Favorite Drum Breaks

And +1 on tommytimp's nomination of 82 Defenders Medieval Overture. Only saw/heard it once (Whitewater prelims) and still remember it--great writing.

That would have been Steve Volpe.

He was our instructor in 79 and 80.

Our little corps placed 29th in 1980 in Birmingham but the drumline placed 17th!!!

Very, very intense guy

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That would have been Steve Volpe.

He was our instructor in 79 and 80.

Our little corps placed 29th in 1980 in Birmingham but the drumline placed 17th!!!

Very, very intense guy

That was 79. Defenders cracked the Top 25 in 1980, placed 18th.

Well, I could say Stone Ground Seven (SCV 80), Flight of the Bumblebee (Phantom 78), Medieval Overture (Defenders 82), Blue Mercury (Memphis Blues 82), Corner Pocket (Knights 86), Black Market Juggler (Bridgemen 82), Plumet Attack (Garfield 89), and many more, but I'll stop now.

Hey, thanks for the shoutout on Medieval Overture. That was really fun to play. We loved it, and the original ain't to shabby either!

Steve Wolpe was indeed intense, and he pushed us hard. 82 was a really enjoyable year.

I like some of the integrated drum breaks Regiment is doing nowadays. Some really nice writing. The 12/8 break during the Rhapsody show, with the tap shoes, was great (if short). Reminded me of 27th in 83.

Older stuff? I like Bridgemen most of the time, SoA Devil Went Down to Georgia, BD such as Karn Evil 9, SCV YPG.

If I get a chance to root for the home teams, Defenders Medieval Overture, 27th Blue Rondo, 83 Sea Songs and the Running Set, 84/5 Ludwig. All a gas to play.

Cheers,

Rick

+1 on St. Joe's line.........but I gotta be a spoilsport and point out that they only got 1/2 the drum trophy in '68--tied with Kilties, who just happened to pull off an incredible performance that night.

That doesn't spoil anything,so Kilties tied us at the last show...still undefeated!!!

I think you are confused Tom.

My reference was to my corps the MA Guardsmen.

As Father Guido Sarducci might say,

"I blame-a my self."

Edited by tommytimp

If I get a chance to root for the home teams, Defenders Medieval Overture, 27th Blue Rondo, 83 Sea Songs and the Running Set, 84/5 Ludwig. All a gas to play.

Cheers,

Rick

Ludwig? 1984? Is RIDICULOUS. The segmented writing is absolutely sick. That 84 line may be the greatest battery I ever saw.

Said it before, blah blah, Charlie Poole is a god among insects.

I am sure most of you drummers will roll your eyes and say whatever, but I absolutely love SCV 84. No hard corps beats, but absolutely gorgeous.

For real drum solos I love Paradox and Lezghinka.

I am sure most of you drummers will roll your eyes and say whatever, but I absolutely love SCV 84. No hard corps beats, but absolutely gorgeous.

I ain't rollin' nothing. Musica Bohema is awesome. SCV (and BD, I must admit) had the best early pits; they exploited instrumentation and textures better than anyone else at the start of the whole pit phenomenon, and that solo is phenomenal in terms of sound and tasty playing. Maybe not so much for the battery, but the pit work, wow.

For real drum solos I love Paradox and Lezghinka.

Musica Bohema was not an aggressive solo, but it was beautiful, and opened the door to a larger repertoire of percussion ensemble-style work. Leave it to SCV, huh? I miss Ralph Hardimon's writing...