so. Even so, the sound ordinance is for only the front side? With the upper deck, it would seem to me that the sound would be more contained playing to the front.

I heard a variation on that theme. Seems the neighbors to the west of the stadium complained about the noise.

Heh, heh, the college students??? Most of whom are away anyway???

he may have wanted to, but he was busy working!!! we noticed this and assume there must have been something really wrong going on....seriously, when was the last time Dan worked at a show??

Our corps performed early and I appeciated playing into the East and not into the sun. East stands would also look "less empty."

Why was the show in Madison to the back side? There was no work being done to the front side. Dan Acheson said that it would accommodate the smaller crowd. I don't understand this. The back is 70 rows high, just like the lower deck in front. So, really, why was the back side used?

I think its been consistently on the back side for all the Drums On I've been to at Camp Randall. I would guess event security would also be a likely issue.

I heard a variation on that theme. Seems the neighbors to the west of the stadium complained about the noise.

To the people across the street (students - and it's summer) the sound should be no different. It was a HUGE echo chamber -- sound leaving the stadium would be fairly omnidirectional. I was told that side was "more appropriate" to the expected crowd. Corps were warming up in those neighborhoods, which would be a FAR greater sound issue.

he may have wanted to, but he was busy working!!! we noticed this and assume there must have been something really wrong going on....seriously, when was the last time Dan worked at a show??

My understanding is that this is part of the cost cutting measures DCI put into effect to help the corps financially this year, the same as the five-judge panel. There are alot fewer people working the shows for DCI to reduce costs, so Dan is doing alot of the leg work himself to make up for the lack of worker bees. Sounds like good management to me.

There was construction going on in the front stands…

doubt that...in the marketplace (right outside the stadium) we couldn't hear a thing...unfortunately. my thinking is this way there isn't a huge empty upper deck, plus with the "smaller" stands it might give a more "intimate" feel to the show