What Happens if the Cadets win?

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does the haterade taste any different from the kool-aid?

:tongue::tongue:

I can not speak of the taste of either but I've only seen Borgs drinking the Kool Aid.

( rimshot )

( but thank you for throwing one back at me with a touch of class higher than mine )

I've heard the Green Haterade tastes about the same as the maroon haterade - is that true? :tongue:

LOL! Good one.

I don't drink green haterade. I drink green whiney conspiracy theory lovin' fmm haterade.

Sorry but I just had to go there. All in fun. :tongue:

Same here. It seems a good sense of humor is going around today.

Same here. It seems a good sense of humor is going around today.

It might be snowing in ####

Where did I ever assume that?

You defend DCI's bando direction by pointing out bus loads of band kids that are fans and potential members. You present as fact that these kids prefer, even require, a different product than what has been presented in the past to get them involved.

Oh, I have seen the web stuff. Sorry, but IMO it's not a real viable way to form much of an opinion based on being there, so I won't talk about it all that much...the context is just not a 'true' representation unless it's experienced live, IMO.

A recording is enough to judge the content. I don't think you want to judge it, because it is BAD! oops wait, IMPHO.

The level of performance and judging considerations are not the same thing. So there is no contradiction there.

I see. The level and performance has nothing to do with judging considerations. Isn't that the point you were supposed to be arguing against?

You defend DCI's bando direction by pointing out bus loads of band kids that are fans and potential members. You present as fact that these kids prefer, even require, a different product than what has been presented in the past to get them involved.

You referred to saxes...it's MHO opinion that they...and any other instrument desired..should be legal. DCI does not think so, obviously, and IMO WW are a looong way away. It's not part of their directionat this time. IMO the kids today who flock to shows do love what modern DCI is presenting...currently it does not include WW.

A recording is enough to judge the content. I don't think you want to judge it, because it is BAD! oops wait, IMPHO.

Thanks for telling me what I think.

I see. The level and performance has nothing to do with judging considerations. Isn't that the point you were supposed to be arguing against?

How judges evaluate a performance...the things I mentioned...is not based on how good the performance is...or the instruments involved. They translate equally from drum corps to band and/or vice versa.

I have read many commentaries for the last four years and I find the whole discussion concerning the Cadets rather interesting. I have listened people complain about their production style and how offensive their story-telling is – either through voice over or props. I try to compare this to various art styles and these thoughts come to mind.

Of course Cadets changed drum corp for the better in the early eighties and we have never looked back. Star of Indiana’s wonderful production of Walton’s ‘Belshazar’s Feast’ provided us the nuance and a sublime power of a true art form. Probably their defining moment of neo-contemporary drum corps art was with ‘The Music of Barber and Bartok’ which exposed people to music that they would never had listened to and then they brought it to the Broadway stage for millions more to see. Do we dismiss their efforts because they performed visual music that may have made some people uncomfortable?

Mozart had little acceptance during his life – yet he is considered our most revered composer. Bach was unknown throughout most of Europe, yet he is considered our Baroque giant; Beethoven couldn’t even hear his own music yet he was a master genius; Wagner wrote a 16 hour opera – how’s that for pushing the envelope? Stravinsky’s music started a riot during a performance – how has he changed history? Have you heard Stravinsky’s serialistic music? Is it less valid than Petroushka or Firebird?

Does Piccasso have a place in history? How about Klee, Monet, Chagall, Cezanne, Dali, Warhol, Pollack, Ernst et. al.? Do we dismiss them just because they created art that may have created discomfort? What about our contemporary poets and writers?

Many show themes are created from concepts of chaos, violence, sex and conflict resolution. Where would drum corps be without ‘Spartacus’, ‘West Side Story’ ‘007’ and ‘The Godfather’?

I think that many people dislike the Cadets (especially this year) because their show concepts make them feel uncomfortable – God forbid that may happen at a drum corps show. Don’t want to talk about cancer, death, unhappiness, trying to find yourself – maybe because we all struggle with those same issues and we don’t want to be reminded of our own worries and weaknesses.

All art needs people to push the envelope – for better or for worse. Cadets have been doing that for thirty years.

And what if the Cadets win? Will we have a riot like at the Paris Ballet during the performance of “The Rite of Spring”? It is just my humble opinion that most remarkable and memorable moments in history are not created during moments of mediocrity but rather when people are feeling discomfort. So love them or hate them, the bottom line is that I am proud of those kids – they do not accept mediocrity, they are pushing the envelope and doing it artistically.

Very well said. I hope that the Cadets can continue to fine tune the composition to acheive the level that is true of all good artistic acheivement: that it is finished not when everything that can be added is added, but when all that can be removed is removed. There is a balance between voice and music and it is perfectly understandable that many who come to watch expecting drums and bugles are put off by the concept of telling a story with voice. My main concern with the show is that the magical moment that the ending is trying to create is hampered by a conflict of scale on the large canvas vs the quiet focus of the stage, where these effects have more impact. I think a large visual effect at the finger snap would help to ramp up the scale of the moment so that it creates the desired effect.

Edited by patrickzampetti

… Probably the most disappointing thing about all the rule changes, at least to me, is how little creative change they've provoked. The Cadets have plainly not been exploring wildly experimental uses of amps and voice; they've been importing common marching band show design ideas and tweaking them to work competitively in DCI.

Why is that even an issue? What’s crazy about this line of discussion is that the very people who don’t like the introduction of these new show elements are now the ones complaining that the Cadets aren’t experimenting enough. Are we really to believe you’d like narration better if the Cadets took it even further from the drum corps norm? I doubt it.

HH