Intimidation vs. Leadership

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would argue that there is a difference between yelling and verbal abuse

Well, that's an interesting take on it. Do you respond to being yelled at? What's the threshold of whatever it is you did or didn't do that would justify it?

I'm all about being personally accountable; this type of an activity demands that kind of accountability. I just wonder how many kids respond to that kind of thing, or whether instructors risk a kid shutting down rather than taking the instruction beneath the bluster.

I'd argue, btw, that there is not MUCH of a difference between yelling and verbal abuse. You yell at me to keep me from harm or from harming someone else, that's justified because you need to get my attention. You yell at me because I didn't do what you expected me to do, I'm probably going to focus on your behavior rather than your expectation. Which is the mature way to communicate?

I think you guys are picturing a different kind of yelling than what I'm talking about.

I'm not talking about drill instructor getting up in someones face and verbally abusing them.

And unless I'm remembering with rose colored glasses it generally wasn't "yelling" at specific individuals from the field staff. If someone on the field yelled it was at the entire corps (or specific section) for doing something stupid.

Edited by dbc03

In my two years with Cap Reg, I had both sides of the coin.

In 2002, most of our staff were BD alumni, and they brought that to rehearsal. It was very much a laid-back instructional style, with high expectations that we would "police ourselves" without having to be screamed at constantly. As a result, we were able to goof off a bit, but we also had a pretty good sense of when it was time to hunker down and get to work. It was a very fun year.

In 2003, it was the complete opposite. It was our first year in D1, and expectations were VERY high for us since we had made semis last year. Lots of staff overhauls- Dave Tippet was our brass caption, Wayne Dillon was the program coordinator, and lots of Cadets alums were brought in to cover both brass and visual. And it really was a night and day difference- that year's staff was very intense, very in-your-face, and it was more than some of our younger members could handle, honestly.

I think the OP will appreciate this quote from Jon Wooden- "It's better to lead from in front with a banner than from behind with a whip". Speaks for itself, imo.

"If you don't want to work, pack your ####en ####, and GET ON A PLANE......You mean you paid over 2000 dollars to come here and do this HALF ***ED"

Yeah, see--context demands that I intuit the one doing the yelling is calling out a subpar effort, if I read your post correctly. Is it worthwhile to demean a kid like that in front of the group if he/she is trying? Is it not more productive to do the instruction one-on-one?

Secondly, if anyone cusses me like that, I'm going to bow up, to use the Texas vernacular. They talk to my kid like that, I'M getting on a plane.

In 2002, most of our staff were BD alumni, and they brought that to rehearsal. It was very much a laid-back instructional style, with high expectations that we would "police ourselves" without having to be screamed at constantly. As a result, we were able to goof off a bit, but we also had a pretty good sense of when it was time to hunker down and get to work. It was a very fun year.

In 2003, it was the complete opposite. It was our first year in D1, and expectations were VERY high for us since we had made semis last year. Lots of staff overhauls- Dave Tippet was our brass caption, Wayne Dillon was the program coordinator, and lots of Cadets alums were brought in to cover both brass and visual. And it really was a night and day difference- that year's staff was very intense, very in-your-face, and it was more than some of our younger members could handle, honestly.

I think the OP will appreciate this quote from Jon Wooden- "It's better to lead from in front with a banner than from behind with a whip". Speaks for itself, imo.

Wayne is pretty laid back though, definitely not like other Cadets staff. Maybe he was different at Cap Reg, but it can't be that much of a difference.

I agree, Matt, thanks. Do you feel like the changeover year was more positive overall, or did you guys lose some of the members who could've come back the next season?