DCI quietly working on Plan C?

Since it flooded about 3 weeks ago...

I was back in B-town yesterday and made a point to drive by the stadium to see how it was progressing. They've got the base layer of sand/whatever put down but no turf yet.

Thanks for the info. I thought this was all speculation but seems like there really is a problem. But then again cant the turf be put down in a week?

I remember 1 or 2 years hearing a story about the Patriots having Gilette Stadium re-turfed in 3 days in between the regular football season because the players where complaining about the sand pit in between the hashes.

Cant really take that long to get the field back to normal.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a look at this website, you can see a nice visual breakdown of how long the turf installation process takes. Looks like this school had theirs basically put down in about a week or so:

http://www.colostate-pueblo.edu/Projects/T...bowlStadium.htm

My impression is that it isn't the turf that takes time, but rather the foundation and base underneath it that takes the most time to get right. Once that's laid down, the rest is easy.

Meanwhile, I say this entirely in the spirit of "homer-ness" regarding the notion of moving finals to Louisville:

Bloomington or Bust!!!

If you have a look at this website, you can see a nice visual breakdown of how long the turf installation process takes. Looks like this school had theirs basically put down in about a week or so:

http://www.colostate-pueblo.edu/Projects/T...bowlStadium.htm

My impression is that it isn't the turf that takes time, but rather the foundation and base underneath it that takes the most time to get right. Once that's laid down, the rest is easy.

Meanwhile, I say this: Bloomington or Bust.

I understand that it's the under-layment that takes the time, not so much the laying of the turf.

Well, whatever the case may be, I think DCI needs to make an announcement very soon. The person who made the comment about airfare and the 21-day reserve window has a very valid point. We are approaching the 21-day window very quickly.

Other than the difficulty which I'll take for granted in repairing an artificial turf in the brief time that there was, is there any real evidence that the impetus for considering a Plan C/Louisville is coming from DCI rather than primarily from the DCP Rumor Mill?

i know this doesn't confirm the rumor but I was with That Corps Guy when I heard about it. find it interesting if it is true that DCI said "Must book by WEDNESDAY, JULY 9!!!" (capital letters and exclamation points were straight from the DCI email), why does this deadline mean and will they make an announcement soon because of it? I also doubt that DCI would go to Madison, though it would make it easy for me, because I heard (in the same conversation) that Camp Randall jacked up the price at the last minute and DCI was ticked off and it wasn't likely DCI would return anytime soon. To answer a question about why there is worry isn't the stadium being worked on...yes, but they are trying to get it done for football...nothing in the news reports DCI posted said that anyone official from Bloomington guaranteed things would be ready for Finals, just that it was being worked on which I found suspicious at the time.

Why not Soldier Field? DCI right on the lake, lots of schools within an hour or so, the Ryan is finally finished (and looked quite nice since I haven't been on it in two years), yes the Edens is being worked on, as is 90/39 north of Rockford, but hey, it's doable.

Edited by corps fan

Why not Soldier Field? DCI right on the lake, lots of schools within an hour or so, the Ryan is finally finished (and looked quite nice since I haven't been on it in two years), yes the Edens is being worked on, as is 90/39 north of Rockford, but hey, it's doable.

Well, if The Bears #####ed about what concerts did to the turf, I can only imagine what they will say about a bunch of band geeks stomping on the turf for 4 days.

2 reasons:

1: Parking SUCKS at SF worse than Madison.

2: Would you really want to go to finals in a stadium that looks like it could blast off for outer space at any time? :ph34r:

Well, if The Bears #####ed about what concerts did to the turf, I can only imagine what they will say about a bunch of band geeks stomping on the turf for 4 days.

then we get all the corps together to go off on them Cap Reg style (vs NIU a couple of years ago)....which reminds me...why not NIU? it was a great stadium when i went to DCM finals a few years ago...or has DCI stayed away because of the Cap Reg/Northern football fiasco? that can't be it actually cause Cavies spent most of everydays there. as far as Soldier Field, never been there just drove past it once...looked cool from the outside (to me).

it's always great to think to yourself as your typing.

oh yeah....i Also heard that DCI wasn't supposed to move the offices until September, and now are paying for three locations (Addison, Indy, temporary location) since the Indy location isn't done yet. don't know about this, but let's just say it was a very informative conversation.

Edited by Dave
filter circumvention - ds

2 reasons:

1: Parking SUCKS at SF worse than Madison.

2: Would you really want to go to finals in a stadium that looks like it could blast off for outer space at any time? :ph34r:

Only on the outside -- the inside is gorgeous with terrific sight lines that would be great for DCI, except for:

1) the parking, as you mention, and

2) Dan Ryan improvements or not, traffic around SF, especially on Thursday and Friday afternoon, is a nightmare. (Saturday's not much better sometimes). Getting fans, and more importantly, the corps in and out of there on a timely basis would be horrendous. Also, yes there are a lot of schools theoretically within an hour of SF, but add in Chicago weekday traffic and you'd be lucky with 2 or more from many locations.

Too bad -- great stadium for viewing DCI -- terrible to get to (and look at :ph34r:)

I was told ticket sales are off 50% compared to this time last year. Moving again can't help that. They need to make Bloomington work and I hope people are just waiting to buy their tickets last minute.