Favorite Drum Breaks

Up until quite recently, the drum break was a staple in all drum corps shows. A certain portion of every program included a time for the percussionists to take the spotlight and show their stuff. What are your favorite breaks?

Mine are two fold, but come from the same year:

-Madison's Dueling Banjos-Good God, I couldn't play those xylo riffs standing still! Unbelievable keyboard stuffs throughout the piece.

-Vanguard's clock-The legendary '75 SCV drumline. What else is there to say?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Up until quite recently, the drum break was a staple in all drum corps shows. A certain portion of every program included a time for the percussionists to take the spotlight and show their stuff. What are your favorite breaks?

Mine are two fold, but come from the same year:

-Madison's Dueling Banjos-Good God, I couldn't play those xylo riffs standing still! Unbelievable keyboard stuffs throughout the piece.

-Vanguard's clock-The legendary '75 SCV drumline. What else is there to say?

Well, I could say Stone Ground Seven (SCV 80), Flight of the Bumblebee (Phantom 78), Medieval Overture (Defenders 82), Blue Mercury (Memphis Blues 82), Corner Pocket (Knights 86), Black Market Juggler (Bridgemen 82), Plumet Attack (Garfield 89), and many more, but I'll stop now.

From the way back machine, 1960's

Hawthorne Cabs...The Bomb

Boston Crusaders....Metal shoes to tulips

Oh, I forgot one:

BD's Paradox in '82. That single stroke stroke roll was a smooth as satin.

Well, I could say Stone Ground Seven (SCV 80), Flight of the Bumblebee (Phantom 78), Medieval Overture (Defenders 82), Blue Mercury (Memphis Blues 82), Corner Pocket (Knights 86), Black Market Juggler (Bridgemen 82), Plumet Attack (Garfield 89), and many more, but I'll stop now.

I marched the Cadets 89 show...thanks for the props. I just found the q-finals performance on "That Site We Can't Mention". I forgot how killer of a tune that was. I try not to watch the shows I marched in, but man...that show was off the hook!

You may want to hunt it down...the camera coverage at q-finals was WAAAYYYY better than finals.

PS The others you mentioned, especially Stone Ground Seven, were awesome as well. If some of y'all haven't gone back to listen to the masterpiece that is the 1985 SCV, I'd HIGHLY recommend you do. Top to bottom, I think it's Ralph's best writing. Check out Festering Ovaries (Festive Overture).....

I am glad the creator of this thread used "breaks" -- plural -- since many of us have more than one favorite!

Here's my list:

-- 1980 SCV -- Stone Ground Seven

-- 1976 Oakland Crusaders (can't remember the name of the solo, but they played the snot out of it!!)

-- 1978 SCV -- Legzinka

-- 1982 Bayonne -- Black Market Juggler

-- 1982 27th Lancers -- Blue Rondo a la Turk (How many time signatures can YOUR drum line play?!?!)

-- 1986 Blue Devils Channel One (LOVED the cymbal flip & Noth Drum tenors!!)

-- 1987 SCV Legzinka II

1974 SCV - Door-bell Solo (at least that's what I called it).

...here I go dating myself, but if y'all can get a listen to *anything* during the Jerry Shelmer Boston years (my favorites are the mid-sixties lines) you'll hear alot of innovative wide-open stuff. I've ripped alot of drum features out of shows through the years, up to and including "modern" and I always seem to gravitate back to those formative years; the Blue Rock lines of the late sixties and early seventies; the great Cavalier lines; the Jim Jones/Bob Kalkoffen (if you want to know where Fred came from...) Trooper lines; *anything* Bobby Thompson's Blessed Sac...and here came the Kingsmen and Tom Float/Ralph Hardimon. There's a PHD waiting here, folks! :unhappy:

Charlie Groh

Edited by chasgroh

'84 Spirit