Intimidation vs. Leadership

"Trumpets, we worked on that all day during sectionals and you are going to come out here now and give me that?!?"

Or, my favorite staff quote of all time

"Set it up at letter G"

*everyone goes to letter B or C because of Sully's accent*

"I said G! As in Gahfield... a corps that could ####in mahch"

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Trumpets, we worked on that all day during sectionals and you are going to come out here now and give me that?!?"

That kind of stuff--regardless of the intensity with which it's delivered--is pretty legitimate, as far as I'm concerned. It calls out a group, it demands accountability, and it reinforces that correct behavior has already been experienced in the sectional.

That, I can live with.

"I said G! As in Gahfield... a corps that could ####in mahch"

That sounds a lot like George Zingali.

Yeah, see--context demands that I intuit the one doing the yelling is calling out a subpar effort, if I read your post correctly. Is it worthwhile to demean a kid like that in front of the group if he/she is trying? Is it not more productive to do the instruction one-on-one?

Secondly, if anyone cusses me like that, I'm going to bow up, to use the Texas vernacular. They talk to my kid like that, I'M getting on a plane.

1st I would say with the talent level today both as members and staff I can't see that being a remark to a kid that IS trying but rather a half ###ed attempt at getting by. If indeed the kid IS doing the best he can, the staff should know that by now and made the correction.

On your second note may I add that I doubt your kid would be the kid getting cursed at, but most likely the kid who's parents never taught them to get off their ### and get the job done. It's amazing to me, as a teacher, how many parents don't prepare their kids for anything in life and it's usually the kid that you lose your cool with that end up becoming your biggest supporter.

1st I would say with the talent level today both as members and staff I can't see that being a remark to a kid that IS trying but rather a half ###ed attempt at getting by. If indeed the kid IS doing the best he can, the staff should know that by now and made the correction.

On your second note may I add that I doubt your kid would be the kid getting cursed at, but most likely the kid who's parents never taught them to get off their ### and get the job done. It's amazing to me, as a teacher, how many parents don't prepare their kids for anything in life and it's usually the kid that you lose your cool with that end up becoming your biggest supporter.

Let me pose a question to you as an educator, then: When you've got a kid who's half-a##ing it, (and I assume as a band director you know these kids a LOT better than their other teachers do), how do you handle it? Do you lose it with them, or do you take the context of the kid's situation--boyfriend/girlfriend drama, family life (or lack thereof), etc.--into account?

I appreciate your kind words about my son's attitude; he came from a great high school program, and of course, he IS my son. :thumbup: Thank you.

Edited by CoatsContraDad

Let me pose a question to you as an educator, then: When you've got a kid who's half-a##ing it, (and I assume as a band director you know these kids a LOT better than their other teachers do), how do you handle it? Do you lose it with them, or do you take the context of the kid's situation--boyfriend/girlfriend drama, family life (or lack thereof), etc.--into account?

I appreciate your kind words about my son's attitude; he came from a great high school program, and of course, he IS my son. :thumbup: Thank you.

As a band director, and someone who's been around drum corps, and taught band, there is a certain legitimacy to what you are saying. The thing with kids to keep in mind is that they all have crap going on. Its not really important for you to know what the 'crap' is, since it would be a little impossible to keep track of everyone's business (and why would you want to), but just keep in mind that it's there. That said, in drum corps, its pretty much widely accepted that your real life doesnt exist for 3 months - in fact that's one of the major incentives of marching corps. Another thing to take into account is the 'reverse' familiarity - in other words, how comfortable is the member with the staff. If a 6 year vet at cadets messes up, a staff member may insult him in a way that they never would a green rookie - just because the vet can take it, and will probably treat it as a joke. Thats the kind of things you need to know about your group members - not every intimate detail of their life.

As a band director, and someone who's been around drum corps, and taught band, there is a certain legitimacy to what you are saying. The thing with kids to keep in mind is that they all have crap going on. Its not really important for you to know what the 'crap' is, since it would be a little impossible to keep track of everyone's business (and why would you want to), but just keep in mind that it's there. That said, in drum corps, its pretty much widely accepted that your real life doesnt exist for 3 months - in fact that's one of the major incentives of marching corps. Another thing to take into account is the 'reverse' familiarity - in other words, how comfortable is the member with the staff. If a 6 year vet at cadets messes up, a staff member may insult him in a way that they never would a green rookie - just because the vet can take it, and will probably treat it as a joke. Thats the kind of things you need to know about your group members - not every intimate detail of their life.

Thanks, Nick. That's the kind of feedback I'm needing to try and get a handle on a 'best practices' ideal for instruction. It seems that context--and the responsibility to factor in context--is a huge determinant in what works and what doesn't within a certain group's dynamic.

Re: being a band director and kids: I'm not an educator, so I don't have the firsthand experience you would, but based on the program in which my kids marched, it's kind of hard for a director NOT to learn the day-to-day soap operas in which the kids are involved. You guys are so much more involved with the heathens than most of their other instructors are, yeah? Does that 'reverse familiarity' thing come into play at the high school level, in your experience?

Thanks, Nick. That's the kind of feedback I'm needing to try and get a handle on a 'best practices' ideal for instruction. It seems that context--and the responsibility to factor in context--is a huge determinant in what works and what doesn't within a certain group's dynamic.

Re: being a band director and kids: I'm not an educator, so I don't have the firsthand experience you would, but based on the program in which my kids marched, it's kind of hard for a director NOT to learn the day-to-day soap operas in which the kids are involved. You guys are so much more involved with the heathens than most of their other instructors are, yeah? Does that 'reverse familiarity' thing come into play at the high school level, in your experience?

Context' is a good word - and its one of the reasons why online discussions about the subject are difficult. As far as being a director - I was a middle school teacher last year, in a pretty hard area, so I kind of avoided the kids personal problems. With my kids, it was more a matter of did they get any sleep last night, or were they hearing gunshots, or did their best friend get suspended again... I had one girl that was a great kid, who would come in some days and just pass out. Most of the time, she looked so tired that I didnt even bother her. As far as High School, it may be different - since you have the kids for 4 years, and see them outside of school, you may get to know them better. Ive never worked at one school for that long - and when I do im only the 'marching band' guy, so I dont get to know them quite as well...