Murfressboro Mess Hall

based on this statement. BD has the exact same opportunity with music. great GE scores and performance scores are still "dirty" you really think the BD wont clean up their music? the sword has two sides homie

What's this about a sword?

Does it have 13 blades and Spartacus' name on it? Or am I missing something?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

based on this statement. BD has the exact same opportunity with music. great GE scores and performance scores are still "dirty" you really think the BD wont clean up their music? the sword has two sides homie

I never said that BD couldn't clean up their music "homie". I simply was stating that if PR can clean it up visually, they will be in an excellent position to win. As other people say on here....you have a very nice corps too. Chill out.

I never said that BD couldn't clean up their music "homie". I simply was stating that if PR can clean it up visually, they will be in an excellent position to win. As other people say on here....you have a very nice corps too. Chill out.

wow somebody is freakin out lol in the words of walter sobcheck "im calmer than you are"

"im calmer than you are"

You guys keep arguing...

I'm staying... I'm finishing my coffee

Great time last night in the Boro which is my hometown!

The stadium is an awesome venue!

Great Crowd!

Rain held off!!!

Not bad temps for summer time in the south, but humid.

Every Guard had issues last night ...

Guess my biggest surprise of the evening was the crowd reaction to the Blue Devils -- really flat -- individual performance issues -- saw some folks out of step -- crazy to see in BD -- love the first part of their show -- we'll see how they do in Hotlanta tonight.

Phantom, Cavies and Crown had the best reactions from the crowd -- in that order. Agree how close Phantom iwas to the Cavies -- thought Crown's score needed to be higher, but I had Phantom over Crown.

Cadets actually had a good response from the crowd -- 65% standing O --- before they move into the :laughing: ending. Narration is much better, but not great -- killing the flow -- My Sister cried at the end with the little girl running out of the field -- 5th place is the Cadets' spot at this point.

Bluecoats really have cleaned their show -- just all smiles there for me -- enjoyed the performance.

SCV -- I LOVE THIS SHOW!! -- the middle section of the show is just SEXY! Marching dirt is holding them back.

Blue Knights had a good run last evening -- show is growing on me -- much better in person.

Once again -- great evening in Murfreesboro -- good preview for me -- I'll see some of you in Bloomington!!!! First finals since 2003!!!

When's the last time BD has been on the losing in brass this many times in a season? Visual placement up, brass placement down, the sacrifice for visual is telling if for BD only.

If DCI puts so much emphasis on Visual and less on the music they will soon see a gradual decline in attendance. Again!

When's the last time BD has been on the losing in brass this many times in a season? Visual placement up, brass placement down, the sacrifice for visual is telling if for BD only.

If DCI puts so much emphasis on Visual and less on the music they will soon see a gradual decline in attendance. Again!

what do you mean so much emphasis? they count for exactly the same...i dont get it

Quick hits from last night's show:

BK - Please play your horns. I'm a percussionist, and I enjoy a good percussion ensemble, but for an entire movement to be nothing but front ensemble with dancing hornline bored me too tears. A major step down from the top 7.

SCV - Intense show! Like the overal concept, and those guys never stop! Constant velocity was fun to watch, and the drumline was much improved over last year.

Bluecoats - loved the drumline and the story-telling in the show. Well done. Visually and musically good, but not at the level of the remaining corps.

Cadets - I thought the talking would bother me way more than it did. I really bought into the emotion of the show. They had the first really big sound of the night for me. Always visually and musically demanding and I appreciated it.

Phantom - I liked the 2nd half of the show much better than the first half. It was like a movie that took too long to get into the action. Obviously, very well played, but the drill in the first half just didn't have the same velocity or "wow" factor of several other corps. I can understand why the one judge had them down... Musically though.. WOW

Crown - Favorite of the night. Loved the new ending stuff. I'm really glad they got a drumline this year! All the details in the shows are fun to try and catch. And that hornline! another WOW

Cavies - Visually stunning. Just amazing to sit and watch what they come up with year after year. I caught several of the Japanese movement details throughout the show and that just impresses me. Musically, I thought the 7 snares seemed a bit under balanced especially when playing split phrases. The only thing I really remember about the horn book is the pitch bending. I also wondered if the effect of all the samurai swordplay with the characters would be diminished by similar idead in Phantom's show. Kind of like "ok, we've seen this before..." It was still very cool, though.

BD - I had gone and watched their rehearsal the night before so I had a little more insight into their show. I must say I was underwhelmed. I get the random "absurdity" throughout the show, but it just doesn't do it for me. And they did not have a good musical run at all last night. The guard is amazing, and I think they stepped up their drill package this year, but musically...eh...

You lost a lot of credibility with me on this statement. Now if your talking about design, then yeah that's debatable. In terms of performance, not a chance. Better? Yes for the time being. "Heads and shoulders above," not a chance.

If the visual-centered people can say that Blue Devils and Cavaliers are better than Phantom Regiment, why can't the music-centered people say they believe Phantom Regiment to be better in brass? I don't care if I lost credibility with anybody. I think Phantom's horns are the best out there...period, and I have seen the top 14 drum corps this season, in person. Now, "head and shoulders" is my opinion, which I am entitled to, and last night, the judges agreed. I think it is difficult to be placed 1st by ALL FIVE music judges if you are not clearly setting yourself apart.

Yeah, I totally agree about BD, I didn't think they had a good run at all last night. I have a few friends in the contra section who I visited with after the show and they were complaining about the crowd last night not being very good. I tried to explain to them the major responses that Crown, PR and Cavies (and also the Cadets to a slightly lesser extent) got and then I just didn't feel like they were on at all tonight.

So due to them not being on last night, it makes me wonder how they were so far ahead of everyone else. I agree that PR and Cavies should be very close and I agree with Crown's score last night as well (I caught both of their rehearsals in Memphis this week and watched them working on their new closer drill which is just a few days old, so it's still dirty. They'll get it soon) but I don't think that BD with such a flat show last night was way better than those 3. I didn't even think they were better than those 3 at San Antonio after watching the webcast. Does anyone have any idea how/why they are ending up so much better?

Edited by KnightOfNi222