Your favorite Spirit moments over the years!

My favorite Spirit memory...

Back in 83, we had a huge return of vets, even after the lackluster 1982 season. We hired some new staff and designers that would end up giving us what we needed to return to the middle of the pack and threaten the top tier every now and then. We felt like things were going to be different and we knew that our show was better, but you just don't know until you get on the road. So, the tour began...

On our first meeting with a corps that we had our sights on, Madison Scouts, we were just under 2 points down. The next meeting...1 point. Then at DCI East prelims, we finally topped them. I remember the joy that overcame us standing around in the parking area at J Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown as the word spread...we knew that we had overcome the hurdles that plagued us the year before and we were on our way to being strong again. It was indeed a proud moment, because if you beat the Scouts in the 80s, you had to be good.

Of course, in the end the Scouts overtook us and stayed there...but we weren't far behind, and Spirit stuck right there with them for a good fews years after that.

Funny to note that our score for 7th place in 1983 wouldn't even make finals today.

32780_mSQ7w-L-1.jpg

Hope it's OK; I ran this through a color correction:

32780_mSQ7w-L-1.jpg

What year is this? I'm thinking with the mountains in the background, it must be prelims in Boulder, either '77 or '78.

Edit: Oh, wait, it looks the guard is wearing pants (those little "disco outfits," we called them). So would this be '79 or '80?

Edited by byline

What year is this? I'm thinking with the mountains in the background, it must be prelims in Boulder, either '77 or '78.

Edit: Oh, wait, it looks the guard is wearing pants (those little "disco outfits," we called them). So would this be '79 or '80?

Wrong on all guesses Sue...it is 1982.

Day show...perhaps Allentown prelims?

Edited by ssorrell

Getting my face blown off at Allentown prelims in 1980.

The rainbow double flags in "Let it be me"

Im in the minority but I loved the tuxedos in 1981, and love the "Old man river" drill, the lines marching in a circle and crossing through each other.

Watching the rifle line warm up in 1982 and being intrigued with the veils over their faces.

1982 is one of my favorite years and totally overlooked. Loved the guard work in "Blue Rondo...."

1983, when the dust settles at DCI East, Spirit wipes the floor with the competition and winds up in second.

First notes of "brothers of bop" Spirit was back !

Back to 1981, Ricky Walker marching up the fifty, hands in the air.

"We are the reason" and the introduction, breathtaking.

The colorguard from 1984, especialy the red flags, when they pull apart.

Loved the 1984/85 drill. Moved what seemed so slow but totally covered the field and was so effective.

Seeing Spirit marching towards the stadium in Bayonne

Spirit topping Garfield in 87, wow.

New Orleans funeral in 87, Talk about a corps getting screwed, what an odd year for all of us in 87.

(note: Spirit of Atlanta won high guard in 85, and 87 and came in 2nd in 86 and 4th in 88, thats amazing and the guard was that good. The birth of Scott Chandler and his magic)

1989's colorgaurd uniforms and the "Peas on a string" equipment !! What a drumline !!

Who didnt get goosebumps, or cry even awhen the first big hit of "gone with the wind" was unleashed ! Perfect in every eay from sound to staging, to guard uniform.

Snares in 91's "Johnny comes marching home" and the ending rotating company front.

'Miss otis regrets"

"Fried green tomatoes"

Ballad in 2002 is perhaps one of the best ever put on a field.

The entire 2003 show put a tear in my eye, Semis performance was absolutely emotionally packed.

To name a very few....

Geoffrey

Edited by GMichael1230

Like many of you, I remember Let It Be Me at Birmingham in 1980. What sticks out in my memory is the l-o-n-g pause before the horns cut loose with the final statement. It was a great "telegraph" move - look out, we're gonna push the stands back!

Other than that, my other dominant memory is seeing them in Cedarburg in 1978. I had heard them at prelims in 1977 and thought they were OK. But that day in Cedarburg was something else. Who were THOSE guys again?? Talk about making a statement!

Let It Be Me and Georgia

Porgy and Bess (1984)

Piano Concerto in F (1985)

Hunter Moss anytime he had the stage

Over the years, watching what I always called, "The War of the South" between Spirit and Suncoast Sound 1983-88:

'83

6. Suncoast 86.050

7. Spirit 83.600

'84

6. Spirit 93.100

7. Suncoast 92.000

'85

6. Suncoast 92.700

7. Spirit 91.000

'86

5. Suncoast 94.800

6. Spirit 94.100

'87

9. Suncoast Sound 88.800

10. Spirit 87.600

'88

9. Spirit 89.300

10. Suncoast 89.100

Edited by skajerk

Not to be too picky, but there are a couple missed years here...

1982 is one of my favorite years and totally overlooked. Loved the guard work in "Devil went down..."

Back to 1980, Ricky Walker marching up the fifty, hands in the air.

Hmmm...We didn't do Devil Went Down to GA in 82...our drum solo was Blue Rondo a la Turk. Maybe 80 or 81?

Ricky...was DM in 81 and 82 and both years he presented the corps during the company front of LIBM. Not 1980...he was sop player that year.

New Orleans funeral in 87, Talk about a corps getting screwed, what an odd year for all of us in 87.

Yeah...I was just looking over that year this morning. Odd. They started off beating the Cadets and keeping close to the top, never more than 3 to 5 points behind the leaders all year. They beat Madison, Suncoast, and Star all year...until Semifinals, when their score dropped to the level it was at 3 weeks prior and all three corps just mentioned jumped ahead. 6 days before finals Spirit was 1.1 down from the Cadets, then on finals night a full 10 points. How's that possible?

Yeah...I was just looking over that year this morning. Odd. They started off beating the Cadets and keeping close to the top, never more than 3 to 5 points behind the leaders all year. They beat Madison, Suncoast, and Star all year...until Semifinals, when their score dropped to the level it was at 3 weeks prior and all three corps just mentioned jumped ahead. 6 days before finals Spirit was 1.1 down from the Cadets, then on finals night a full 10 points. How's that possible?

My favorite Spirit moment - Watching them blow the house down in 1983 Allentown prelims - Spirit was definitely back.

I too was surprised at 87 prelims. I was figuring Spirit would end up sixth in just ahead of madison, suncoast and us. I was shocked when they were slotted tenth.

My favorite Spirit moment - Watching them blow the house down in 1983 Allentown prelims - Spirit was definitely back.

I too was surprised at 87 prelims. I was figuring Spirit would end up sixth in just ahead of madison, suncoast and us. I was shocked when they were slotted tenth.

Let's just say that we as a corps weren't very happy with the prelims and finals scores in 1987. Losing to corps we'd been beating handily all year was a bit too much to take. Politics? Likely. But I forgot, there's no such thing as politics in drum corps. Yeah.