Its coming down to BD vs. Cavies

I have no clue how Phantom beat Blue Devils in brass last night. Phantom is NOWHERE near the level of BD in brass. I think the judges are just trying to make a game out of it now. But I don't see Phantom, Crown, or SCV coming anywhere near the level of Cavaliers and Blue Devils. I have finally now seen both live, and I would give a slight edge to Blue Devils. Although it has been 2 weeks since I have seen Cavies live.

write to the judges and complain then....if Phantom is nowhere near BD in brass(?)......in 5 shows head to head, Phantom has won brass 3 times, Devs 2.....so, the results aren't what you believe and now you point at the judges? Phantom SWEPT the music captions last night, and deservedly so....I do agree that SCV probably won't come close....they have the content, but not the performance level.....Phantom and Crown, though, DO have the performance level....musically, they are already getting there, and once the visual totally locks, it will get very interesting...........

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phantom SWEPT the music captions last night, and deservedly so....I do agree that SCV probably won't come close....they have the content, but not the performance level.....Phantom and Crown, though, DO have the performance level....musically, they are already getting there, and once the visual totally locks, it will get very interesting...........

I also enjoy Phantom's musical program, the pacing seems to drag a bit, just prior to building the sword, btw,

what's with the round point on the sword? The GE visual is looking like 5th maybe 4TH but, clearly not in the league of

the Cadets, Cavies and BD! Last night I think, BD beat PR by 1.1 in GE visual and 1.0 in Color Guard.

I hear BD is still adding to their program as well. Will be interesting to watch or listen to, how far PR music

can take them?

Crown, great sound, clean & crisp looking but could be 6th in GE visual, just count the number of blocks in Crown's opener?

Don't feel the depth, range and variety of the visual programs is top 5 yet. Could we have a corps take top music/brass and end-up

in 5th?

Edited by St_Marys64

I also enjoy Phantom's musical program, the pacing seems to drag a bit, just prior to building the sword, btw,

what's with the round point on the sword? The GE visual is looking like 5th maybe 4TH but, clearly not in the league of

the Cadets, Cavies and BD! Last night I think, BD beat PR by 1.1 in GE visual and 1.0 in Color Guard.

I hear BD is still adding to their program as well. Will be interesting to watch or listen to, how far PR music

can take them?

Crown, great sound, clean & crisp looking but could be 6th in GE visual, just count the number of blocks in Crown's opener?

Don't feel the depth, range and variety of the visual programs is top 5 yet. Could we have a corps take top music/brass and end-up

in 5th?

I hope not.....I'm not a visual guru, but I don't see much difference in visual design and demand between corps all the way down to around 8th or even 9th place.....I think all of those corps have demanding visual programs....I look at a corps like the Blue Knights....not my fav from a musical standpoint, but I believe they bring alot to the table visually....visual performance, yes....I believe Devils and Cavs are clearly ahead in terms of where they are execution-wise with their visual performance, and thus I don't have a problem with their visual scores.....I do think Phantom's visual book, and Crown's are fine, but performance level will be the key to closing the gap in visual....I think Crown is now starting to really get their feet together, and if I were Phantom, I would be doing an awful lot of marching at practice, as there is no question that they can play. What concerns me is that for whatever reason, visual judges tend to call larger spreads at the end of the season, and music judges seem hesitant to do the same....Last year, Cavs were in serious contention even in shows where they were coming in 5th, even 6th in overall music, and I think that is out of balance.....yet the same thing could happen this year....with the above tendency, it is possible that we could have a winner who doesn't take a single music caption....I think their is room for the music judges to call bigger spreads in their captions, as I do believe there are differences that can be credited more for the corps with superior musical arrangements/demand. If they don't, then visual scores will most likely call the show, especially visual effect.

GB

Were the Blue Devils not included on this list or are they just lower than Madison & PC?

The poster only did selected shows from 2008. Blue Devils was not one of the shows. Also, the list included several shows from other years. I took them out to only focus on 2008.

So I've decided to sum up DCP for the summer of 2008 like this...

BD iz da champion, but da Phantom Regiment is teh awesome!!>!>@!11!! The Cadets talking sux, and Cavvies is 2 easy. I think Crown is top 3!!1!! They are teh awesome, 2! Rockz on, DCP!!11/1?!/!/!?!

The poster only did selected shows from 2008. Blue Devils was not one of the shows. Also, the list included several shows from other years. I took them out to only focus on 2008.

I would actually like to see another person do the same study. I know last year, it was done by a few separate people, with varying results. It seems on dcp that we cant even agree on WHAT marching and playing is....let alone how important it it.

I would actually like to see another person do the same study. I know last year, it was done by a few separate people, with varying results. It seems on dcp that we cant even agree on WHAT marching and playing is....let alone how important it it.

I agree. I would also like to see the results from the corps at the same show. For example, someone would calculate the results for all the corps at San Antonio. No time is passing between Corps A being studied and Corps B being studied, to where musical and drill changes alter the results.

BD or Cavies? Is that what this blog is discussing?

Well one thing is for sure, you're probably right it'll be one of the two and not because it's based on valid judging or who is actually better. It's based on;

...yep your right... DCI POLITICS.

"Yeah...same stuff every year. I am sick of it! Innovative drill, cohesive visual package with a brass and percussion book that is written together. When will it stop!"

This gentleman says what alot of fans are saying these days (and alot of DCI old timers). Most of the shows shoot for pleasing the judges with music that can put a 10 year old with ADD to sleep. Only a few corps can really entertain and excite most fans (unless your just happy to see anything out on the field).

"Short answer: Because judges are wacky?"

No, because much like NBA referees (trying to make the championship series be stretched to a full 7 games by calling fouls a certain way and getting more "viewership"), the judges are just biased and doing what they are told too by the "powers-that-be". How can the DCI judges be truly judging without bias???? Just look at the score sheets and the same corps names year after year after year after year!

There are so many corps that could win, who says WHO is better?

Should we talk about figure skating and how ****ed up that scoring is?????

You can certainly parallel the two.

Yep that's right I am talking about subjective scoring... or scoring that is based on someones OPINION!

So many corps are amazing and excels in performing art.

Yet 4-5 corps can only win according to our DCI history books.

Don't get me wrong, I love BD and the Cavs.... they are drum corps that (for the most part) are entertaining.

Yeah I know ya'll are going to call me a "hater", but so many of us are sick of the top 4-5 ONLY being allowed to win.

Unfortunately DCI will continue their biased ways because it is ruled by the top 4-5 corps directors that ensure their control over "wins", their own destinies, and their own well being of their corps.

If BD or Cavs win... who cares. If Crown wins, then I'll think something is wrong with the universe... well the DCI universe anyways.

R.

P.S. (I am a big fan of Crown, so don't misunderstand...)