On the Road With Gahfield...

Hello Fellow DCPers:

I'm coming to you from the big state of Texas. You might be wondering why I'm there or even with the Cadets right now. I, like many my age (19), have been looking for a job for some time this summer, so when I saw that the Cadets were offering a paying job to merchandise personnel, I couldn't believe it.

I met up with the Cadets in Clifton (Near Garfield) and my first task was to, in addition to getting used to my duties, trying to fit in with the corps and staff, which was easier said than done in my case. I was surrounded not only with some of the best drum corps talents, but some of the best drum corps geniuses and creative minds the activity has to offer.

And to think, the day before I was on DCP waiting for the latest scores.

We've traveled done the eastern seaboard and across to Houston. It has been a blast so far, interacting with the fans of the activity, and helping to create new ones. It has been eye-opening as well how much hate there is out there for the Cadets, and from an ex-anti-narration fan, I guess I can understand. But, you know, the Cadets are coming along with this stuff. The run-through tonight was classic Cadets; it was fast, furious, and boundary pushing. The narration is really shaping up. I hated 2007s narration, and it is kind of a running joke, but 2008 has become all the better for it.

I cannot help but think about the days when Garfield wasn't allowed to sing a vocal Amen, or the days when people snubbed their shows for not being drum corps, even though I wasnt there.

I've seen these kids. They love the Holy Name traditions. Thats why they are there. If you continue to cling to the excuse that you can criticize and demote the Cadets, simply because they chose to march there and they should know that they aren't popular, the so-called traditionalists, then I think you betray the name that people have given you.

The kids march with the Cadets because of the traditions it has carried from 1934 and beyond, in all four names of its existence. The kids are treated to a director who cares for their well-being.

I've only talked with George a few times, but he's always given me a smile and his time when he has it to give. And, for all those who believe that the Cadets are some YEA! machine monster, they are a corps who has had to survive on more than a few occasions on humble means. All is not rainbows and sunshine and many of you should know this.

I've had limited internet access, but go ahead and ask me any questions if you have them.

Also, come up to the souvie booth if you go to a show and ask for me. My name's Rob. I'd love to meet you.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

really??? :troll food:

Edited by horndevil

mmmm mmm mmmm. that's some good kool-aid. what flavor is it? grape?

I'm guessing about as good as the haterade.

Cool beans. Drum corps from the other side of the podium. Have fun, and meet as many people as can. You're in a good position to do that :ph34r:

mmmm mmm mmmm. that's some good kool-aid. what flavor is it? grape?

You could step up...and not use the same old jokes over and over again to turn this thread into the usual boring argument.....or, we can just do that. Besides, of course they're drinking the koolaid....unless the cadets are serving gatorade from those 5 gallon coolers. Did you really expect something else from someone who's been on tour with them for weeks? I'd personally rather hear updates and interesting insider info than antagonize someone in their first report....

Edited by salad315