The Once Powerful Corps

I think its pretty cool that BAC has been in DCI since its inception (sp) and did not make finals until 1999 and have been in it ever since :tongue:

How many corps were in DCI at inception compared to 1999?

Captain Buzzkill, out!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many corps were in DCI at inception compared to 1999?

Captain Buzzkill, out!

True, but at least they hung in there. Attrition may play a role in them finally making finals, but a whole bunch of corps -- mine, included -- were not so fortunate.

It was no fluke once Boston finally powered their way in. They may have derived some benefit from the collapse of other programs as far as easing recruitment issues may go, but it wasn't like they squeaked in at 11th or 12th. They were 9th and then 5th the following year. They have been Top 10 ever since.

It was no fluke once Boston finally powered their way in. They may have derived some benefit from the collapse of other programs as far as easing recruitment issues may go, but it wasn't like they squeaked in at 11th or 12th. They were 9th and then 5th the following year. They have been Top 10 ever since.

SOMEthing must have fundamentally changed at some level to allow Boston to grow in size as they did. It seemed to come out of the blue. They used to be the smallest LOUDEST hornline on the planet. Nothing like Conquest playing balls to the wall by 30 horns.

I'm not saying they didn't get better. It's quite possible they did (in fact, I'm sure of it). However, everyone assumes that other corps (had they still been around) wouldn't have.

SOMEthing must have fundamentally changed at some level to allow Boston to grow in size as they did. It seemed to come out of the blue. They used to be the smallest LOUDEST hornline on the planet. Nothing like Conquest playing balls to the wall by 30 horns.

My guess would be that it all changed when Howard Weinstein was hired. Howard is an alumnus of Suncoast Sound (the years I taught there) and I'm sure he had something to do with the influx of members from Florida as well as having Boston's winter camps there.

Nothing like Conquest playing balls to the wall by 30 horns.

Now if only they'd play the whole friggin' chart IN SHOW instead of the few teaser bars......can you IMAGINE how the stadium would shake??

The first time I ever saw them was 85 prelims, and I swear, when they hit "Conquest" ALL of Camp Randall became the Boston cheering section!! it was amazing!

I think its pretty cool that BAC has been in DCI since its inception (sp) and did not make finals until 1999 and have been in it ever since :tongue:

Great that BAC has been in Finals and been a BIG corps. I look back and remember them in the 80's when they were smaller and JUST AS GOOD if not better than they are now (man for man). BAC was definitely a corps that was looked up to no matter what corps you were in. They marched their bumms off, played pretty darn well and had their own style that was undeniable.

I saw alot of drumcorps on the road my first year in 86 ... finally saw BAC at Quarterfinals in Madison and their feet made my jaw drop ... then I heard Conquest!!! The real Conquest!!!! It's too bad there aren't 100 or so corps that go to Finals anymore. There were so many superb smaller corps that exuded quality and BAC was at the forefront. I miss the old Boston but I'm happy for their Big Dog success as well.

So true, so true! But I think the fundamental change was OUT OF STATE RECRUITING!