Judging by reputation?

Bingo. This always happens. No one can say for sure that the judges are judging shows based on a corps reputation unless they have actually talked to a judge who was judging that specific show.

I have talked to judges about this, well ex judges because they did not do this as much as some would have wanted them to

But anyway, How the heck did Miss Venezuela win Miss Universe? that’s 2 years in a row now and Venezuela has a long tradition of being very competitive in pageants but that dress was hideous

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have talked to judges about this, well ex judges because they did not do this as much as some would have wanted them to

But anyway, How the heck did Miss Venezuela win Miss Universe? that’s 2 years in a row now and Venezuela has a long tradition of being very competitive in pageants but that dress was hideous

So what did the judges say?

And who the heck is Miss Venezuela?

That's an easy one.

The corps that the OP likes = getting screwed.

The corps that the OP doesn't like = getting a gift.

not at all...Pioneer, not really moving at all in the points since Cedarburg...admittedly not a Pio fan.

Colt Cadets also from Cedarburg, I thought the overall score should have been much closer to Revo and looking at the recaps i couldn't figure out some of the rest...behind Dutch in GE vis? they had so many holes in the hornline, how can you really tell what the intent was?

previous years: Yamato comes out a month after the season begins and 10-points other corps...now not to say (for this example) Yamato did not deserve to win, but I would expect the subcation numbers to be much higher.

World Class corps having problems with their amps making noise, yet (seemingly) no effect on the GE marks. i believe overall that the system is decent, but there is way too much slotting going on, and members as well as fans and staff know it and talk about it.

oh well

So who is it that is getting screwed and who is getting a gift.

I hate these threads where someone is trying to come out and say something without actually saying it.

I have been in Drum corp and a fan of drum corp for many years. Every one should get credit for the work that has been done over many years. Change is good it is part of life. If you run the stats, ( the past 30/years) you have the same few corps each year in the top 3 or 4 spots. This dose not happen in major or Olympic sports etc it destroys the market. Need change if it is crown Booooo or boston or all three. Have a nice day.

Is there any conspiracy theory you don't buy into? I swear your house must be decked out in Roswell gear.

So what did the judges say?

And who the heck is Miss Venezuela?

ms-universe-winner.jpg

Bingo. This always happens. No one can say for sure that the judges are judging shows based on a corps reputation unless they have actually talked to a judge who was judging that specific show.
In my book they are all winners! of course we all have our favorites, Each and every corps and it's members work just as hard.

I have been around drum corps almost 50 years and I go because I enjoy watching the shows , even thou I wait for the scores. It is a way for the corps to get the feed back they need. :ph34r:

I have been in Drum corp and a fan of drum corp for many years. Every one should get credit for the work that has been done over many years. Change is good it is part of life. If you run the stats, ( the past 30/years) you have the same few corps each year in the top 3 or 4 spots. This dose not happen in major or Olympic sports etc it destroys the market. Need change if it is crown Booooo or boston or all three. Have a nice day.

Statistics don't apply because the money, organization, instructors, designers and performers are not randomly distributed amongst corps. If those 5 things produced titles, and you observed that three groups were well ahead of the others in all those areas, you'd expect that they would win almost all of the time. They do.

DCI is best characterized as a "rich get richer" market, because winning a title tends to get you more of the things you need to win titles. There are virtually no incentives, rules or sanctions that push towards parity, or even a limited form of parity among the top 6-8 groups.

I think judging by reputation is more of a subconscious thing than a conscious choice. As humans, we are predisposed to like something if we expect to like it before experiencing it. Judges are obviously going to expect corps that have been historically excellent to be that way. On the other hand, if a corps has been at the back of the pack for a very long time, then the judge will probably expect the show to be sub-par (for lack of a better term) and notice errors more because he/she is looking for them just a bit more carefully.

I'm not a judge and never have been, so I can't say for sure, but that's always been my opinion on it.

And really, in the end there's no harm done, because who out there does drum corps just to get a high score? :ph34r:

So I can live with it... if it does exist, that is.