First Drum Corps Show on Radio?

here's some trivia that may well unfog a few fuzzy ole phart brains out there.

i believe the first drum and bugle corps show on radio on a regular basis was a broadcast

every saturday morning on a radio station in beacon, ny. now, my fuzzy brain remembers it

in the early 60's and there was always talk about the previous week's shows and one full recording

of a senior or junior corps to round out the show.

can anyone remember the name of the show and the show's MC???

mikey

SOMF

:thumbup::tongue:

Edited by mikeyinsunnyflorida

I'm not familiar with that... I can tell you that in the early 60's Drum Corps On Review was on every week first on WOSC Fulton NY and later moved to WSGO Oswego NY

The founder and original host was Merlin Grow. About 1965 he turned the show over to me and I had it for many years. It even led to a part time job as a radio disc jockey on WSGO. I did this through 1973 until I relocated to Rochester. It was this on air experience that landed me the job of color commentator for the first DCI Championship Telecast - by WCNY Syracuse - of the 1974 Ithaca, NY Championship.

Ray Samora and/or Dick Blake gave me a complimentary copy of every Fleetwood record made which I used for the "music" then did some scores and commentary... At the same time, I wrote "Upstate Review" for Drum Corps News.

So what years was the Beacon show? You sure you're not thinking of my show?

I'm not familiar with that... I can tell you that in the early 60's Drum Corps On Review was on every week first on WOSC Fulton NY and later moved to WSGO Oswego NY

The founder and original host was Merlin Grow. About 1965 he turned the show over to me and I had it for many years. It even led to a part time job as a radio disc jockey on WSGO. I did this through 1973 until I relocated to Rochester. It was this on air experience that landed me the job of color commentator for the first DCI Championship Telecast - by WCNY Syracuse - of the 1974 Ithaca, NY Championship.

Ray Samora and/or Dick Blake gave me a complimentary copy of every Fleetwood record made which I used for the "music" then did some scores and commentary... At the same time, I wrote "Upstate Review" for Drum Corps News.

So what years was the Beacon show? You sure you're not thinking of my show?

tom, it was clearly in the beacon/newburgh area. back in those days, we would never be able to get your signal in the poughkeepsie area. a funny side note, we had an old tube radio and had alot of trouble tuning in the beacon broadcast. but we got it clear enough to enjoy the music. i remember when i graduated from 8th grade in '64, my parents gave me a 15 transistor portable radio and now i could get that station in beacon like it was next door. im sure someone will remember thgis show.

mikey

Edited by mikeyinsunnyflorida

here's some trivia that may well unfog a few fuzzy ole phart brains out there.

i believe the first drum and bugle corps show on radio on a regular basis was a broadcast

every saturday morning on a radio station in beacon, ny. now, my fuzzy brain remembers it

in the early 60's and there was always talk about the previous week's shows and one full recording

of a senior or junior corps to round out the show.

can anyone remember the name of the show and the show's MC???

mikey

SOMF

:tongue::sad:

Sorting through the Swiss cheese that was once my brain, I want to say that Bill Hoyt (now of the Crusaders' baritone line) had something to do with a drum corps radio program in the 1960s. Perhaps this is something that Mr. Peashey could inquire into...

I have had access to inexpensive satellite radio time for years but have never had the time to act on the impulse to put a program on the air. Of course, now there would be issues with rights and permissions. DCI, DCA, and the publishers -- my head swims just thinking about it.

Edited by K2SMA

Also back in the 60's there was a drumcorps show on every Sunday morning on WTOR in Torrington Conn hosted by Jack Wallace who was a part time dj and a soprano player with the Vagabonds. He would give the scores from the night before, give Vagabond updates as well as local corps goings on, have some local muscians on and play drum corps albums. Jack also worked with my Dad at the Westclox (haydens) factory and was the announcer for some local shows. If I remember , the show ran from 1961 till about 71.

Steve

Next time I see Bill Hoyt I'll ask him... I saw him at the Rochester show 10 days ago...

both WSGO and WOSC were 5000 watt stations... with (unfortunately) East - West directionalization to minimize impact on Canadian airwaves... that basically boils down to "You had to be in Oswego or Fulton to hear it" It would take a perfect day atmosphere wise to get it in Syracuse.

Yes please, Tom, I would greatly appreciate it. You will see him again before I do -- guess that will be in the ROC...

We have Jacksonville, AL (DCI), McKenzie, TN (DCI), Hendersonville, TN (DCA), Douglasville, GA (DCA), and Alpharetta, GA (DCA) on our schedule before we head north again. I will also be working down the road here for a few days the first full week in August.

Regards...

• 4 weeks later...
During the 1960's, Wes Hobby, who announced many junior DCA shows had a weekly drum corps show on a Bridgeport, CT radio station, I believe it was WTIC

WOW! good memory billy.....just one tiny flaw, it was WICC......still picking each other up!...somf :tongue:

During the 1960's, Wes Hobby, who announced many junior DCA shows had a weekly drum corps show on a Bridgeport, CT radio station, I believe it was WTIC

"Bridgeprot Radio Show":

I have a very vague memory of a early 1960's drum corps radio show in the Park City broaadcast from one of the schools (Notre Dame/Sacred Heart?) , and the hosts being members of the old PAL Cadets drum corps. A picture of them and a story apperaed in Drum Corps News.There was also a long running drum corps "Column" in the Sunday newspaper that kept the locals informed of goingon with the dozen or so corps in Fairfield County.

Elphaba