Parents Speak Up

Back in the day............

~SNIP~

Of course in B'ham in 79 or 80, my friend would get really bad gas from the sauerkraut on the hotdogs and just go sit in front of the loudmouth...........

~SNIP~

:rolleyes:

That's what we here in Madison call "Wisconsin Justice"!

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's because they are spiteful towards Hopkins yet somehow in their minds embody his ideas and self into the performers known as The Cadets and thus hate the whole organization because of 1 person. I personally wish people wouldn't do that because I had the honoring of marching with several guys that are marching Cadets this year. They arn't marching because they support Hopkins ideas (they actually don't really like them) but because they want to march with one of the most time-honored corps out there.

See I don't get that. If the Snickers people start making Snickers with no penuts, penut butter instead of caramel, and white chocolate, are the people who previously enjoyed Snickers going to happily munch away just cause the wrapper still says Snickers on it? No, they're going to open the wrapper, exlaim "what is that garbage!!" and feed it to their dog.

Back in the day............

When prelims lasted several days, there were usually a handfull of us that would sit and watch almost every show with eyes and ears for detail since we were all band directors in our early years. It never failed that there was always one jerk two or three rows away that just had to talk all day telling his friends every bit of information he knew about each and every corps, yet you could tell he was BSing his way through much of it to try and impress his friends.

As we would sit and look at each other with a grimace (sp ? ) each time he said something stupid, It was usually me who would finally get fed up and ask........and who did YOU march with because back in 71 it was so and so that blankety blank................and the guy would answer that he never actually marched.

It would be at that point that the jerk would finally shut up and you would hear several people around us say..........thank you........and we would all just smile.

Heh :worthy:

Getting OT here, but since we're talking about getting folks to shut up in the stands -- two stories from the Rose Bowl lase year -- both involve my wife, who is pretty much a newbie -- never marched, never knew anything about it, still can't tell why BD scores higher than PC (for example). Bothe stories remind me of why I married her in the first place: :worthy:

1) During Quarters some guy behind us would tell his girlfriend before and after each show how this move was a repeat of 1998 and this show was copied from so-and-so in 1991 and blah, blah, blah. I'm sure he thought he was impressing her with his vast and irrefutable drum corps knowledge. Was driving me nuts, though, although I didn't say anything either then or anytime after the show. My wife must have picked up on it though, because after the first corps performed on Friday night, she turned to me and said (loudly enough for this guy and his girl to hear) "Wasn't that show just a copy of the one they did last night???!!!" I almost :rolleyes: my $7 beer. Didn't hear a word from him the rest of the night though.

2) At Finals, I had told my wife earlier how some people like to scream just to get on the cd's. Sure enough, some guy a couple of rows behinds us screams during the silent drill portion of BlueCoats. No words - just AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! After the show was over and the applause died down -- she gets up to stretch, turns around a little and says (again loudly enough) "I see what you mean about idiots thinking they're more important than the corps and trying to get on the cd." Got lot's of looks of appreciation from those around us on that one.

Ayway, back to our regularly scheduled DCP circular discussion .... :worthy:

You have my sympathy because you don't want to see or hear negative reactions from people to your Son's Corps performances. As a Parent myself, I can understand your natural feelings as a Mother for her child.

On the other hand, he is blessed right now. He is not being attacked by artillary fire, weapons fire, nor asked to go onto military patrols where in a moment, he could be shot dead or blown up by a roadside bomb, nor subjected to native hostilities, and potential disease and thousands of miles away from his family and friends. Your Son is doing Drum Corps. His life is not in danger. He is subjected to polite applause, some silence, and an occassional boo here and there at Drum Corps competitions for a few weeks. He'll survive his Drum Corps summer tour just fine.

In the offseason, both you and he had an opportunity to select a Corps for him to perform. I would imagine that both you and he knew that the Cadets Corps like to push the envelope of this activity, and that controversy has follwed this Corps the last few years in terms of what they put out on the field. You admitted as such in your comments here re. " Allentown " last year. So it's not like this year was unexpected. Noone drafted him into this years Corps to subject himself AGAIN to an environment that both you and he felt uncomfortable with. He CHOSE to march Cadets again this year. And to take both the good and the bad that come with that decision.

Well said! :rolleyes:

Getting OT here, but since we're talking about getting folks to shut up in the stands -- two stories from the Rose Bowl lase year -- both involve my wife, who is pretty much a newbie -- never marched, never knew anything about it, still can't tell why BD scores higher than PC (for example). Bothe stories remind me of why I married her in the first place: :rolleyes:

Your wife is awesome, I want to sit with her at drum corps shows from now on. :worthy:

First off - even though I disagree with much of it - fine first post!

About the point quoted above: DCI has been shrinking for years and many former fans are being turned off if DCP is any indicator at all. In order for DCI to continue to be a successful builder of young adults (those of us who have spent time on the tour bus may want to debate that!) it has to have the support of the fans who ultimately foot a large chunk of the costs. Innovation is fine, SCV being a great example of how to innovate tastefully.

This latest round of change isn't innovation though, in that everything new is old again via BOA. In addition, it runs a real risk of alienating the public support that DCI sorely needs. How many young adults can you continue to build under those circumstances?

Thanks for being gentle in your reply to my first post. I know this is a provocative issue, made even more prickly by the concerns of a member mom. I am in no way suggesting that the DCI of the past did not innovate or improve the art. I understand at one point, the percussion actually carried Tympani’s because everything had to move, or something like that. I know that classic shows of the past are all over the comments. I am only suggesting that this is (particularly to a newcomer/observer) a remarkable entertainment that is perfect for a much wider audience. If DCI is meant only for the marching enthusiast (shrinking as they may be) then they should play to the stands filled with former and current members (and family) and look for ways to creep into different media. OR, they can embrace an approach that appeals to a broader audience. When I first saw BLAST I was completely oblivious to marching bands/corps of any variety. They made a connection using the tools of the corps. The audience was wall to wall theater goers and it was amazing to watch. It was SRO for 7 nights straight and they couldn't have all been band folk. The power and the visual appeal of DCI corps cannot be duplicated in any other form of entertainment/sport and (IMO) DCI is reaching for ways to make this connect to a new inexperienced audience. To do this, corps (IMO) should not be afraid to try new things. In what I have seen thus far this season (and last), there are is abundance of well designed shows that are difficult to remember, with interesting names that make no connection to what you are seeing. More importantly, I believe (with some exceptions) that most of the members in these corps could be moved around, switch uniforms and "drive on". So it's not the performers, its the designers that need to be creative. DCI is filled with some of the most talented musicians in our nation and they deserve an opportunity to feel the result of a WOW moment. They just need to get designers who have the chops and encouragement to do it. NOTE: I saw BOA in Atlanta last Oct and I admit that there was a confusing mix of stuff on the field (rewarded in their placement), but I noted the crowd reaction and their appreciation for the innovation. By the way, your bus tour comment is well taken, but no worse than a college dorm, I think!

Getting OT here, but since we're talking about getting folks to shut up in the stands -- two stories from the Rose Bowl lase year -- both involve my wife, who is pretty much a newbie -- never marched, never knew anything about it, still can't tell why BD scores higher than PC (for example). Bothe stories remind me of why I married her in the first place: :worthy:

1) During Quarters some guy behind us would tell his girlfriend before and after each show how this move was a repeat of 1998 and this show was copied from so-and-so in 1991 and blah, blah, blah. I'm sure he thought he was impressing her with his vast and irrefutable drum corps knowledge. Was driving me nuts, though, although I didn't say anything either then or anytime after the show. My wife must have picked up on it though, because after the first corps performed on Friday night, she turned to me and said (loudly enough for this guy and his girl to hear) "Wasn't that show just a copy of the one they did last night???!!!" I almost :rolleyes: my $7 beer. Didn't hear a word from him the rest of the night though.

2) At Finals, I had told my wife earlier how some people like to scream just to get on the cd's. Sure enough, some guy a couple of rows behinds us screams during the silent drill portion of BlueCoats. No words - just AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!! After the show was over and the applause died down -- she gets up to stretch, turns around a little and says (again loudly enough) "I see what you mean about idiots thinking they're more important than the corps and trying to get on the cd." Got lot's of looks of appreciation from those around us on that one.

Ayway, back to our regularly scheduled DCP circular discussion .... :worthy:

I think I'm in love with your wife.............

By the way, drinking $7 beer should not be allowed at drum corps shows. This is a YOUTH activity where we should be setting the example for the leaders of the future. If you lead them to believe thats it's ok to pay $7 for beer, next thing you know it will be ok to pay $5 a gallon for gas.

( sarcasm OFF )

To the original poster - I think your son is stronger than you think. I wouldn't worry so much about him. Yes, I hate narration (won't hide that), but your son is getting a lot of support and there are a lot of people who disagree with me on narration - to each his/her own.

I would never do anything other than clap for a corps, regardless of whether it's narration or not. I do not like where George has taken the Cadets, but I still supported their 2005 win, thought they should have been 4th in 2006, and would have supported a Cadets victory last year. Why? Because the qualities they possess that are drum corps, I felt were the best in '05 and '07 and were 4th best in '06.

A lot of people hate the direction Hopkins is moving in, and unfortunately that gets directed at the Cadets as a group. Still, your son has the support of staff, members and fans...he is and will be fine. Don't worry.

Edited by gellio

Now Bosly......the kids can't help what the drill is going to be. This mom is talking about the kids/parents and their feelings. What about the corps that comes in last almost every year? Are those kids worth any less because of that? Absolutely not. It's about good sportsmanship, regardless of what is actually on the field.

I'm sorry, but the kids CAN help where they march. Everyone, and their mother, knows the Cadets are probably the most hated drum corps today (because of Hopkins). I give credit to the kids who do choose to march there, but it's their choice. If they can make the Cadets, they can march any where.