Chris,

You appear to have forgotten the people without whom drum corps doesn't exist - and no, it's not the staff.

<snip>

Andy, lemme explain myself.

I didn't mean to infer that I CONDONE said activity. I don't. I'm with you guys. It IS rude and annoying.

I was simply stating why it's done. That's all.

It's all good in the hood.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is an age old problem and one that just does not seem to be getting resolved.

When I was on staff with Bushwackers, I used to say very simply, "just TELL me where you want me to stand!" Show sponsors have to be more proactive about designating an area for staff viewing that does not take away too many spectator seats.

At Bush, we mostly practiced in parking lots, so shows were the ONLY opportunities to see the show from "up top". In fact, at the first show in '98 (Bridgeport) I remember saying, "oh so THAT'S what the opening set looks like!" There was just no way I was gonna watch the show from the field.

I'm gonna scream, I'm gonna support the guard and I'm gonna be there for them since they would come off the field and say, "I knew that part was good 'cause I heard Trish!" but I also don't want to annoy the paying customers!

Just give the staff members someplace to be!!!

Look, when I go to a Broadway play, I don't expect the seamtress to become part of my experience through his/her obvious and vocal joy that injects itself into my experience.

Any sort of staff person can become part of the audience simply because THEY PLACED THEMSELVES THERE. They did not purchase a ticket months in advance, they joined the assemblage as a non-requested seat mate. They have NO place among the paid audience, but they're there, and they're an INTRUSION.

This has been a problem for years. Staff persons barging in, exerting their exuberance among persons who might not share the same opinion.

It's NOT welcome in most instances, and really is not a professional contribution to their organization.

Sorry, just had to rant. I've been bugged by this for many years.

I do understand where you / they are coming from. I've taught HS bands and had the same kind of situation occur and almost found myself doing the same thing. I guess I could just ask staff members to show some self control in consideration of the paying public. That's all. Because it really is distracting.

I'm with you. got cussed out once at prelims in Allentown for asking a staff to keep it down so we could hear the corps, not them.

This is an age old problem and one that just does not seem to be getting resolved.

When I was on staff with Bushwackers, I used to say very simply, "just TELL me where you want me to stand!" Show sponsors have to be more proactive about designating an area for staff viewing that does not take away too many spectator seats.

At Bush, we mostly practiced in parking lots, so shows were the ONLY opportunities to see the show from "up top". In fact, at the first show in '98 (Bridgeport) I remember saying, "oh so THAT'S what the opening set looks like!" There was just no way I was gonna watch the show from the field.

I'm gonna scream, I'm gonna support the guard and I'm gonna be there for them since they would come off the field and say, "I knew that part was good 'cause I heard Trish!" but I also don't want to annoy the paying customers!

I agree to a point. I always complained at Hershey cause the staff never knew where to go. That said, if you are amongst the crowd, you gotta keep it under control.

Maybe they just want everyone in the stadium to acknowledge the fact that they are staff...as if the corps jackets with the same name ("Staff") embroidered on them were not a dead giveaway....

Edited by VOReason

<Side Note - To the staff members of the Bucs who were sitting behind me at the show: please never sit near me again. There is no need to cheer wildly when the snares bring their sticks in, or the corps releases a note. It was loud, distracting and just plain obnoxious. Trust me… when the corps does something amazing (and they will) the audience will cheer wildly and let you know. ‘Nuff said.>

Thanks for pointing that out Sayre! I was a few rows in front of you and heard it well. I felt like I kept missing something, esp in the CG, as there was a yell/scream for every toss/catch. It was very distracting from a great show. Please be considerate of those around you.

Thanks for the review!

Edited by FlamNCheez

At one time didn't they allow staff to stand in the box with the GE judges?? Not directly next to them but at least in a closed off area where the visual staff could see the show with out yelling in a guy or gals ear?

I wasn't going to post on this thread.........but, to explain the behavior of certain staff from certain corps, I too can understand the feeling of "the moment".....I've been band and drum corps staff, I've had the impulse to let loose my exhilaration at something my group has done well, very rarely were any of the staffs permitted en masse to, shall we say, repair to the upper stands. When the opportunity presented itself we took great care to insure that all staff conducted themselves in a professional and polite manner. This came down from administration through upper echelon staff and went for indoor guard and drumlines.

I was forunate enough to have great seats for the Bridgeport show. All staffs but one carried themselves with good deportment. However, that one corps visual staff would not shut up. They kept annoying me, my family and the other paying fans with their inane and loud commentary to their gurad. That would have been enough to make someone irritable, but these folks kept it up even tho their (OK, actually the corps') guard kept dropping equipment, making them look almost like a novice group. I was compelled to stand, turn around, put my hand palm up towards them requesting that they "SHUT UP, please" They apologized and complied.

Maybe, as an activity, those of us in the stands need to make our displeasure known to those who would distract (and detract) from a performance. I did not notice, see or hear any other staff of this corps making ##### of themselves, so perhaps it's an enlightenment to this segment of the staff. I certainly hope so.

But if I'm in the same position again, with that same staff, I just may have to throw them over the fence......just kidding folks.

J

Edited by Jimbalaya

At one time didn't they allow staff to stand in the box with the GE judges?? Not directly next to them but at least in a closed off area where the visual staff could see the show with out yelling in a guy or gals ear?

You are absitively correct! ... In the 70's and 80's, when the size of the booth allowed, the corps' staff was allowed to view their show from the same vantage point as the judges ... I can assure you, there was no hoopin' and hollerin' going on ... in NY, when I was on staff (I can't speak to what transpired after me), we actually critiqued the shows ourselves on paper to then compare with the judges tapes and the eventual post-show Judges Meeting ... I can't put my finger on when the "staff hype" act actually started but, to me, it is a definite annoyance when you have to have staff after staff after staff yelling at the top of their lungs ...

Andy "the real yelling occured in the Judges Meeting" Lisko

I actually don't mind that at all, the corps works hard and wants to be acknowledged for even the little things. As a spectator I encourage all type of enthusiasm from anyone in the crowd. Talking, however, I do not put up with; this is disrespectful. Sometimes crowds are just, dead. So any applause IMO is good applause.