Favorite Drum Breaks

1974 SCV - Door-bell Solo (at least that's what I called it).

That was 75, wasn't it? 74 was the percussion feature from YPG.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...here I go dating myself, but if y'all can get a listen to *anything* during the Jerry Shelmer Boston years (my favorites are the mid-sixties lines) you'll hear alot of innovative wide-open stuff. I've ripped alot of drum features out of shows through the years, up to and including "modern" and I always seem to gravitate back to those formative years; the Blue Rock lines of the late sixties and early seventies; the great Cavalier lines; the Jim Jones/Bob Kalkoffen (if you want to know where Fred came from...) Trooper lines; *anything* Bobby Thompson's Blessed Sac...and here came the Kingsmen and Tom Float/Ralph Hardimon. There's a PHD waiting here, folks! :unhappy:

Charlie Groh

You have to give Mighty St. Joe's it's dues in that same breath, we were always right there in execution or above alot of the time (undefeated in 68), under Dick Mecurrio, from the Thompson school of drumming!!!

-- 1978 SCV -- Legzinka

-- 1987 SCV Legzinka II

You gotta give props to '79 SCV's "Lezghinka" too. After all, they won high drums at DCI with that solo (won in '78 with it as well).

The 7/8 groove in Stone Ground Seven is what makes it so killer. We had to march in 7/8, it's almost like a limp when you march: 1-2, 1-2, 123, 1-2, 1-2, 123, 1-2, 1-2, 123. At one time, SG7 had horn parts. Check out the '80 BD/SCV "State of the Art" recording.

Marching SCV in '79 and '80, I have a soft spot for both those drum solos.

That was 75, wasn't it? 74 was the percussion feature from YPG.

I think they did it in '73 and '74. I remember them putting a new wrinkle in the part where they played on their sticks from '73 to '74. I never got to see them in '75 because we were usually last on all year. They also upgraded some of YPG from '73 to '74. Instead of holding their left stick against their chest in the drum to drum part, the snares put their left arm up on the right shoulder of the person next to them and sort of casually leaned on them. Very cool.

I still think that the 1974 SCV show is one of the best of all time.

Edited by Roark1

I think they did it in '73 and '74. I remember them putting a new wrinkle in the part where they played on their sticks from '73 to '74. I never got to see them in '75 because we were usually last on all year. They also upgraded some of YPG from '73 to '74. Instead of holding their left stick against their chest in the drum to drum part, the snares put their left arm up on the right shoulder of the person next to them and sort of casually leaned on them. Very cool.

I still think that the 1974 SCV show is one of the best of all time.

SCV played the "clock" solo in 1972 (first drum solo) and 1975 (second drum solo). They did YPG solo in '73 and '74.

Instead of holding their left stick against their chest in the drum to drum part, the snares put their left arm up on the right shoulder of the person next to them and sort of casually leaned on them. Very cool.

They did it again in 81 I think.

Clock Solo - That's It!

Thanks Dan, I knew you would be able to help my memory. We must have seen them in '75 at some point, because I remember thinking "wow" to the upgraded version.

Anyway, the Clock solo and the drum break in YPG are some of the drum best stuff ever. At least for me.

Edited by Roark1

You have to give Mighty St. Joe's it's dues in that same breath, we were always right there in execution or above alot of the time (undefeated in 68), under Dick Mecurrio, from the Thompson school of drumming!!!

...of course! St. Joe's was tiiiiiiiiiight! But, you get what I mean 'bout "influence", right? I saw Batavia at Detroit in '68 and wasn't surprised at all when you took the drum trophy...

...of course! St. Joe's was tiiiiiiiiiight! But, you get what I mean 'bout "influence", right? I saw Batavia at Detroit in '68 and wasn't surprised at all when you took the drum trophy...

+1 on St. Joe's line.........but I gotta be a spoilsport and point out that they only got 1/2 the drum trophy in '68--tied with Kilties, who just happened to pull off an incredible performance that night.

Back on topic, a few nominations/seconds:

1966 Troopers: Solo #1

1968 Kilties: Solo #1

1969 BAC: Unsquare Dance

1972 Kingsmen: Uh, whatever that was...off-the-charts snare visuals, among other highlights

1973/74/81 SCV: YPG, of course

1974 Kingsmen: Tubular Bells

1978 Madison: Star Wars solo...not cutting-edge, but what fun--perfect use of a huge line

1981 Madison: Downwind

1984 Cavaliers: Ozark

And +1 on tommytimp's nomination of 82 Defenders Medieval Overture. Only saw/heard it once (Whitewater prelims) and still remember it--great writing.

...here I go dating myself, but if y'all can get a listen to *anything* during the Jerry Shelmer Boston years (my favorites are the mid-sixties lines) you'll hear alot of innovative wide-open stuff. I've ripped alot of drum features out of shows through the years, up to and including "modern" and I always seem to gravitate back to those formative years; the Blue Rock lines of the late sixties and early seventies; the great Cavalier lines; the Jim Jones/Bob Kalkoffen (if you want to know where Fred came from...) Trooper lines; *anything* Bobby Thompson's Blessed Sac...and here came the Kingsmen and Tom Float/Ralph Hardimon. There's a PHD waiting here, folks! :tongue:

Charlie Groh

Loved Shellmer's work with BAC..esp "Unsquare Dance" in 69 (when the bells were permitted to be used).

Blessed Sac's long drum solo in 69 after 'Eleanor Rigby' coming out of concert is still one of my all time favorite solos.

Not sure if Thompson wrote it...in 1970 I know Les Parks wrote BS' drum book, though Thompson was the instructor.