Favorite Drum Breaks

Hero Sandwich, man...to see that solo discussed some 37 years later...Wow!

I first heard it on a 1971 World Open Recording. I later learned that the Kingsmen had a five man snareline that year made up of Micheal Ellerby, Mike Hubbard, Terry Walker, Ralph Hardimon and Tom Float. What a line that would have been to be in. It was not only the difficulty of the piece but the speed at which those dudes played it and how smoothly they flew through it.

Edited by Dale Lofgren

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you Kelley, The fact that at the end of the solo there was no WOG (wood on ground) was one of our most memorable moments.
There was a moment in time when I thought that I would have to put hours in on that stick toss again! (Remember the sugar packet night?) :tongue: Even though I did a stick toss three years in a row, (79-81), they always nerved me. The Kingsmen dudes did them so much it was like chewing gum! Our fellow instructor, section leader, Dale Lofgren, had us do one two years in a row, which prepped me for the one in '81. He had us do back sticking around the track, as well! I might add!

Hero Sandwich, man...to see that solo discussed some 37 years later...Wow!

I first heard it on a 1971 World Open Recording. I later learned that the Kingsmen had a five man snareline that year made up of Micheal Ellerby, Mike Hubbard, Terry Walker, Ralph Hardimon and Tom Float. What a line that would have been to be in. It was not only the difficulty of the piece but the speed at which those dudes played it and how smoothly they flew through it.

Hand to hand flams, inverts, etc. are not known as smooth rudiments, but yes, they made them sound that way! The '75 Vanguard solo was just as impressive...VERY smooth and very clean! I try to just watch the hands/sticks...incredible! I remember when you and "Dr. Dennis" from the Conquistadors were playing the "CLOCK" together, and he was only 15 years old! I never got a chance to learn it, I suppose!

Kelly, is that you? I am happy to show and play Clock with you. It will just have to be at half tempo! :tongue:

Edited by Dale Lofgren

There was a moment in time when I thought that I would have to put hours in on that stick toss again! (Remember the sugar packet night?) :thumbup: Even though I did a stick toss three years in a row, (79-81), they always nerved me. The Kingsmen dudes did them so much it was like chewing gum! Our fellow instructor, section leader, Dale Lofgren, had us do one two years in a row, which prepped me for the one in '81. He had us do back sticking around the track, as well! I might add!

Of course I remember that night. Personally one of my funniest drum corps moments ever. BTW I still have those sugar packets stored safely away until I can figure out an appropriate way to showcase them :thumbup: . It would have been an honor to have you in the line even though deep seated tradition would have made that difficult. At one rehearsal we actually did march around the track tossing sticks the whole way. That plus regularly scheduled "last man standing stick toss smackdowns" molded us into the tossing fools you saw in Pasadena.

Kelly, is that you? I am happy to show and play Clock with you. It will just have to be at half tempo! :smile:
Yes, it is me! I would be so cool to learn the solo from you! Half tempo is fine with me! "Is he here?" :thumbup:

Of course I remember that night. Personally one of my funniest drum corps moments ever. BTW I still have those sugar packets stored safely away until I can figure out an appropriate way to showcase them :smile: . It would have been an honor to have you in the line even though deep seated tradition would have made that difficult. At one rehearsal we actually did march around the track tossing sticks the whole way. That plus regularly scheduled "last man standing stick toss smackdowns" molded us into the tossing fools you saw in Pasadena.
I have shared the sugar packet story here and there, cautiously, I might add! It was great to march the Halloween parade with you guys and even though there was no stick toss involved, it was SO cool to be able to :thumbup: march with you awesome dudes!

The 'Historical' ones that stand out for me are the Bleau Raiders in the early seventies when the triple tenors came out, they just blew every crowd away! Madison's 'Dueling Banjo's' has yet to be surpassed in my opinion, and the '75 Skyliners drum solo after Elks. I mean, WTF!

+1 on St. Joe's line.........but I gotta be a spoilsport and point out that they only got 1/2 the drum trophy in '68--tied with Kilties, who just happened to pull off an incredible performance that night.

Back on topic, a few nominations/seconds:

1966 Troopers: Solo #1

1968 Kilties: Solo #1

1969 BAC: Unsquare Dance

1972 Kingsmen: Uh, whatever that was...off-the-charts snare visuals, among other highlights

1973/74/81 SCV: YPG, of course

1974 Kingsmen: Tubular Bells

1978 Madison: Star Wars solo...not cutting-edge, but what fun--perfect use of a huge line

1981 Madison: Downwind

1984 Cavaliers: Ozark

And +1 on tommytimp's nomination of 82 Defenders Medieval Overture. Only saw/heard it once (Whitewater prelims) and still remember it--great writing.

A bit off topic Bob but 40 years later Big Spender still blows me away!!!