Jersey Surf 7:52 PM

Raiders 8:09 PM

Intermission 8:26 PM

Crossmen 8:46 PM

Boston Crusaders 9:03 PM

Carolina Crown 9:20 PM

The Cadets 9:37 PM

Bridgemen Alumni 9:54 PM

Should be an interesting night since all judges come on board today. I wonder if the point spreads will change dramatically or stay the same.

Here is the lineup - Show begins at 7:30:

Spartans 7:35 PM

Jersey Surf 7:52 PM

Raiders 8:09 PM

Intermission 8:26 PM

Crossmen 8:46 PM

Boston Crusaders 9:03 PM

Carolina Crown 9:20 PM

The Cadets 9:37 PM

Bridgemen Alumni 9:54 PM

Should be an interesting night since all judges come on board today. I wonder if the point spreads will change dramatically or stay the same.

Sounds cool - I wanted to go to the show today, but I had a parade to march in with the Ravens Band :thumbup: It's all good though, gas and tolls wouldve made the trip a bit pricey anyway. I guess BAC is wrapping up now...

Yeah.. I hope they hurry up with the scores!

After a day watching the “Champions Tour” at our former home golf course, En Joie, in Endicott NY, we took a little detour heading home, (just 2 hours further South…hehe). We found Crown at their rehearsal site for the YEA “Narration in Motion” show, Pequannock Twp High School, in Pompton Plains NJ. We got there about 2:00, and found it very overcast, and a drizzle had been falling off and on all day.

The corps was in sectionals, with the battery and pit running chunks on the practice field, (a grassy area next to the main football field). The guard was using the main field, and the brass were in sections on a nearby baseball outfield. Must be the school banned the corps from using the stadium. Too bad, instead of some nice stands, it was a parking lot or front sideline view.

This battery of 9-5-5 was performing very well. They seemed pretty clean to this horn guy. They didn’t do anything crazy flashy, but seem very solid, and held tempos well for the sections that they worked.

They started ensemble at 3:00. First they ran end of the opener. When they ran from the beginning, with “everyone in the pool”, and got to the build and first sustained chord, I got my first goose bumps of the season. What a gorgeous horn sound, featuring a strong mello voice, and 16 contras. The whole horn book is very exposed, especially the upper brass. The line seemed to have some focus inconsistencies. I heard a lot of variations in articulation as well. The good news is that they have plenty of meat in the book, and a lot of time to clean. This show will be REALLY nice come August. After the brass guy on the scaffolding asked them to match the intensity of their Rockford rehearsal, they ran Barber of Seville with excellent clarity and style. The contra features during the drum break after Claire were MEATY, and they did them VERY well 3 of the 6 times they ran it. One time it was pointed out that their lack of intensity was similar to before the Madison show, apparently a big disappointment to the brass line’s expectations. They were warned that if they continued to practice like that, a repeat was possible.

The staff tried motivating the kids by mentioning that tonight would be the 25th anniversary celebration of the 83 Cadets: “We were taught by this legendary staff, and now we teach you, it’s called generations. What a great opportunity you have during Candide to pay homage to a legendary drum corps show”. Also mentioned was that the sops do a Z pull tribute at some point, which I had not noticed. Before they did their run through, the brass tech on the scaffold also pointed out to them that legendary brass arranger Jim Prime, who wrote the horn book for 83 Cadets, was standing nearby to see them. He invited the members to “perform” for him, as well as all the appreciative former Cadets who would be at the night show. Nice touch!

The run through was pretty solid, hard to see the visual, even from the roof of the van. The brass did not play ANY of the impact points during the run through, however, which was a little disappointment to us all. We met up with some friends, who were going to the show, to get some dinner.

I was a little bummed that I had decided to “boycott” YEA by not buying tix. The 2-hour drive home was made better by the thought of the Stanford web cast waiting for us when we got there.

I hope these scores get up before my store closes for the night!

Dale!

Music in Motion-New Jersey

Place Corps Score

World Class

1 The Cadets 82.050

2 Carolina Crown 80.900

3 Boston Crusaders 77.250

4 Crossmen 72.850

Open Class

1 Jersey Surf 72.950

2 Raiders 60.450

3 Spartans 59.200