Santa Clara's Show

Good morning -

Spoke to several Vanguard folks who said the "Vanguard!" yell is not in yet. So, we didn't miss it.

Instead - the part where the guard does finger snapping and clapping? I get the impression that the audience should be contributing here as it would be rather effective echoing around the stadium.

But many in the audience are not familiar and no one from the audience is yet contributing. To be honest with you...it's a bad moment in their show. Members of the guard huddled around microphones. It looks silly and the crowd reaction has been generally..."What the F$%#?"

The show as a whole is really dirty. They got a HUGE gift from the Glendale judging panel. No way that show was as show ready as Regiment's. I knew once a full panel saw it, they would be dropping like a stone.

I'm thinking San Antonio will be very telling for SCV. Right now, I see them as a 4th place corps this year. If Cadets re-write the narration, they could be 5th again.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mike McCool = God.

'Nuff said. I ain't worried.

Oh...before I get an email...

Jeff Pearson = God, too.

But many in the audience are not familiar and no one from the audience is yet contributing. To be honest with you...it's a bad moment in their show. Members of the guard huddled around microphones. It looks silly and the crowd reaction has been generally..."What the F$%#?"

The show as a whole is really dirty. They got a HUGE gift from the Glendale judging panel. No way that show was as show ready as Regiment's. I knew once a full panel saw it, they would be dropping like a stone.

I'm thinking San Antonio will be very telling for SCV. Right now, I see them as a 4th place corps this year. If Cadets re-write the narration, they could be 5th again.

Quoting what I said in the "yell" thread...

For those wondering where the "yell" is,

Since day one of the conception of this piece of music, SCV planned a huge audience participation segment as part of the production. Starting this week, watch the guys in the color guard after the "Thunder Clap" and you will know what to do as a performing member to create a massive rain effect while participating as musicians instead of people wanting to "yell". This is why there isn't a spot for the "yell" this year.

So... forget about trying to find a spot for the "yell." There isn't one.

Don't ask me who told me. If I told you, I'd have to go all Spartacus on you. :laughing:

Can we get a source for this? Not saying it's inaccurate, but it is a pretty bold statement and I wouldn't mind getting some confirmation.

I've just been under the impression that the closer wasn't on the field because it wasn't ready. I saw a run through in 07 where SCV performed the entire show, and then I saw them the very next night in Riverside and they stopped before the closer because it wasn't ready for the actual field. And then the next night they played it in Walnut, and not only did they have three falls in the closer but they also stopped beating the Blue Devils around then too. So this year I thought they just wanted to be ready.

For obvious reasons I don't want to go into too great of detail, but it was a member of the corps.

For obvious reasons I don't want to go into too great of detail, but it was a member of the corps.

Enough said. Thanks....well shoot, that's something I'm not too happy to hear.

I'm very confident that SCV will have, when it comes down to it, a great show, just like they have EVERY SINGLE year! :laughing: No worries here.

Edited by helmsm

I found out last night that the closer wasn't on the field until now because THERE WAS NO DRILL WRITTEN. I think Pete Weber does an excellent job in writing the drill, but come on. Really? That has little to nothing to do with the rehearsal site. To me that falls in the hands of one person.

HEY NOW!! . Let's put the breaks on here.

Let's not lay blame on just one guy!!! As a drill writer myself, I know there are many things that could have delayed the process.

Music re-writes, The design team still trying to iron out the final touches, even staff not wanting to move forward on teaching. Pete does a great job, :unhappy: but still, he has to have ALL the info in his hands before writing.

I found out last night that the closer wasn't on the field until now because THERE WAS NO DRILL WRITTEN. I think Pete Weber does an excellent job in writing the drill, but come on. Really? That has little to nothing to do with the rehearsal site. To me that falls in the hands of one person.

Ha! Yeah, what a jerk sabotaging the drum corps and all.

Anybody here well-versed enough in dance and SCV's guard program to tell me if the Vanguard is consciously doing choreography in the style of Mark Morris (maybe even for the past few years)?

This year's "Chairman Dances" section, with the nifty leisure suits and the musical "hopping", seem almost a direct lift from the brilliant Mr. Morris's playbook...