Hutchinson Hacienda

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the show is at the home of the Sky Ryders ... favorite Sky Ryders show anyone?

Not sure if it was 1984 or 1985, but Sky had this sop soloist that was out of this world. He could have easily played with BD or Scouts. And I remember the corps being undersized and mostly younger, but this soloist looked like he was 25 (a man among the boys). He had the solo during "Somewhere over the rainbow" and just nailed it every time. And during retreat, I remember the soloist would just blast our faces off with this song as he followed the rest of the corps off the field. Awesome stuff.

Probably due to the cost. It's 680 miles from San Antonio to Hutchinson (I know because I drove it every month for a year), and that's alot of fuel. Per the DCI schedule, their next show was in San Antonio, so it probably did not make any sense to go 1360 miles for one show.

According to DCI, they were last at the Louisville show. The travel distance from Louisville to Hutchinson to San Antonio is only 285 more miles (if I did the math right. It is midnight, so I could be way off)- not that much, in the grand scheme of things. However, to still fuel a fleet for an extra 285 may have been too much. Looks like the rest of their tour is a straight-ish shot to finals, luckily.

Wow... is Pioneer really 10 points behind the 19th place corps? There's no way.

Well, I feel as if the top 19 corps are really happenin' this year! I actually enjoy just about every show. However, Pioneer's show....well :thumbup:

We toured with Sky Ryders in 82, and I always enjoyed watching them !

Their opener was great !!!!!!!

Unfortunately, another great one that is gone...... :thumbup:

Would love to go to a show today that had SkyRyders, 27th, Suncoast, Freelancers, Guardsmen

and Les Eclipse !

Edited by AmmerMP

anyone know where Pioneer is housed at for Dallas??

It is not in our your tour book but give the Corps office a call (414) 327-2847 they sould have the info there or can get it to you.

I signed up just to post in this thread. I've lived in Hutchinson most of my life, and was a huge, huge Sky Ryders fan back in the day. I personally would list '82 as the best Sky Ryders show (Faces & Macarena), followed by the 9th-place 1986 Wizard of Oz show (beating Phantom!). If you have the DCI DVD's, you can catch their '81 show, even though they finished in 14th place and out of Finals. Great brass sections in '81 and '82 (the lead brass instructor that Star of Indiana would later hire; John Simpson, I think), and a great individual soprano soloist, who was the son of the brass instructor at Hutchinson Community College.

Last night's show was quite good. All 5 corps were enjoyable -- no fillers. The Mandarins were the best I have heard them; they really have some talented players. Most in the crowd were surprised that the Troopers edged the Mandarins out. Pioneer had good sound at times, but the marching and color guard were sloppy. They seemed about a month of polish behind Mandarins and Troopers, although close to as talented.

The main thing I wanted to say is that I was completely, totally blown away by Phantom. The pre-show theatrics took me back to some of Santa Clara's great shows (that I heard on the same field) in the mid-'80s. Chills up and down my spine for the entire show, starting with the brass fanfare in the first few seconds. I had tears streaming down my face continuously for the last 2 min. That is quite possibly the most exciting drum corps show I have ever seen in person. As far as Phantom's great shows, I think this year will bear comparison to '89, '96, and '06; in fact, it beats them.

One thing in particular is that they have a really extraordinary mellophone soloist. If he plays as well in Finals as he did last night, that will go down as one of the great soloist efforts -- up there with the mellophone solos from '84 Garfield and '91 Phantom. Absolutely professional quality; extraordinary control and warmth in all registers.

Blue Devils were... meh. And they are my all-time favorite corps. That is their most boring show in years (maybe since '91?). The music is very forgettable. Danny Elfman? Really? I love The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but even that came across as emotionally muted. The soloists were also off. The drum feature was great.

I've turned to DCP occasionally this summer to follow some of the controversies about miking and sound reinforcement. If Phantom wins this year, with their gloriously retro, hyper-emotional show, it will be one of the best things that has happened to drum corps in a while. I guess the best comparison is that it has the energy and wonder of the '85-87 Santa Clara Russian shows, but with modern drill and precision, and with an extraordinary mello soloist as the cherry on top.

How are they only scoring 87???? Can they possibly improve 10 points in the next 3.5 weeks?

I signed up just to post in this thread. I've lived in Hutchinson most of my life, and was a huge, huge Sky Ryders fan back in the day. I personally would list '82 as the best Sky Ryders show (Faces & Macarena), followed by the 9th-place 1986 Wizard of Oz show (beating Phantom!). If you have the DCI DVD's, you can catch their '81 show, even though they finished in 14th place and out of Finals. Great brass sections in '81 and '82 (the lead brass instructor that Star of Indiana would later hire; John Simpson, I think), and a great individual soprano soloist, who was the son of the brass instructor at Hutchinson Community College.

Last night's show was quite good. All 5 corps were enjoyable -- no fillers. The Mandarins were the best I have heard them; they really have some talented players. Most in the crowd were surprised that the Troopers edged the Mandarins out. Pioneer had good sound at times, but the marching and color guard were sloppy. They seemed about a month of polish behind Mandarins and Troopers, although close to as talented.

The main thing I wanted to say is that I was completely, totally blown away by Phantom. The pre-show theatrics took me back to some of Santa Clara's great shows (that I heard on the same field) in the mid-'80s. Chills up and down my spine for the entire show, starting with the brass fanfare in the first few seconds. I had tears streaming down my face continuously for the last 2 min. That is quite possibly the most exciting drum corps show I have ever seen in person. As far as Phantom's great shows, I think this year will bear comparison to '89, '96, and '06; in fact, it beats them.

One thing in particular is that they have a really extraordinary mellophone soloist. If he plays as well in Finals as he did last night, that will go down as one of the great soloist efforts -- up there with the mellophone solos from '84 Garfield and '91 Phantom. Absolutely professional quality; extraordinary control and warmth in all registers.

Blue Devils were... meh. And they are my all-time favorite corps. That is their most boring show in years (maybe since '91?). The music is very forgettable. Danny Elfman? Really? I love The Umbrellas of Cherbourg, but even that came across as emotionally muted. The soloists were also off. The drum feature was great.

I've turned to DCP occasionally this summer to follow some of the controversies about miking and sound reinforcement. If Phantom wins this year, with their gloriously retro, hyper-emotional show, it will be one of the best things that has happened to drum corps in a while. I guess the best comparison is that it has the energy and wonder of the '85-87 Santa Clara Russian shows, but with modern drill and precision, and with an extraordinary mello soloist as the cherry on top.

How are they only scoring 87???? Can they possibly improve 10 points in the next 3.5 weeks?

Thanks so much for posting your thoughts! I felt the same way about BD's show the first time I saw it, but after repeat viewings I realized that there is a LOT to see each moment. But I am totally in love with PR this year too, so I wouldn't have any problem if PR overtook BD at some point. I'm also glad Mandarins had a strong showing--I hope this is a sign of good things to come for them.