Intimidation vs. Leadership

I'm interested in hearing from corps vets--and corps parents--on how the various DCI organizations train their members. I've heard (secondhand) that a particular group trains to the breaking point, using long hours and heavy-handed tactics to push members' performance. Corps vets: how did your corps train? Were you inspired to perform, or broken and remade, a la Marine Corps style ideology? Corps parents: how do YOU feel about turning your children over to an organization that is unafraid to scream, intimidate, or otherwise demean in the name of 'passion' and 'performance?'

How do the top corps--the ones that have a stranglehold on the upper echelon--train? I'm curious.

Discuss amongst yourselves...but posting would be instructive. Thanks!

Edited by CoatsContraDad

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, oh. I can see where this is going. We're being baited.

troll.jpg

Garry in Vegas

My corps was a mix of both. We would be pushed pretty hard, especially by the visual staff, in an almost boot camp sort of way I guess you could put it. Part of that was also to harden us and keep with the "tough" image the corps was to portray in uniform, it works and still has to this day. I guess it's also important to note that we didn't have long water breaks (gush and go), but I'm pretty sure everyone is like that except a couple of your top corps. But as far as rehearsal goes, we were never put through near the stuff the Cadets people do. The Cadets really know what hard work and a good ### kicking is. From what I know, Phantom and others have very tough staff members and approach to rehearsal to.

Uh, oh. I can see where this is going. We're being baited.

troll.jpg

Garry in Vegas

Not at all--I've got no ulterior motives, don't have any angle on singling out any corps in particular. I'm just curious. I know these kids work hard--performing at this level demands that. I'd just like to see how the top-flight groups work to attain and sustain their positions.

I seek understanding...:)

Edited by CoatsContraDad

My corps was a mix of both. We would be pushed pretty hard, especially by the visual staff, in an almost boot camp sort of way I guess you could put it. Part of that was also to harden us and keep with the "tough" image the corps was to portray in uniform, it works and still has to this day. I guess it's also important to note that we didn't have long water breaks (gush and go), but I'm pretty sure everyone is like that except a couple of your top corps. But as far as rehearsal goes, we were never put through near the stuff the Cadets people do. The Cadets really know what hard work and a good ### kicking is. From what I know, Phantom and others have very tough staff members and approach to rehearsal to.

Did you know about this style of training going in, or was it a surprise to you once you started? More importantly--do you feel you benefited from it? Did others in your group?

Did you know about this style of training going in, or was it a surprise to you once you started? More importantly--do you feel you benefited from it? Did others in your group?

Actually, I wasn't surprised at all going in to it. I actually figured all drum corps were like mine when I was going through the winter season and move-in of my rookie season, THEN I got on tour and saw and interacted with other corps. I was more surprised by some of the other corps (not that what they do is wrong in any way). It depends. Sometimes staff members can take things too far, but those are isolated incidents. But the overarching idea of getting your ### kicked in drum corps, I think, is what the activity is about. Every corps has different perspectives in how they rehearse and how they want to corps to represent themselves, some want to have the more "relaxed" approach, others want to be badasses, that's just the nature of having all these different groups.

Actually, I wasn't surprised at all going in to it. I actually figured all drum corps were like mine when I was going through the winter season and move-in of my rookie season, THEN I got on tour and saw and interacted with other corps. I was more surprised by some of the other corps (not that what they do is wrong in any way). It depends. Sometimes staff members can take things too far, but those are isolated incidents. But the overarching idea of getting your ### kicked in drum corps, I think, is what the activity is about. Every corps has different perspectives in how they rehearse and how they want to corps to represent themselves, some want to have the more "relaxed" approach, others want to be badasses, that's just the nature of having all these different groups.

Hey, thanks for your insight--it's much appreciated. Question: how did your staff handle bad shows, or particular sections not performing up to standards? (Realizing that 'standards' are what it's all about, what with corps tradition, competition during the season, etc. It's why they keep score; that's understood.) What was the training/rehearsal vibe like after a not-so-hot performance?

Anyone?

Edited by CoatsContraDad

But as far as rehearsal goes, we were never put through near the stuff the Cadets people do. The Cadets really know what hard work and a good ### kicking is.

Not all the horror stories are true :thumbup:

If they were nobody would march Cadets

I'm interested in hearing from corps vets--and corps parents--on how the various DCI organizations train their members. I've heard (secondhand) that a particular group trains to the breaking point, using long hours and heavy-handed tactics to push members' performance. Corps vets: how did your corps train? Were you inspired to perform, or broken and remade, a la Marine Corps style ideology? Corps parents: how do YOU feel about turning your children over to an organization that is unafraid to scream, intimidate, or otherwise demean in the name of 'passion' and 'performance?'

How do the top corps--the ones that have a stranglehold on the upper echelon--train? I'm curious.

Discuss amongst yourselves...

Well, I can't comment on BD of today, but back in 84 I don't ever remember being yelled at my staff....being talked to with a stern voice, yes...but never screaming like a bad Drill Instructor

Fact is, the staff didn't HAVE to come down on rookies like me...the vets did that by example. I was never taken aside and threatened in anyt way...the vets did the same stuff the rest of us did...snapping to attention when called, pinging their horn bells when they fracked or dropping for pushups after a set run (to aknowledge and take responsibility for the mistake, not as punishment), etc.

On the field, if I had a question about the drill (which as a corps rookie, I did), I was never told "figure it out"...I was helped with findign a solution....even once to the point of a minor drill change to accomodate the fact that I was looking out the side of my glasses to the right, and my right eye is VERY near-sighted...to the point where I could not dress the form.

We got adequate breaks, food, and water (in fact, we ate better than a lot of corps that year), and I never felt put upon by anyone (the three snuggies I got don't really count in the long run)

The only time I remember Wayne getting upset with the brass line was one night when we were in sectional. We were on a break, and as brass guys are wont to do, farting around with some truly horrid sounds coming out the bells.

Wayne lets the break run its course, calls up to attention, and said in a conversational and non-confrontational voice that he had never before heard some ugly sounds from any pro or semi-pro group and that he did not expect to hear them again (he might as well been reading the weather report....that's how bland his delivery was). And y'know what? He DIDN'T hear them again....we new then that we'd not only let him down, we'd let ourselves down...and we never let it happen again.

Not all the horror stories are true :thumbup:

If they were nobody would march Cadets

Folks, this isn't a sneaky way to bash the Cadets--that's not what I'm looking for here. I'm more interested in some real-world experience from those of you who've been on the road--and some of your parents, too, if'n ya'll are amenable to posting.