What Happens if the Cadets win?

another thing I've been thinking about...

This is as much the judges fault as it is Hoppy's or DCI's...

if the judges would judge the narration accurately...i.e., lower the GE score because said narration is horrible compared to the rest of the corps, then the Cadets would be scoring much lower, and they'd would drop it like a hot potatoe ($1 to Dan Quayle)

As long as narration isn't judged properly, it's a free license to perform it without retribution.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Mike Davis, if the SOPRANOS had changed their ways in say the 4th season and stopped their traditional ways and instead of rubbing people out, they started sending people to see Dr, MILFe for threapy, and instead of the meat business, strip clubs and prostitution, they all started working full time for UNICEF, it would be the fans fault for changing the channel ?

Interesting !

:ph34r:

I said this: "Stay and enjoy the shows. It's perfectly fair that if you can't...you stay away. "

If the show producers decided to change the entire focus of the show...and it was no longer your cup of Bombay...turn it off. Of course, the Cadets are not doing anything that drastic...they are just tweaking things a bit.

if the judges would judge the narration accurately...i.e., lower the GE score because said narration is horrible compared to the rest of the corps, then the Cadets would be scoring much lower, and they'd would drop it like a hot potatoe ($1 to Dan Quayle)

As long as narration isn't judged properly, it's a free license to perform it without retribution.

Of course, that opinion of the narration is only your opinion. Maybe it is being evaluated properly in the judges opinion.

Of course, that opinion of the narration is only your opinion. Maybe it is being evaluated properly in the judges opinion.

Incorrect. Unless there are rules in place to cover it it cannot and will not ever be covered the same everywhere. You can say the same for amps as well. A squeal from an amp during a performance SHOULD have a penalty as a bad narration OR the fact it's one person taking the attention or time off the corps performing should be something accounted for.

Seriously?! I am not a fan of their narration at this point, but not because of the performance aspect of it. How can you honestly say the narration is not being judged accurately with any confidence? I actually think the narrators themselves are doing a really good job with what they have been given.

He was responding to someone saying they would stay away from shows. I could be wrong but booing was not on the table in that argument, or maybe at that time ?

He was pulling his normal liberal spin that if the guy decided to stay away from shows because it wasn't what he considered "drum corps", that it's HIS fault for not changing with the times.

Cowtown said this: "yeah, I don't think it's fair that some of us have to leave D/C because a few corps will use electronics the first year "

He makes it seem as though it's a corps fault for using the elements of show design that are legal to use...and all of a sudden he HAS to leave because of it. It's not the corps fault that he doesn't like their choices...it wasn't the Cadets fault when they chose to play one of the tunes I hate most...Farendole...it's their choice to make. I wasn't consulted. :ph34r:

He also mentioned booing in the same post.

Incorrect. Unless there are rules in place to cover it it cannot and will not ever be covered the same everywhere. You can say the same for amps as well. A squeal from an amp during a performance SHOULD have a penalty as a bad narration OR the fact it's one person taking the attention or time off the corps performing should be something accounted for.

You are incorrect. In the performance captions, and GE to some extent, the sound is what is being evaluated. If there are squeals or hisses...it should have an impact. If the quality of the voice is not good...it should have an impact. If the narration itself doesn't make sense, it should reflect in the GE score like any other aspect of the music.

The "one person" is part of the "corps performing", so yes, it should be accounted for, but not the way you think.

Oh, so 'we' all know something about me that is not remotely true....what gives you the right to say those things about me?

Note I said 'maybe'...as opposed to you trying to foist your OPINION on the judging community, though I don't recall that you are a DCI judge. You have no idea what is happening and being said on tapes.

hmmm..because everything you post is pro-narration...pro-Cadets using narration..pro-Hoppy for using narration...pro-DCI for allowing narration...pro-anything that makes it more like BOA...

it doesn't take a degree in psychoanalysis to see where you stand...you have that right...you just have a way of being condescending to those that think the way I do...

90% of the people (on DCP) think the narration is horrible. Yes, I know that doesn't mean everyone in the world...yes, I know that you think that dcp isn't a valid "piece of pie" when it comes to what those that don't post on dcp think. I just happen to think you are wrong...you think i'm wrong...we'll live, I suppose, with each other's disagreement.

If the judges were actually judging content, the Cadets would be losing GE by the bucketful.

Last year, Pioneer was told if they didn't switch to Bb, they'd never get higher scores...G bugles ARE still legal, yet Pioneer were being scored lower because of a judges opinion. Judges are as opinionated as we on DCP are, and they aren't supposed to be. They should be able to listen to the content, and hear that it's just not anywhere near as top quality as the rest of the corps is...and they narration should indeed lower their GE scores dramatically. Unfortunately, I would bet that those judging never even hear the actual words of the narration, because they are trying to judge everything else. Therefore, the content of the narration is getting a "pass"...