Serving alcohol at DCI shows

But what I mean is, is it necessary for those things to be served at a drum corps show? No one's going to die if they don't eat or drink for two hours, just like no one's going to die if they don't have a beer. My point is that necessity is not a good reason for or against serving alcohol or anything else.

You are missing the point. The reason stadiums exist is to make money. Necessity has never been in the thought process. Because many of the performers and DCI in general appeals to younger people, alcohol is a "moral" issue. DCI, as a wholesome activity, and because so many of the members and fans are high school age, do not serve alcohol. It is a moral issue, not logical.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is food necessary? Do they need to sell anything to drink--after all, it's annoying when people have to get up to go to the bathroom. Necessity is not a good question to ask when talking about something like this; there's very little involved in the entire drum corps process that's truly "necessary." Of course alcohol is not necessary, but it's nice to have around sometimes.

Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine? No, but it's sterile, and I like the taste.

:ph34r: but since most members are under 21, it would get shot down. plus most events are held at highschools where alcohol on campus isnt allowed anyway.

Guest xsabers

As an aside, one of my favorite moments EVER was enjoying an ice cold Stroh's in the stands at Whitewater in 1983. Hotter than hell and humid...that beer was the best thing I have ever consumed...ever!

From a practical standpoint, for DCI to use a stadium like Invesco and eliminate beer sales, they would likely have to cover the loss of revenue by Centerplate.

I don't think it's appropriate to serve alcohol at an event put on by a youth non-profit for the education of minors. I just don't see it.

<shrug> Just my opinion, though.

Mike

That is my thinking as well. I am not against alcohol, but how many teenagers and pre-teens are at Drum Corps events. What message are giving them? If we are trying to promote this activity to the youth, then I feel that alcohol should not be served. There are several good points in many of the posts, and it does depend on the stadiums and their policies. I have been to some that allow alcohol and haven't seen any problems, the beer was too expensive to get more than one. But as I said before, how many youth are in the audiences and what message do we want to give them?

Just my thoughts. Stadiums are gonna do what they want to do.

Edited by artlady

hahah of course it should be served. i was at DATR and i was drunk as #### lol

He was... And it was fantastic

"I had some quotes from the Bible in this signature, but due to their "offensive" nature, the good people at drum corps planet decided to delete them. Some world we're living in..."

Good for them. The last thing I need to see is these forums clogged up with a bunch of religious nonsense.