Why don't drum corps play jazz anymore?

I HATE THEMES. :tongue: SCREW THEMES. :hehe: NO MORE THEMES!!! :tongue:

Well at least we seem to have gotten past the worst of the badly themed productions. It was horrible a few years ago. I mean seriously, if your show title is a word that is not in the english language, then...just... just no. (though bluecoats 06 was preeettty sweet.)

But do you guys think thiat this might lead to nore original pieces composed for corps? They could just bypass putting snippets of songs in their shows and go straight to the drawing board. Idk, just a thought.

And finally on topic, I know a lot of instructors who are completely and totally opposed to putting jazz on the field for various reasons. I don't agree, but there seem to be a lot. Just saying.

I was watching Crossmen 1997 the other day, and I was thinking......no one really does shows like that anymore, and it's really unfortunate. It's not like jazz is low-brow music, there's certainly a lot of complexity in jazz music, but it doesn't even seem to be about that, no drum corps is truly doing a JAZZ show this year, or anything remotely groovy. The closest I can remember in recent history would be Bluecoats 2005 and 2006 (who doesn't love that 2nd movement in Bluecoats 06, with the trumpet feature and all that, oh it's great!) But not even the Blue Devils seem to really be playing jazz anymore, the last true show they did was 2004, and a bit in 2005, Dance Derby definitely had a lot of cookin moments in it, but overall everyone is just doing a lot of bland neo-tonal symphonic "drum corps music" (you know...I don't mean this as a bash, but it gets to a point where a lot of shows sound the same. The same approaches to tonality in every arranger, except for Wayne Downey and at times Bocook, but it gets tiresome. Every corps begins their shows with the same fanfare thing in Bb), and it's kind of disappointing. Not that I don't like classical music obviously from all eras, I love Phantom's show, and I LOVE BD's show this year, but I really don't see why there is a lack of delving into the world of jazz repertoire. It's kind of sad that corps have been playing 80s pop songs but not a lick of Duke Ellington or Charles Mingus. That's all I have to say, talk amongst ya selves :(

So true.

1991 BD is a good example . . .that was jazz, but in a ####ed up, good kind of bebop way . . .it took a chance, but still was firmly in the "jazz" realm.

There's so much that could be explored within just the umbrella of what is considered jazz, rather than everyone hiding behind the latest wind ensemble composer for safety these days. That gets really old, really fast.

Well have Frank Ticheli write some and everyone will do it.

And finally on topic, I know a lot of instructors who are completely and totally opposed to putting jazz on the field for various reasons. I don't agree, but there seem to be a lot. Just saying.

What reasons? Jazz is fun, ballsy and the crowd enjoys it. What could be wrong with that?

Did I just answer my own question?

Edited by kusankusho

I really miss the full-flowing jazz shows of the past. It just seems like the "Top 5" are pursuing the "thematic" approach to achieve the greatest GE. I remember that back in my day, GE was our greatest weakness. We could march and play great (even win captions), but if you couldn't capture the Music and Visual GE, you were pretty much screwed in the winning department. After 1994, I guess the BD staff figured that out...again; it's not like they didn't win 6 times previously. I'm just saying that the GE judging demands have forced the "Top 5" to pursue the best means by which to match up the fast and furious drill of today with the appropriate selection of music in order to maximize the GE score. Unfortunate, but that appears to be the course that the judges have pushed modern Corps down.

Since its a slightly depressing turn of events, I thought I'd throw in this quick story. During the spring of 1994, Dave Carico and Jim McFarland (former BD Staff) moved down to teach the Vanguard. Two of us, both Baritone players whom Dave had mentored, traveled down from Concord to see how the Vanguard were progressing under their new instructors. Upon arrival, Jim McFarland laughed at us and said, "I hear you guys are playing Spanish music this year...geez, that's original." To which I responded, "I hear you guys are playing Russian music this year, geez that's original too." Immediately thereafter, we were introduced to the 1994 SCV show by an extremely loud rendition of the theme from "The Hunt for Red October" inside the Corps' enclosed practice area...it was quite loud. I loved watching that show everytime we got a change to see it.

I really miss Corps that just play their ##### off...I hate GE.

The same approaches to tonality in every arranger, except for Wayne Downey and at times Bocook, but it gets tiresome.

Was just thinking, anyone ever do a shoenberg show or anything like that? That would be messed up!

What reasons? Jazz is fun, ballsy and the crowd enjoys it. What could be wrong with that?

Did I just answer my own question?

I know right? I don't really understand it either but there have been pretty bad answers like "because it makes feet out of time" and "judges don't like it" which are both complete bs. The funny part is, most of these people have tought or played in jazz shows before. Not gonna drop names tho.