A big problem

I am not going to complain about ticket prices for the Madison show, as I think they were worth absolutely every penny. HOWEVER, when I do pay that much for a ticket, I expect to be able to enjoy the entire show. How many years have shows been going on for DCI?, since 1972. So why, WHY do they allow other corps to warm up anywhere NEAR the stadium field? When I buy my ticket, I want to hear EVERY corps. While listening to Pioneer, I don't want to hear a preview of the Crossmen show, I will be listening to that in 45 minutes(I don't know who was warming up, just a reference to a later performing corps). When Bluecoats or Blue Knights are on the field I don't want to be listening to Cavies or Cadets drumlines practicing. Does DCI not get this? This is usually more of an issue early in the night, when the smaller corps are on the field. But to me, nothing ruins a beautiful ballad more than a loud drumline outside the stadium. I understand the corps need to rehearse, but there needs to be a limit on just how close to the stadium they can be, and that distance needs to be one that doesn't allow their practice to ruin the show of someone else.

And to the corps directors, are you not aware there are corps playing on the field? Why would you have your corps warming up so close to the stadium? I know there probably isn't just one person at fault here. But this is a solvable problem VERY EASY to solve.

It's an excellent point... but not really "VERY EASY" to solve.

A corps stays where it stays... maybe practices up to the last possible minute, get's some chow time, some relax time, some get dressed time... and it's time to do a light warm up again. Then you get on a bus and drive who knows how far, maybe far, maybe not so far. Then you get off the bus and head out around into a neighborhood and try to do a decent warm up. There's just no way to play a drum "quietly" and get a good warm up, and horn players can't at all get a good warm up just using a mouthpiece.

But if you warm up waaaaaaaay far away and you're completely gassed just from the walk back to the stadium... the whole warm up is gone.

I remember Blue Devils drumline being able to twist their drums around and glued right onto the shell was a rubber pad - a round disk just perfect for playing on... and they would warm up on those. Carriers put the kibosh on that idea, but that was a good solution for drumlines.

I am not going to complain about ticket prices for the Madison show, as I think they were worth absolutely every penny. HOWEVER, when I do pay that much for a ticket, I expect to be able to enjoy the entire show. How many years have shows been going on for DCI?, since 1972. So why, WHY do they allow other corps to warm up anywhere NEAR the stadium field? When I buy my ticket, I want to hear EVERY corps. While listening to Pioneer, I don't want to hear a preview of the Crossmen show, I will be listening to that in 45 minutes(I don't know who was warming up, just a reference to a later performing corps). When Bluecoats or Blue Knights are on the field I don't want to be listening to Cavies or Cadets drumlines practicing. Does DCI not get this? This is usually more of an issue early in the night, when the smaller corps are on the field. But to me, nothing ruins a beautiful ballad more than a loud drumline outside the stadium. I understand the corps need to rehearse, but there needs to be a limit on just how close to the stadium they can be, and that distance needs to be one that doesn't allow their practice to ruin the show of someone else.

And to the corps directors, are you not aware there are corps playing on the field? Why would you have your corps warming up so close to the stadium? I know there probably isn't just one person at fault here. But this is a solvable problem VERY EASY to solve.

It is not like this was the first ever DCI show at Camp Randall, has this been a problem in the past?

It is not like this was the first ever DCI show at Camp Randall, has this been a problem in the past?

I don't remember having this problem at Camp Randall during finals weeks the last 3 times it was there. It seems like it is more of a problem at high school stadiums. However, at least 4 corps Saturday night were interrupted by corps rehearsing very close to the stadium. I think during finals week they have kept other corps away because they were recording for the finals videos.

I agree. I hate listening to a corps perform their beautiful ballad, only to be interupted during a silence by a deafening, out of place, drum shot. I know DCI penalizes for this sort of thing, but it rarely gets enforced.

I have encountered this a lot at high school stadiums... I am surprised it happened at Madison though. In 2006 (my only trip), I know that we warmed up quite a distance from the stadium. And walking around, there were lots of corps in the same area-ish. Not really far away, but multiple buildings between the corps and the field.

Sometimes there is nothing that can be done... but at Madison, that is definitely not the case.

What happened to me during finals one year was that a bunch of kids from other corps sat in the open seats around us and yapped throughout the entire show.

I complained to the ushers and was told they can sit wherever there is an open seat even if that means next to someone who paid top dollar. Never again.

This is NOT a "DCA vs. DCI" point I'm making here.... but over the years it seems to me that the "corps warmups being heard in the stadium" situation happens more often at the DCI shows I've attended or worked at, than it does at the DCA shows.

I'm not sure why, it just seems to happen that way.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

This is NOT a "DCA vs. DCI" point I'm making here.... but over the years it seems to me that the "corps warmups being heard in the stadium" situation happens more often at the DCI shows I've attended or worked at, than it does at the DCA shows.

I'm not sure why, it just seems to happen that way.

Fran

Whoops. Rochester 2007...warmups could be heard over the performances, esp if you were seated in the second tier. Drums, from anywhere, are still drums. The sound bounces off the buildings and makes its way into the night air.

Here's the thing: warmup is part of the hype and is truly a member-important experience. For it to have any validity, the warm up has to translate to the field. Warm up too close, you disturb the presentation. Warm up too far away, you lose the "warm" on the way to the field. Drums on pads defeats the purpose.

A uniquely drum corps connundrum where no good answer exists (unless the show is inside and the warmup is outside). Whoops, again.

"Inside" usually sucks.