Cinecast Cancellations

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A bit off topic, but IMO, these cinecasts (countdowns and quarterfinals) are much better use of DCI resources than ESPN2. I go to theaters, but I don't ever have ESPN2 on. Does anyone know if DCI sends posters to theaters that subscribe so that theater goers will know something different is coming to the theater?

No one knows how much DCI makes off these cinecasts except the bean counters at DCI. And even if these cinecasts are a huge money maker for DCI at the moment, there's always one thing that bean counters never seem to understand when it comes to the balance sheet: The missed opportunities to introduce drum corps to the millions of kids AROUND THE WORLD via the free medium of television (PBS). I'm one of the biggest drum corps fans I know, but I won't be attending the cinecast because I had a bad viewing experience the one and only time I went.

Remember when AOL first started out? You were always getting those stupid disks in the mail by the thousands to download AOL for free? How much do you think that cost AOL...millions? But how many subscribers did they end up getting? Almost 26 million by 2002. At $19/mo that's over 1/2 BILLION dollars a month.

DCI can nickle and dime us to death with CDs/DVDs, cinecast, $350-$400 qtr/semi/final packages, and $40-$50 premium seats at your local DCI show. But if DCI wants to grow the product by reaching the next generation of players/fans, they might want to consider a different business plan.

But if DCI wants to grow the product by reaching the next generation of players/fans, they might want to consider a different business plan.

BAHAHAHAHAHA

Sorry, but how does that fit with the 10 supercorps plan ?

:tongue:

I have to give you credit for a nicely thought out letter of respect and encouragement.

I suspect the "Dark Knight" scenario is a possible factor, but will it still be THAT popular in another two weeks?

I hope so....i'm going home for the DCI broadcast, and then planning to see Dark Knight that weekend with my girl (we've been waiting so we could see it together)

Is that DCIs fault or the theatres in Canada? IS there a mechanism to deliver the product in Canada? I've only seen a movie in New Brunswick and there wasn't a satellite there. So it would be something to persue.

We get satellite broadcasts of the Metropolitan Opera in my little ol' town (pop. 21,000) in southeastern Ontario, so I'm guessing that satellite isn't the problem. Lack of interest (real or perceived) and/or border issues may pose the greater obstacle.

Edited by byline

It could have something to do with The Countdown not working. I bought a ticket early for that, got there and they said they cancelled it because it was not working right at the start, so they turned down everyone for it that night. Malco here in Madison seems to have problems all the time.

Ya - I heard that last year, there were some issues at the beginning of the broadcast and a bunch of people were really rude to the theater workers. A bunch of people left and demanded their money back (which I would say they were within their rights to do, but apparently a bunch of people were real jacka&&es about it).

They were able to fix the problem during the second corps on I think and the rest of the broadcast was fine.

I'll bet the theater just didn't want to deal with those people again.

BTW, who are you Mississippi guys (TitanSop06 and jblamb1401)? I live in Brandon and am originally from Clinton.