Best on-field murder in Phantom's show?

217 members have voted

1. 1. Best Phantom murder?

• 1st guard dude (murdered by other guard dude; sword)
    • 2nd guard chick (murdered by drum major; knife)
    • 3rd guard dude (murdered by hornline; horns)

Since I DIDN'T see it, could you explain why you feel it's different than the other two ?

What makes the other two acceptable and this one not ?

The other 2 were kind of cartoonish. Like all the ones in past drum corps shows.

But, the second is too realistic. Like some psycho we have all seen walking down a street. Then imagine that he pulls out a gun or knife and murders someone right there in front of you. Then picks them up and throws them to the ground like a sack of garbage. That's what he did to that girl. Way too graphic.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Lancers never had any graphic stabbings in their show that I can recall. I never said who I marched with. You can assume what you want.

I don't have a problem with artistic, tastefully done depictions of death in a drum corps show. As many have pointed out, it has been done many times before.

But, this is not what this is. It is a graphic throat slashing murder in a drum corps show. DESIGNED FOR CHEAP SHOCK VALUE. (i.e. the "gasps" at every show). Nothing artistic about it (which could be argued for the other 2 murders in the same show). I felt sick to my stomach the first time I saw it. Maybe we should send a copy of the video to the families of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman, and see if they think it's "fun" and "cool".

What?

The murder depicted in the middle of Phantom's show is extremely artistic and very well done. It is supposed to make you feel sick to your stomach

and make you gasp. It is accurately portraying the emotion of the story by doing so.

You really need to step back and remember to detach yourself from the real world to some extent when watching an artistic event like a drum corps show, so that you can appreciate the power and grotesque nature of the portrayal of murder(in the show) for what it is in that context.

Ok, you are just out of control. Are you kidding me? Why don't you send them a copy of the Bible, or perhaps some oil paintings from the 1400's. Shock value can be used as an artistic tool. Now, if phantom had their guard simulate random assassinations just for the sake of it then there might be controversy here. However all they are doing is telling a story, and telling the more "shocking" side of it. Would you shelter your kids from watching The Passion of the Christ? I mean, it's rated R and filled with violence and death! It's also basically word-for-word from the Bible.

You are just blowing my mind. You're either making this crap up for the sake of argument or... geez, if you really believe the stuff you are saying I don't know what to think. Maybe move to Canada?

no offense, canadians...

" if phantom had their guard simulate random assassinations just for the sake of it then there might be controversy here. "

That's exactly the way it comes across to 99% of the non drum corps audience and 90% of the drum corps audience. They don't know the story of Spartacus and don't want to know the story of Spartacus because frankly it's boring as hell. At least the last time Phantom did Spartacus they actually passed out flyers telling the story. This time no flyers and certainly no warning that you are about to see a simulation of a girl's head cut off in front of you.

No, I'm not out of control. Just a responsible parent with an opinion, that may not match your's. I thought you were fighting for my right to express an opinion? And no, I will not let my teenager see an R rated movie filled with violence and death. I don't care what religious mythology it's based on.

I have been involved with drum corps for probably longer than you have been alive. I have seen the good it can do for people. There used to be over 100 drum corps in what is now world class. Hard to believe isn't it. I have seen many bone head moves in the past that have resulted in only having about 20 corps left. One is the change to the "artistic" shows. If you want to decrease the audience size and thus decrease the number of corps to under 10, then let's keep having decapitations on the 50 yard line for the sake of being artistic.

Edited by 27Socal

I hear you brother. The rest of the the country seems to have forgotten about n'orlins. I understand that you have been desensitized, but do you really think a graphic murder belongs in a drum corps show?

We SHOULD be forgotten about because of all the corruption and politics, but thats another whole discussion.

I guess my question is ( which will be answerd when I see it) just how important is it in telling the story? Does it portray the theme correctly and would the audience be as moved ( good or bad ) without it ?

I remember hearing Arogonne Rebels "nailing Christ to the cross" during JC Superstar ( 71 ? ) and really feeling it in my gut. Yes, it made me actually think about the feeling of being nailed to a cross. Could they have done without it ? Yes. Would it have given people that haunting, gut wrenched feeling without the snare hits and just the chord build up ? No. Many people have played it, but even after all these years, that sticks out to me as one of the best versions I've ever experienced because of how uncomfortable it made me feel and because it seemed as if the nailing went on forever.

My God that was a great hornline.

We SHOULD be forgotten about because of all the corruption and politics, but thats another whole discussion.

I guess my question is ( which will be answerd when I see it) just how important is it in telling the story? Does it portray the theme correctly and would the audience be as moved ( good or bad ) without it ?

I remember hearing Arogonne Rebels "nailing Christ to the cross" during JC Superstar ( 71 ? ) and really feeling it in my gut. Yes, it made me actually think about the feeling of being nailed to a cross. Could they have done without it ? Yes. Would it have given people that haunting, gut wrenched feeling without the snare hits and just the chord build up ? No. Many people have played it, but even after all these years, that sticks out to me as one of the best versions I've ever experienced because of how uncomfortable it made me feel and because it seemed as if the nailing went on forever.

My God that was a great hornline.

That's the sad thing about this issue. They don't need it. This is one superb drum corps underneath this fluff. The audience is screaming at the end of the show because of the fantastic drum line, horn line and colorguard. They are not screaming because they just saw someone's throat cut. I could care less about the story. They're mainly gimmicks. I go to a drum corps show to see drum lines, horn lines and colorguards. If people want to see graphic violence they can go to a slasher movie (I have never seen one and never will. Maybe it's strange, but I don't enjoy being disgusted).

By the way, I loved the Blue Raeders from Meterie in the 70's. They had a fantastic tenor solo in that show. Wish they lasted a few more years.

Yes, I saw that Argonne show. I think it was 71. The New London Surfers also played JC superstar a year or two later. They raised a cross in the show, but without the nailing theatrics. I liked that version better. And yes, Sandra Opie put out a number of incredible horn lines with Argonne. Did they make it to early DCI? I think so.

Edited by 27Socal

What?

The murder depicted in the middle of Phantom's show is extremely artistic and very well done. It is supposed to make you feel sick to your stomach

and make you gasp. It is accurately portraying the emotion of the story by doing so.

You really need to step back and remember to detach yourself from the real world to some extent when watching an artistic event like a drum corps show, so that you can appreciate the power and grotesque nature of the portrayal of murder(in the show) for what it is in that context.

:tongue:

Well put.

Edited by 27Socal

Half right, Bleu Raeders and thats a good memory on the tim tom solo in 72. Hard to believe there were once 5 active corps in New Orleans...........must have been the violence BAHAHAHA

( sorry couldn't help my sarcastic self ) :tongue:

Edited by The Other Mike

Just wait, stop and think.

Maybe one of the messages that can be taken away from their show is,

"Wow, those portayals of murders were disturbing to watch and really made an impact on me,

let's all do whatever we can to prevent that in our society."

Maybe?

Half right, Bleu Raeders and thats a good memory on the tim tom solo in 72. Hard to believe there were once 5 active corps in New Orleans...........must have been the violence BAHAHAHA

( sorry couldn't help my sarcastic self ) :tongue:

That's right. The french spelling.

Yes, the New Orleans corps folded because of the violence in their shows. See, we should all learn from this. :tongue: