Finals Webcast

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fan Network is the way to go. Smartest thing DCI has done in a long time.

You get Semi's plus a bunch of other shows plus behind the scenes stuff.

Also, you get the WHOLE SHOW for ALL CORPS, not some edited b.s.

Also, you can choose HIGH CAM vs. FIELD VIEW and switch back and forth.

For me it works great using a Mac powerbook and cable modem+WiFi router (Time Warner provider).

You can easily hook up to your TV to watch it that way.

Why would you even thing about ESPN or PPV?

PPV was offered in 1994.

To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't a winner financially.

I don't recall this, but I was in Boston in '94. Plus, if I recall, that was still a time when PBS broadcast the top 6-7 corps live, wasn't it?

I do remember '93 being sent "closed circuit" to various venues. I watched it at a bar in Philly and they had technical problems the whole night. My friend and I gave up and left early to get home to catch it on PBS.

I have no idea how feasible PPV would be, though. Saturday night is a time when there are often bigger events on the PPV bandwith, like WWE, mixed martial arts, boxing, etc. And really, DCI would still presumably need to purchase the satellite time, pay the production costs (greater than a webcast) and share the revenue. It could be an expensive experiment unless there were a sponsor to guarantee at least breakeven.

Slightly OT, but I wish they'd at least go HD for the DVD's...

PPV was offered in 1994.

To the best of my knowledge, it wasn't a winner financially.

It wasn't PPV, it was a proto-version of the cinema broadcast.

I'd love a nice PPV finals that I could record and save on my PVR. Maybe next year.

Honestly, I'm a bit more miffed that there's only three corps that don't get a live broadcast over the fan network. The corps in 18-20 will not get broadcast. Every Open Class corps gets shown, every Semifinals corps gets shown, but the corps only in Quarters get the shaft.

Fan Network is the way to go. Smartest thing DCI has done in a long time.

Also, you can choose HIGH CAM vs. FIELD VIEW and switch back and forth.

Quick question bout that. I saw that during the live broadcast, you could select high cams or field cams,

but when I go to re-watch the shows from this season, it only shows high cam and I don't see a way to

switch to field cams. Is there a way to switch or is high cams the only option for everyone?

I've always thought that DCI might not want to offer cable ppv coverage at all. Webcasts and cinecasts are one thing, because they're hard to copy and reproduce anywhere near the quality you'd get from a DVD that DCI hopes you'll buy. Given how much better the picture and sound would be for ppv, I'm sure a lot of people who might buy DVDs otherwise might settle for the recording they get off of tv.

I could be wrong, of course, but that's just what I've thought for awhile now.

I don't recall this, but I was in Boston in '94. Plus, if I recall, that was still a time when PBS broadcast the top 6-7 corps live, wasn't it?

I do remember '93 being sent "closed circuit" to various venues. I watched it at a bar in Philly and they had technical problems the whole night. My friend and I gave up and left early to get home to catch it on PBS.

I have no idea how feasible PPV would be, though. Saturday night is a time when there are often bigger events on the PPV bandwith, like WWE, mixed martial arts, boxing, etc. And really, DCI would still presumably need to purchase the satellite time, pay the production costs (greater than a webcast) and share the revenue. It could be an expensive experiment unless there were a sponsor to guarantee at least breakeven.

Slightly OT, but I wish they'd at least go HD for the DVD's...

I to remember the 1993 closed circuit. VK had a viewing party w/ catering at a venue in Long Beach, CA. It was the next best thing to being there, plus my ticket money helped support a corps.

BD will be blogging each night, and we'll also be posting short parking lot videos. We can't do live video, but we'll keep you informed!

I could see them not wanting to stream finals because you can still copy those which means they’d be giving up some DVD sales. Makes sense to me from a let’s-milk-our-fans-for-all-they-are-worth to never broadcast finals on line. Charge for quarters in the theatre, charge them for semi’s on the net and charge them for the finals DVD