Favorite Drum Breaks

A bit off topic Bob but 40 years later Big Spender still blows me away!!!

Agree 100%, and that '68 St. Joe's drum line really was kick%$#@.

1 cool thing about '68 was that it was the last year that a lot of lines had mostly old-school instrumentation. Kilties started the year 100% old school (snares/tenors/basses/cymbals) and added 2 sets of timp-toms during the year. In '69, they'd converted to "full circus"---tympani, big timp-toms, tri-toms replacing tenors, etc. The transitions lines went through during that time (like, '68-'71?) were fun to watch--and so were some of the crazy instruments they came up with (flapjacks, anyone?).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back in the day, "drum breaks" were different from "drum solos." A so-called "drum feature" is presented in drum corps shows of late and thankfully the emphasis is slowly coming back to make the features longer. Long ago and far away, drum breaks were short transitions into the various pieces and there was always a lengthy drum solo included in the show. Movement has become the emphasis of today however, and has thus become more demanding for drum lines. But for me, I would rather listen to two minutes of beats as opposed to watching drum lines dance all over the place, etc.

Hand to hand flams, inverts, etc. are not known as smooth rudiments, but yes, they made them sound that way! The '75 Vanguard solo was just as impressive...VERY smooth and very clean! I try to just watch the hands/sticks...incredible! I remember when you and "Dr. Dennis" from the Conquistadors were playing the "CLOCK" together, and he was only 15 years old! I never got a chance to learn it, I suppose!

You are so right! They made those rudiments sound so easy and so flowing. When I first heard a recording of "Hero" I thought it was just simple flam taps etc. When Ellerby played it for me back in 72 I was totally amazed at all the trickery. Flam rats, flam drags and those seemingly one handed pat-a-fla-fla's near the end. I had to ask Mike if that was really what they played and he said yes. I was shocked to say the least! I do agree with you on that 75 Vanguard solo. Both "Clock" and Birds" were tough solos and they made it childs play. I especially like the single stroke 32nd's at the end of both solos. I don't think any other drumline attempted those back then. If they did they did NOT do it as well!

BTW...hello to Kelley and Dale! :)

Dale, thanks for the notation on 75 SCV snare. I have attempted but have yet to be able to play the solos! :(

Agree 100%, and that '68 St. Joe's drum line really was kick%$#@.

1 cool thing about '68 was that it was the last year that a lot of lines had mostly old-school instrumentation. Kilties started the year 100% old school (snares/tenors/basses/cymbals) and added 2 sets of timp-toms during the year. In '69, they'd converted to "full circus"---tympani, big timp-toms, tri-toms replacing tenors, etc. The transitions lines went through during that time (like, '68-'71?) were fun to watch--and so were some of the crazy instruments they came up with (flapjacks, anyone?).

Boston Crusaders had a thing called Unsquare Dance in '68 that was drum driven and really cool.

Puppet

Boston Crusaders had a thing called Unsquare Dance in '68 that was drum driven and really cool.

Puppet

Oh, yeah, I still remember that almost note-for-note. Just playing in 7/8 in those days was outrageous, and then add the notes they were playing...the reverence we had for that line was justified. The larger-than-life stories we used to hear about BAC were fun, too. One being that Shellmer would come up with his rhythmic ideas by dropping marbles down a staircase....

Jerry Shellmar was way ahead of his time, I'm surprised that he isn't talked about more in the realm of all-time greats. Those lines in the late 60's-early 70's were deadly.

Jerry Shellmar was way ahead of his time, I'm surprised that he isn't talked about more in the realm of all-time greats. Those lines in the late 60's-early 70's were deadly.

And a lot of guys who made their names in the late 70's and beyond learned their trade under Shellmar's tutelage. Didn't Charlie Poole and Ted Nicholeris come out of BAC? Probably a few others as well.

Fred O.

1992 Crossmen- Puma

..that was an awesome groove!

I also enjoyed Bridgemen 1980-81 Pursuit of the Lady with the Feathered Hat

And a lot of guys who made their names in the late 70's and beyond learned their trade under Shellmar's tutelage. Didn't Charlie Poole and Ted Nicholeris come out of BAC? Probably a few others as well.

Fred O.

Two well known brother tandems Dan and Paul Pitts, Tony and Niel Smith come to mind. Dan Pitts was one hell of a snare drummer, Paul is a well known percussion adjudicator, Tony Smith was the infamous double bass drummer in 1967. Niel Smith as well as Tony are well known for drill design.

Two well known brother tandems Dan and Paul Pitts, Tony and Niel Smith come to mind. Dan Pitts was one hell of a snare drummer, Paul is a well known percussion adjudicator, Tony Smith was the infamous double bass drummer in 1967. Niel Smith as well as Tony are well known for drill design.

Hi Frank,

Yeah, I recall that Paul P. instructed at Boston in the mid 80's or thereabouts, and turned out some pretty good drum lines.The Shellmar/Massachussetts legacy is a strong one here on the east coast.

Fred O.