Re: Cadets 2009 . . .

Seriously doubt it. For one, it was a joke. Second...i dont think their placement has been anything out of the ordinary. They gotten 1st, 2nd, 5th, and who knows this year. They havent had wild success with it, nor have they had a rough time. They could get 6th this year, and would probably bounce back to take the gold next year (and that, i would bet on) If anything, not being a threat to win (which is not yet a given) will take some of the edge off the hatred. Comparing 2006 to 2007 finals (i was there both years for multiple shows), they were much more hated in 07 because they were a threat. In 2006, people joked about them, but had more important things to cheer for / worry about. Same goes for BD in 05.

zZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be okay with never seeing WSS on any field again ever. Same with App Spring. I know, I know, there are only about eleventy billion other pieces of music out there. But finding them is so difficult.

Amen, brother. Maybe it would cut down on the number of high schoolers being forced to clap the "America" rhythm until their hands bleed.

Now Buddy Rich's take on West Side Story...that's another, um...story!

Edited by troon8

I think George H. mentioned WSS in his blog as a joke, but....now comes word of this:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/119539.html

The show is being revived on Broadway in '09, for the first time in years. AND...it is promised to be a radically different staging, with spanish integrated into the book and score, and a much more realistic portrayal of the gangs. They'll be more violent instead of a bunch of sweet dancing guys in tight pants.

Soooooo, Cadets presenting this for their 75th suddenly doesn't seem like such a dusty old idea.

How could they make it radically different, besides the obvious - narration? Hmmm. The increased Spanish angle opens up some fresh possibilities that could take it in a new direction from the 94 and 84 versions.

I think George H. mentioned WSS in his blog as a joke, but....now comes word of this:

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/119539.html

The show is being revived on Broadway in '09, for the first time in years. AND...it is promised to be a radically different staging, with spanish integrated into the book and score, and a much more realistic portrayal of the gangs. They'll be more violent instead of a bunch of sweet dancing guys in tight pants.

Soooooo, Cadets presenting this for their 75th suddenly doesn't seem like such a dusty old idea.

How could they make it radically different, besides the obvious - narration? Hmmm. The increased Spanish angle opens up some fresh possibilities that could take it in a new direction from the 94 and 84 versions.

I heard or read that the Cadets 1994 version was A LATIN take on WSS, thats why the guard wore those costumes.

Here is why West Side Story will not work:

1) Everyone wants to bring back the old magic for nostalgic purposes. The problem is that I doubt anyone will consider a 2009 West Side Story better than the 1984 edition. That show had its place in time and trying to recapture those moments will ultimately fail.

2) It's been overdone maybe a trillion times. Maybe not so much in the corps world, but I know anyone in the under-25 crowd will be driven insane. I don't think I've ever been to a HS band show where someone didn't play West Side Story. You're eliminating Cadets innovation for a year, unless they can find new ways to express the theme visually. Why not just acquire the rights to play another Broadway show that no one has done yet? 1984 style, 2009 music. That would be more refreshing.

3) I can't stand reunion/highlight shows on TV, and I think we'd feel the same effects here.

Please, please please stay away from WSS!!!!

CROWN 2009: West Side Story, Appalachian Springs, Jeremiah Symphony all tied together with Danny Boy.

(I jest)

(kinda)

Here is why West Side Story will not work:

1) Everyone wants to bring back the old magic for nostalgic purposes. The problem is that I doubt anyone will consider a 2009 West Side Story better than the 1984 edition. That show had its place in time and trying to recapture those moments will ultimately fail.

2) It's been overdone maybe a trillion times. Maybe not so much in the corps world, but I know anyone in the under-25 crowd will be driven insane. I don't think I've ever been to a HS band show where someone didn't play West Side Story. You're eliminating Cadets innovation for a year, unless they can find new ways to express the theme visually. Why not just acquire the rights to play another Broadway show that no one has done yet? 1984 style, 2009 music. That would be more refreshing.

3) I can't stand reunion/highlight shows on TV, and I think we'd feel the same effects here.

Please, please please stay away from WSS!!!!

I wouldn't like to see a recreation of any of their previous shows, but I think that if they could somehow do something totally new and weave into it bits and pieces of previous favorites, that would be appealing. Not too many to make it cluttered, but just a few very favorites, and long enough to be enjoyable, but short enough so that it doesn't dominate.

I heard or read that the Cadets 1994 version was A LATIN take on WSS, thats why the guard wore those costumes.

I think they were just supposed to be more "street kids" as what they wore was trendy urban kid wear at the time of the early 90's.

I was way over the WSS idea too until I saw that news item today and thought it was interesting. If Phantom can murder left and right, they could throw in some gang violence for a few GE points..lol :ph34r:

OK !!!!! How many posters on this thread are avid (ok semi avid) Hop bashers. Raise your hands please.

Congratulations!!!!! You have again been successful in validating the mission.

Hop says something, be it; serious, in jest, a smear, a joke, a threat, a heartfelt gesture............ whatever ... and DCP get pages upon pages of posts. And RAMD, or whatever those jokers call themselves, get rocket fuel!!!

If you truly dislike the man, ignore him.... He won't go away, that's for certain, but he won't be the centre of your angst (or is that augnst) either.

Let's move on, together, folks.