Who Made A Difference?

I absolutely agree.

I should quietly defer to all those who have so far posted on this topic and although I tried to interject a more esoteric idea into "the big moment it all was changed and by whom" only because my mind can't grasp the idea that one group of five or six people really turned this activity on it's head in "just one show" or "one season."

Because I think that's what I'm hearing here.

That it was one show?

One move in one show?

I may have mentioned in another thread that in my era we didn't go far enough into other corps' instructor rosters to speak about what this horn instructor or show designer did.

We just went something like: "Peace sign! Cool!" or "Sunburst! Cool!"

I really am in awe with the professionalism which everyone here is speaking of these designers in the same reverent tones as if they were Martha Graham or George Balanchine - Michael Bennett - Gower Champion - Agnes de Mille - Ron Field - Bob Fosse - you know what I mean.

I think again, there has to be something more organic to the generational and yes quite vivid changes on the field. Swirls and sideways and aiming the horns at the stands intertwining the guard with the horns backwards and so forth - that was almost to be expected - growth from year to year taking a little something from one show and like that it's all good especially now that there are computer programs designed to do the designing for you and a bunch of eager young strong and I dare say kinda crazy people to actually do it. LOL

I don't know how many of you may have laughed at my naive response when I saw the phantom rehearsal video with the horn line literally running toward the camera! Who thought of that?! I'd asked.

To me, that was quantum leapery. (Is that a word?)

But it's more than this topic's title, IMO it's the coal at the heart of the fire. And it can't be touched.

So there, I said it.

Puppet

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What O.P. said (so eloquently) is spot on. As for the family tree, I would humbly suggest:

Dr. Bernard Baggs (Donald's teacher at Bergenfield HS.)

Donald Angelica (Garfield, Cabs bugler, then arranger, B-field Band director, DCI and WGI chief judge...) mentor to:

Jim Jones

Gail Royer

Pete Emmons

Mike Moxley

Fred Sanford

Shirlee Whitcomb

Shirley Stratton

Mel Stratton

Wayne Downey

Ralph Pace

O.P.

George Zingali

Marc Sylvester

Steve Brubaker

Scott Stewart...and on and on...

Influential? Q.E.D., as they say in Geometry.

Hmmm... as I was trying to answer this question (before I read any other reponses) Dr. Baggs was definitely on my short list.

By the way, what happened to the Muchachos in 75? I understand they were pretty good. Did they decide to just stay home or something?

Classic set-up....and 5-6-7-8.

Yup...most had mortages to pay and full time jobs to attend too....

Mike, to you :shutup:

Everyone mentioned, for sure. Add George Oliviero, Peggy Twiggs, Denise Bonfiglio, Anne Fields to the group. Oh, and Ms. Gilligan. And I'm shocked nobody has mentioned Sandra Opie.

I only just got here....apologies offered.

Sandra Opie produced some of the best horn lines to grace the competition field. In fact right up until 96 Phantom, it was my less than humble opinion that they were the best hornline of all time.

Jane Boulin(sp?) Photog extra-ordinare :shutup:

Hmmm... as I was trying to answer this question (before I read any other reponses) Dr. Baggs was definitely on my short list.

Dr Baggs was an amazing man. His son and I were very good friends starting when we met in college in 1971. In fact, his son was an usher at my wedding, so Dr Baggs and Mrs Baggs came to my wedding. His son also played in my college senior recital, so I invited Dr. Baggs and Mrs Baggs to attend. My first piece was a timpani solo, and JUST before I walked out on stage to play it, Bernie Jr told me his dad was a timpanist primarily in his performing days...talk about adding stress, as of course I knew his dad as one of the great judges even at my young age in 1975. Glad to say all went well and he was very kind after the recital.

When I was going through judge training, around 1976, the association I belonged to, MAA, brought Dr Baggs in to our clinic. He said one thing to us newbies that has always stuck with me in making taped comments...if you hear a solist mess up...you can assume that EVERYONE in attendance knew it too, and there was no need to make comments on it, adding insult to inijury...I still hold to that concept today when I judge a band show.

BTW Dr and Mrs Baggs had seven children....6 girls and 1 boy, who is right in the middle. Imagine the fight over the bathroom in the Baggs household in Dumont! :worthy:

After I left teaching fulltime in early 1980, I always worked with his son's bands through the 80's until I moved to central NJ in 1992.

• 1 month later...

Well in my opinion, the individual who has had the greatest impact on Drum Corps, and most of the time not in the ways I like, is George Hopkins.

Hopkins has been the driving force behind almost all major rule changes in the last 20+ years.

I don't often agree with what he tries to push through, but impact on the activity is impact.

For good or bad, he has had A LOT of impact

If I have to narrow it down to one name, I'm with the other posters who have selected Don Angelica.

Fran

After tuning in late here and reading over the total content I just had to correct one thing and that is about who was the first corp to introduce multiple toned base drums? It was the Chicago Royal-Airs way back in the mid 1960's. Always so far ahead of their times in so many ways.....

Edited by royal-air canada