Just thinking out loud...

Yes and I just dont understand group fives logic this year. Crown's Brass score of 17.3 is the same score as the Denver High brass score of lets see, YES 17.3. We will have to see where the scores go by years end but as of now Crown HAS cracked the ranks of corps that have traditionaly outscored them. Trust me, i know they were two different shows and that may or may not matter. It really cant be said or measured how much that mattered.

I respect group fives right to that opinion but dont understand it. It just seems like sour grapes to me.

Did you even read the description for group 5? We like the corps, we like what they're doing. We're just plain tired of people like you.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well not to be a complete Cadets homer, and this was my first DC show live as a spectator since aging out, but I feel a bit differently. In all fairness I will be as completely unbiased as possible as most ppl who know me know I am.

A few thoughts with saturdays nights results....yes I will admit Crown was a bit better in some aspects that night, but do I believe they should have won?? questionable. The Cadets had a pretty rough performance and I knew it, the staff knew it, and the members knew it. But it was very apparent to me the Cadets are a stronger practiced drum corps. Also to me both corps were equally dirty, except The Cadets had a much harder demand of a show. From the music book to percussion book to visual program to the tempos to the ensemble demands.....they have a show on a much different level then that of what Crown puts out there. Crown is cute, and have two nice loud impacts where they don't have to move much, but its not that intense of a show. Hate the narration or not, the level of design behind The Cadets is much much much much juicier than Crowns and takes more time. But hey, The Bluecoats and Cavaliers spanked us early season last year.........

As far as narration, it didn't bother me that much.....but I thought some of it was poorly placed and paced. I can see a lot of changes imroving that aspect of their program as well as music and drill rewrites. But its mid-season.....they need program adjustments badly, like many drum corps.

Thank you Perfect Buzz, I have read your post several times and you were correct...... completely unbiased! :wub:

Here's to a successful Cadets season :lol:

I really don't see them in the top 3 this year (sorry) - the top few corps (BD, Cavaliers & Cadets) are in another league of their own // sometimes it doesn't become obvious until finals week when they pull away big time... Only in "off" years do they seem to fall below the top 3 spots

Cadets right now seem to be having an off year (not rare for them / last year at this point they were losing to Coats) - but if we say they finish out of top 3 then I have to give Regiment a better shot at sneaking in than Crown

Crown is good but Regiments drums and horns will probably be too much for Crown to overcome by finals week - IMHO

I (right now) see it: BD, Cavaliers, PR, Cadets, Crown as top 5 but a lot more will be known by East

I really don't see Crown beating Cadets consistently - Cadets spent 2 days learning a new ending they did not perform. Tuesday night will clear that up a bit

I will politely disagree....I saw Crown/Cadets in Chesapeake, and Crown clearly has the superior musical product....not only content, but performance-wise; their brass sound is incredible, and the percussion is making rapid strides. They are moving....fast. BD is the cleanest corps on the field right now, and Cavs 2nd cleanest....but the musical books of either corps are not that great, and Cavs musical book is the weakest of the top 6: Crown, Phantom, and SCV have far better musical packages.......Frankly, I don't see Cadets beating Crown again this season....the biggest question is if the judges will allow Crown and Phantom to make a move on Blue Devils/Cavs....I do see Cavs slipping for sure, as it should be a no-brainer when they go on back to back with corps who have much more happening musically....the Cadets are good, but have not come close to reaching the performance level of last year.......and the musical book just isn't as effective.....if Phantom can increase their visual performance level, the title is certainly a possibility for them as well, and I think Crown and Phantom have the best musical packages on the field by far this season.....

GB

Did you even read the description for group 5? We like the corps, we like what they're doing. We're just plain tired of people like you.

Calm down francis. I never said I dislike group 5 nor was I even flaming his post, but if you read the quote below you will see the doubt people have in crown and people still thinking crowns brass hasnt touched the likes of the top 3. This is despite liking them. Sorry you cant handle stats or someone arguing a point. Im pretty sure if you can read, you can see that I love the corps im comparing crown to. Yes I am an alumni and a fan of Crown, so yes I am going to be rah rah crown and if you are sick of me then you are gonna be sick a lot. I dont think I in anyway went overboard. You will get the same type of fan support from other crown supporters in this time of growth. Get used to it.

Crown's brass is treated like the second coming, when they've yet to crack into the ranks of the handful of corps ahead of them. We get treated with comparisons to Star every day, yet the fact that some staffers and ex-members are on board is the only similarity. Crown's having their most successful season to date, no question, but let's see where they take it. Last year was a good show, but they outscored their previous finals best by nearly three points. They seem on track to hit that height again, but lets give them the chance to get there based on substance before we hoist them up there by hype alone. When they earn it on the field, I'll be the first to stand and cheer, but one win against the Cadets does not guarantee third place, nor fourth or fifth.

Thank you Perfect Buzz, I have read your post several times and you were correct...... completely unbiased! :wub:

Here's to a successful Cadets season :lol:

i'm not saying i'm not biased at all, but I am very honest when it comes describing anything about drum corps including my own. Do I want the Cadets to do well?? yeah....but doesn't mean when I speak of them I wont be honest. In terms of this thread my post about them vs. Crown was an observation that would have been the same had it been any other corps (i.e. BD vs Crown or Cavies vs. Crown). Do I believe Cadets will win this year.....def. not. I think they're a very good drum corps with positives and negatives in both show design and execution. For instance they're drumline (esp. snares) are meh at best. Their drill (at the moment) is pretty dirty, especially for them. Their hornline isn't as aggressive as we're use to seeing from them. But their marching technique and colorguard are some of the elite right now in DCI. After watching videos of the other corps in DCI, I think I see the Cadets 3rd or 4th this year, unless something crazy happens. The Blue Devils and Cavaliers are much better overall drum corps in many aspects. And I hate to say that.....

But to go back to Cadets vs. Crown....I think Crown performed very well Saturday night. But its a long season, and the Cadets (like em or not) just have harder stuff. And if you really don't see or realize that......I'm sorry?

Calm down francis. I never said I dislike group 5 nor was I even flaming his post, but if you read the quote below you will see the doubt people have in crown and people still thinking crowns brass hasnt touched the likes of the top 3. This is despite liking them. Sorry you cant handle stats or someone arguing a point. Im pretty sure if you can read, you can see that I love the corps im comparing crown to. Yes I am an alumni and a fan of Crown, so yes I am going to be rah rah crown and if you are sick of me then you are gonna be sick a lot. I dont think I in anyway went overboard. You will get the same type of fan support from other crown supporters in this time of growth. Get used to it.

:wub::lol::wub::lol:

You seem very welcoming... you represent your former drum corps very well.

"Calm down francis"

"I'm pretty sure if you can read..."

"If you are sick of me you are going to be sick a lot."

"Get used to it."

... I liked Crown a lot more before you started posting, honestly.

yeahhh, ok. Well, like I said. I like what the corps is doing performance wise. The liking stops there though.

-steve

"Loyal Member of Group 5"

Edited by baristeve

Yes and I just dont understand group fives logic this year. Crown's Brass score of 17.3 is the same score as the Denver High brass score of lets see, YES 17.3. We will have to see where the scores go by years end but as of now Crown HAS cracked the ranks of corps that have traditionaly outscored them. Trust me, i know they were two different shows and that may or may not matter. It really cant be said or measured how much that mattered.

Congrats to Crown for their scores so far. I mean it. They're undefeated in brass so far this season (only three shows have had brass judging so far).

Of course, last year the Bluecoats went 10-4 against the Blue Devils in brass, winning from the first meeting in Kalamazoo in June to Quarterfinals in Pasadena. Heck, in Quarterfinals their brass finished tops overall. What has that earned them so far this year? Not much. Crown's brass topped 19 for the first time ever at Championships last year, but their average over the week was still only good for sixth. The one week worth of scores so far in 2008 isn't enough to convince me that Crown has improved on that, either. No question they're a talented bunch! Sixth place is a heck of a place to be, and already places them among the biggest names in the activity! But I'm not ready to buy that they're playing "louder and more balanced" than anyone else.

Congrats to Crown for their scores so far. I mean it. They're undefeated in brass so far this season (only three shows have had brass judging so far).

Of course, last year the Bluecoats went 10-4 against the Blue Devils in brass, winning from the first meeting in Kalamazoo in June to Quarterfinals in Pasadena. Heck, in Quarterfinals their brass finished tops overall. What has that earned them so far this year? Not much. Crown's brass topped 19 for the first time ever at Championships last year, but their average over the week was still only good for sixth. The one week worth of scores so far in 2008 isn't enough to convince me that Crown has improved on that, either. No question they're a talented bunch! Sixth place is a heck of a place to be, and already places them among the biggest names in the activity! But I'm not ready to buy that they're playing "louder and more balanced" than anyone else.

thank you so much for an pleasant and intelligent response. And for also not getting panties in a wad like some.

as for the some.

We're just plain tired of people like you.

how is that for welcoming.

If you wanna discuss intelligently fine. if you want to start of with me with that sort of un welcoming statement you will get it right back. Also ganging up good ole boy style by not looking at your own unwelcoming tones will get u nowhere with me. I respect the hell out of someone who can take a good argument for what its worth and leave childish comments and hurt feelings out of it.

Edited by crownfan7

thank you so much for an pleasant and intelligent response. And for also not getting panties in a wad like some.

as for the some.

how is that for welcoming.

If you wanna discuss intelligently fine. if you want to start of with me with that sort of un welcoming statement you will get it right back. Also ganging up good ole boy style by not looking at your own unwelcoming tones will get u nowhere with me. I respect the hell out of someone who can take a good argument for what its worth and leave childish comments and hurt feelings out of it.

Sorry, I must have missed the part where what you said was intelligent.

I honestly have no idea where half of your comments are even coming from. I'm not sure where I left a childish comment, or "hurt feelings out of it." Whatever that means.

Edited by baristeve