Who would take over?

We've all gone on about Hop and what he's done for/to drum corps....hard to believe he's been in the center seat since 1982.

With the departure of Jeff Fiedler from Cavies this year -- another long term director -- and Bruno stepping from Asst. Director to Director, I was thinking who would take over and what changes would be made if:

Hop leaves Cadets (82-pres)

Gibbs leaves BD (91-pres)

Ray Mar leaves Mandarins (although in this case I suspect one of his sons will take over) (God knows when to pres)

Roman leaves Pioneer (was director when God had His learner's permit....probably had the same hat, too!)

etc

Those are the longest-termed directors I can think of right now...and I have no idea of the answers.

Mark Arnold has been at BK since 85, making him one of the longer tenured directors in DCI.

We've all gone on about Hop and what he's done for/to drum corps....hard to believe he's been in the center seat since 1982.

With the departure of Jeff Fiedler from Cavies this year -- another long term director -- and Bruno stepping from Asst. Director to Director, I was thinking who would take over and what changes would be made if:

Hop leaves Cadets (82-pres)

Gibbs leaves BD (91-pres)

Ray Mar leaves Mandarins (although in this case I suspect one of his sons will take over) (God knows when to pres)

Roman leaves Pioneer (was director when God had His learner's permit....probably had the same hat, too!)

etc

Those are the longest-termed directors I can think of right now...and I have no idea of the answers.

If noone knows the answer to this question, for each corps, then there is a real issue.

The fact that '84 may not know, or Boo may not know or I may not know, is really academic. The folks in corps management, volunteers of the corps and members in the corps need an idea of this.

Succession planning is a critical component of any organization's success and takes years of planning/preparation, in many cases, to be successfully implemented. And a director's job in this activity is tough.

Having said that, we are talkiing about some of the most successful (placement/consistency wise) in the activity. Regardless, some of these tenures are looooooooooooooooooooong.

Oh yea, I think Roman is on his 2nd hat ........................finally!!!!!

Hoppy would be in charge of field lining at all venues.

Kevin Smith of Carolina Crown. What a job he's done with them! There at the beginning I believe.