Cinecast Cancellations

There were 2 cinemas set to broadcast the Quarterfinals in the Jackson metro area in MS. They have both been cancelled.

This is the E-mail I sent to the theatre company (Malco) and below that is the response I received. I thought I might could pen an E-mil with an effective argument but apparantley that didn't work out.

I am very disappointed that you have chosen not to broadcast the Fathom Events 2008 DCI World Championship Quarterfinals at the Grandview in Madison, MS.

By hosting the Big, Loud & Live 5 event on August 7, your theatre would be only theatre within 150 miles broadcasting the event. The metro Jackson area is populated by some 534,000 citizens and has 18 public and private school districts with band programs which would be the majority of your customers for this event. There are also 11 colleges and universities in the area.

There are 341 other theatres in the country that are hosting this event, but only 1 other in Mississippi. Surely you can see the demand would be high for your theatre and that at $18.00 a ticket, it would be a profitable event for your theatre.

I ask that you please reconsider your decision to cancell the showing of this event.

Sincerely,

Dear ,

We are sorry to disappoint but we are not participating in this broadcast.

Very Best Regards,

Oh well... At least I tried. :tongue:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were 2 cinemas set to broadcast the Quarterfinals in the Jackson metro area in MS. They have both been cancelled.

This is the E-mail I sent to the theatre company (Malco) and below that is the response I received. I thought I might could pen an E-mil with an effective argument but apparantley that didn't work out.

I am very disappointed that you have chosen not to broadcast the Fathom Events 2008 DCI World Championship Quarterfinals at the Grandview in Madison, MS.

By hosting the Big, Loud & Live 5 event on August 7, your theatre would be only theatre within 150 miles broadcasting the event. The metro Jackson area is populated by some 534,000 citizens and has 18 public and private school districts with band programs which would be the majority of your customers for this event. There are also 11 colleges and universities in the area.

There are 341 other theatres in the country that are hosting this event, but only 1 other in Mississippi. Surely you can see the demand would be high for your theatre and that at $18.00 a ticket, it would be a profitable event for your theatre.

I ask that you please reconsider your decision to cancell the showing of this event.

Sincerely,

Dear ,

We are sorry to disappoint but we are not participating in this broadcast.

Very Best Regards,

Oh well... At least I tried. :tongue:

I bet you gather enough signatures to show them how much money they'll lose and they'll change their minds.

Unfortunately, I don't have the time or the connections to contact the band directors in the area that would fill the seats.

Last year (I'm not sure before that) they had the broadcast and the theatre was almost sold out.

I figured you wouldn't. I was actually hoping other DCPers who are affected by this would also take up the cause.

They probably decided to devote another screen to Dark Knight....and the first thing to get rid of, of course...the 'band' competition. :unsure:

I have to give you credit for a nicely thought out letter of respect and encouragement.

I suspect the "Dark Knight" scenario is a possible factor, but will it still be THAT popular in another two weeks?

I have to give you credit for a nicely thought out letter of respect and encouragement.

I suspect the "Dark Knight" scenario is a possible factor, but will it still be THAT popular in another two weeks?

Three quick questions:

Are there advance tickets sales?

How many years did this theater show the broadcast?

How much of that $18.00 fee does the theater keep?

First two answers might show a trend in how many people might have attended.

Last question might show if DCI is really that profitable.

As for "Dark Knight", anything hot coming out in two weeks that theaters may be scambling to have screens for the new release and "Dark Knight" (probably still raking in the bucks by then) both?

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

First, let me say that I have no knowledge of the actual details of the contractual relationship between DCI, NCM/Fathom, and the cinema chains and the management of each individual theatre. I'm just making an assumption based on experience working with cinema chains, films distributors and and studios as clients of my firm.

Anyway, if you really want to make sure that these events are shown in your area, I believe there are a few things you can do to make this happen.

Most contracts with cinemas provide that the individual cinema location pay the distributor on a cost per run basis, in addition to a fee to secure the title. Even though they have already paid to secure the title, they still have a 'per run' fee.

As part of their contracts, the theatres have a 'must run' clause. This clause determines the terms and conditions that require that the theatre must run the title as agreed to in the schedule (if they have it on the schedule, but don't actually run it, they don't have to pay the 'per run' fee), and for additional/extended runs. This 'must run' clause is unique for each title and the terms and conditions vary based on either time day, length of run or number of previous runs.

In some cases, the theatre could be obligated to run if they have sold as little as 2 tickets, but pay the same run fee they would if the house was full.

In the case of digitally distributed titles, like DCI, there is a lock date where the theatre must pay the fee to secure the title. If they have no reasonable expectation the title would at least break-even or if they have something they have more confidence in, they will cancel.

So...

If you live in an area that has the potential to show these, but are getting dropped, there is actually an interesting opportunity here... one that could not only possibly help DCI, but could potentially generate revenue for an organization on a local level.

An local organization like a drum corps or a booster organization could actually approach the theatre (the earlier, the better... minimum about 6 months in advance) and negotiate a minimum buy-out price (this would generally be about 1/3 the seats for something like this). The organization would then have an incentive to sell the seats with a decent margin and the cinema generates additional revenue from concessions, marketing, etc. and has an opportunity to develop a unique sense loyalty with a segment of local customers.

Anyway, if there was an organized effort for something like this... it could work quite well.