Best on-field murder in Phantom's show?

217 members have voted

1. 1. Best Phantom murder?

• 1st guard dude (murdered by other guard dude; sword)
    • 2nd guard chick (murdered by drum major; knife)
    • 3rd guard dude (murdered by hornline; horns)

If you really are where your profile says you are, I thank you for your service. But, you, more than anyone else back here, knows that killing is not something that is cool or funny or should be glorified.

Right. However I don't believe Regiment's show is glorifying killing. They are telling a story. The same story that's been told for years and years. I am a Christian. Should I not teach my kids the story of Cain and Able because one sibling murders another! Oh no! My kids won't be able to handle it; they will flip out and kill their schools!

Get real. If you are in-touch with young people these days than you know that 2 hours before this show they were probably blowing each other up with grenade launchers and machine guns in a game of Halo or Call of Duty 4. THAT perhaps is glorifying death. Regiment's show, not so much.

Also check this out (note: THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH DRUM CORPS. IT IS MY UNIT IN AFGHANISTAN. ALSO WARNING: STRONG LANGUAGE):

So yeah, I wouldn't say that we don't glorify death or not treat it as comedy. We mourn our fallen brothers, but we also make light of the situation and definitely glorify the killing of the enemy. But that's just war I guess.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, there was a Seinfeld episode dealing with people making out in a movie theater during Schindler's List. It doesn't mean that Spielberg was "teaching" people to not take those events seriously, or intending for it to eventually end up on a sitcom. I'm pretty sure he never saw that one coming. The same thing goes for the Regiment staff and this particular poll.

You're all over the place with your assumptions--which posts, exactly, do you consider to be made by marching members, willfully (and, apparently, recklessly) allowed by corps staff? Or, did you just pull that out of your arse? (I'm still not sure what exactly this has to do with Bonfiglio or Royer, unless--and this is just a wild guess on my part--you're saying that the latter kept a tighter rein on how the members discussed "dead" color guard being carried off the field in 90? Again, I honestly don't know...)

Neither one of them would have allowed corps members to speak to the public like this. Hello! The internet is about as public as you can get. Certainly not current marching members. And I'd like to hope former members would have enough class (which they learned from drum corps) to not make comments like this in public and be stupid enough to put what corps they marched in, in their signature in the post. I counted at least 10 former marching members (who put it in their signature) and one guy whose little brother died last year, who were talking about how "fun" it is to have a graphic throat slashing and other murders in a drum corps show. Real classy.

Yes, the non drum corps fan instantly understands this. They don't know crap about Spartacus. They see a graphic throat cutting, when they were expecting stars and stripes forever and the cute little cheerleaders. And then say to themselves, why did I pay to see THIS? No, we don't need goths and their like in drum corps. We saw their handywork at Columbine, Virginia Tech and other places. No thanks, we don't need people who don't give a #### about the image of drum corps or themselves.

No, I'm not out of touch. I have a teenager. I am way too in touch. I know BS when I see it. Drum corps is not going to grow because of staging murders on a football field. Just the opposite. RESPONSIBLE parents are not going to put up with this.

And for a smart###ed political statement.................

Hummmm, California, where most of you don't want to drill off your coast for oil and natural gas yet over 3/4 of the oil and gas taken from Louisiana goes to fuel people who don't want to drill for it in their back yard. Let's have a discussion about who's out of touch.

There are bigger fish to fry than a mock killing in drum corps to get feathers ruffled over. Speaking of feathers, what are your feelings about killing birds for REAL feather plumes ? :tongue:

You can't have the best of everything, even in California though I might miss it when it slides into the ocean. :tongue:

( beware the fat old band director who has nothing to do all summer but post on DCP )

:tongue:

So yeah, I wouldn't say that we don't glorify death or not treat it as comedy. We mourn our fallen brothers, but we also make light of the situation and definitely glorify the killing of the enemy. But that's just war I guess.

Considering were 27th Lancers got their name, I find this all a bit ironic to be honest..

PS--I love the corps name 27th Lancers...One of my favorites

Edited by Feathers Up

And for a smart###ed political statement.................

Hummmm, California, where most of you don't want to drill off your coast for oil and natural gas yet over 3/4 of the oil and gas taken from Louisiana goes to fuel people who don't want to drill for it in their back yard. Let's have a discussion about who's out of touch.

There are bigger fish to fry than a mock killing in drum corps to get feathers ruffled over. Speaking of feathers, what are your feelings about killing birds for REAL feather plumes ? :tongue:

You can't have the best of everything, even in California though I might miss it when it slides into the ocean. :tongue:

( beware the fat old band director who has nothing to do all summer but post on DCP )

:tongue:

You are absolutely right. Oil is a lot more important than drum corps. Drum Corps is fantasy. Oil is the real world. We need to drill off the California coast. Or more accurately, drill more. We are already drilling off the coast and have been for decades. There are at least 6 oil rigs pumping less than 5 miles off of Huntington Beach and 3 or more oil drilling islands in Long Beach harbor. All pumping oil. We had an oil spill off Huntington Beach about 15 year ago. Everything was cleaned up in a couple weeks. No big deal.

I'm not a birdy or bunny hugger. You can use all the bird feathers for plumes you want. The other birds will hatch more. California is not all fruits and nuts. There are some people with common sense here. I hope New Orleans gets back on it's feet soon. Have been there, great city and great people.

Edited by 27Socal

You are absolutely right. Oil is a lot more important than drum corps. We need to drill off the California coast. Or more accurately, drill more. We are already drilling off the coast and have been for decades. There are at least 6 oil rigs pumping less than 5 miles off of Huntington Beach and 3 or more oil drilling islands in Long Beach harbor. All pumping oil. We had an oil spill off Huntington Beach about 15 year ago. Everything was cleaned up in a couple weeks. No big deal.

I'm not a birdy or bunny hugger. You can use all the bird feathers for plumes you want. The other birds will hatch more. California is not all fruits and nuts. There are some people with common sense here. I hope New Orleans get back on it's feet soon. Have been there, great city and great people.

Thanks, but I don't see much positive for NOLA in my lifetime. Unless more than 5 people get murdered on the same street corner it really doesn't draw much attention these days. I guess thats why I don't see this as a big deal.

Maybe it's because of living here that I've gotten the "so what" attitude. I stayed for Katrina and even though I was well prepared and didn't suffer at all, I saw first hand the meltdown of society and in many ways that were never shown on TV. If I wasn't "tainted" and lived in the "mom, apple pie and Chevrolet" part of American, maybe I would question it also......who knows.

But I'm looking forward to seeing it live. ( now doesn't THAT sound strange: " looking forward to seeing three fake murders, live)

Considering were 27th Lancers got their name, I find this all a bit ironic to be honest..

PS--I love the corps name 27th Lancers...One of my favorites

The Lancers never had any graphic stabbings in their show that I can recall. I never said who I marched with. You can assume what you want.

I don't have a problem with artistic, tastefully done depictions of death in a drum corps show. As many have pointed out, it has been done many times before.

But, this is not what this is. It is a graphic throat slashing murder in a drum corps show. DESIGNED FOR CHEAP SHOCK VALUE. (i.e. the "gasps" at every show). Nothing artistic about it (which could be argued for the other 2 murders in the same show). I felt sick to my stomach the first time I saw it. Maybe we should send a copy of the video to the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman, and see if they think it's "fun" and "cool".

But, this is not what this is. It is a graphic throat slashing murder in a drum corps show. DESIGNED FOR CHEAP SHOCK VALUE. (i.e. the "gasps" at every show). Nothing artistic about it (which could be argued for the other 2 murders in the same show). I felt sick to my stomach the first time I saw it. Maybe we should send a copy of the video to the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman, and see if they think it's "fun" and "cool".

Since I DIDN'T see it, could you explain why you feel it's different than the other two ?

What makes the other two acceptable and this one not ?

The Lancers never had any graphic stabbings in their show that I can recall. I never said who I marched with. You can assume what you want.

I don't have a problem with artistic, tastefully done depictions of death in a drum corps show. As many have pointed out, it has been done many times before.

Ok, you are just out of control. Are you kidding me? Why don't you send them a copy of the Bible, or perhaps some oil paintings from the 1400's. Shock value can be used as an artistic tool. Now, if phantom had their guard simulate random assassinations just for the sake of it then there might be controversy here. However all they are doing is telling a story, and telling the more "shocking" side of it. Would you shelter your kids from watching The Passion of the Christ? I mean, it's rated R and filled with violence and death! It's also basically word-for-word from the Bible.

You are just blowing my mind. You're either making this crap up for the sake of argument or... geez, if you really believe the stuff you are saying I don't know what to think. Maybe move to Canada?

no offense, canadians...

Thanks, but I don't see much positive for NOLA in my lifetime. Unless more than 5 people get murdered on the same street corner it really doesn't draw much attention these days. I guess thats why I don't see this as a big deal.

Maybe it's because of living here that I've gotten the "so what" attitude. I stayed for Katrina and even though I was well prepared and didn't suffer at all, I saw first hand the meltdown of society and in many ways that were never shown on TV. If I wasn't "tainted" and lived in the "mom, apple pie and Chevrolet" part of American, maybe I would question it also......who knows.

But I'm looking forward to seeing it live. ( now doesn't THAT sound strange: " looking forward to seeing three fake murders, live)

I hear you brother. The rest of the the country seems to have forgotten about n'orlins. I understand that you have been desensitized, but do you really think a graphic murder belongs in a drum corps show?