Biggest Surge in Placement in final 2 weeks of season?

Yeah, some really cookoo stuff going on in the 2 weeks before finals. I remember being surprised that Phantom went from being right on BD's tail at Nightbeat, and then being so far away from BD just a couple of night's later. Really funky.

On the same token, just 10 days earlier, again, Phantom was barely beating Madison, and pretty far behind BD...almost 4 points. So, were Nightbeat's final scores a case of Phantom closing a pretty big gap in 10 days, or what? Very strange stuff.

I remember seeing them in Rockford that year (I wrote an article for DCW about "coming home" after aging out)...what I didn't mention in the article was that they were a big bag of dirt in the early season. I thought they'd get 6th that year. And then I saw them at Quarters....wow. What a difference.

I have a feeling that Regiment just turned it on during the last few weeks of the season...but I wasn't there. Ernie? You out there? Care to fill us in on the last few weeks of the '96 Regiment?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

didnt Boston make a huge jump in 2000?

I think the Cadets in 1992 were a real shock. They were running 5th and 6th for a large part of the season, and by Finals night many of us were thinking they WON the show. They came in 2nd, but to me that was the best performance on Finals night. Now days when I listen to their show I think the brass was a bit rough, but none of the corps truly cleaned their shows in 1992, and the last 2 minutes of the Cavaliers show was very dirty. You could have made a good case that Star of Indiana was the best corps that year.

JW

outside of the 9 guys in green shirts i think everyone in the stadium knew that cadets won in 92, with madison a close second. i've always suspected cadets win in 93 was driven as much by a latent desire on the judges part to make up for that gaffe as anything else

I was thinking about this from the thread about the 7 corps that have beaten the other active scores in DCI. Who has come out of no where to shock the worls and either win it all or move up dramatically?

My thoughts-

'88 Madison- Weren't they like 7th going into finals week and then of course won the title?

'05 SCV- was laboring around 7-9 all season long before catching fire and finishing top six!

Spirit- the last five years were out of finals some or a lot of the season only to come on strong and take the 12th spot.

Magic '02- The heart breaking year for BK as they were holding on dearly to that 12th spot that year only to see Div 2 Magic come in and be the first corps to make finals as a D2 corps. I believe they finished 10th that year?

Your thoughts, historical add ons and who is it gonna be this year? My surge predictions- BK keeps rising and comes close to Bluecoats in the end, SCV passes Cadets and maybe Cavies, Crown pushes to top two and Madison surprises everyone in Semi's and make the finals show. More of fun picks than anything else.

Wes Perkins

BK '97 '98

im pretty sure SCV 05' didnt finish top six that year...

i could be wrong...but i thought it went

cadets

cavies

PR

bd

bluecoats

madison

crown

then scv...? 8th?

or maybe i read the post wrong

im pretty sure SCV 05' didnt finish top six that year...

i could be wrong...but i thought it went

cadets

cavies

PR

bd

bluecoats

madison

crown

then scv...? 8th?

or maybe i read the post wrong

Yep, as soon as I posted it I thought back and realized that I had meant SCV '06, oops my bad. SCV was 8th in '05.

WP

outside of the 9 guys in green shirts i think everyone in the stadium knew that cadets won in 92, with madison a close second. i've always suspected cadets win in 93 was driven as much by a latent desire on the judges part to make up for that gaffe as anything else

Cadets win in 93 was because they performed one of the most difficult shows ever extremely well.

Suncoast Sound 1989. Ended in 9th. I think the were out of finals score wise a few weeks before finals

Cadets 1992. Ended in 2nd. A few weeks out looked like they could be 5th.

August 5th 1992 Cadets lost to BD and Cavies and had lost their previous meetings with Madison and Star as well. So they might have been in 5th as late as 10 days before finals.

I have pretty strong memories of the 1986 Garfield Cadets (defending champs, no less) running in the 10-12 spots mid-season, moving up to 4th at Finals.

At DCE Champs in mid-July, Spirit smoked the Cadets (who barely beat 27th Lancers). IIRC, the DCE show was on July 18 or 19. Spirit scored 84-85, Cadets 80, and 2-7 had a 79.something. By the end, Spirit finished 6th and 2-7 was 13th.

Edited by Dale Bari