BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

Except for slotting and west coast inflation :cool:

What I'm curious about is, where would we be if this had been changed back in June?

nobody would care.. just like it wont be a big issue in a month

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That, and the gigantic star in the color blue on one side of their body.

Wrong. That was the first bad move in changing their uniform. They need to be blue, helmeted, with a big white X on their chests.

Wrong. That was the first bad move in changing their uniform. They need to be blue, helmeted, with a big white X on their chests.

yeah, because that wasnt a visual disaster.

dont get me wrong, was proud to march in the uniform, but it needed a change too.

Does anybody have a picture of the new hats?

It's back on page 3

Well, isn't this an interesting thread? Who would have thought that a head covering could generate this much excitement, disgust, angst, anger, ........... can anyone think of any other adjectives? I can but I'd probably get edited.

The Blue Stars are still the Blue Stars; their history hasn't changed one iota with the addition of the new shako. No one is going to have any trouble recognizing them when they see them on the field and to suggest otherwise says to me that maybe you don't really bleed blue at all!!!

What's really disappointing is the reaction of some alumni who act as if the corps has sold itself to Satan!

Edited by DCIowaFan

This is what I said last year on the subject of the new uniforms. I think it encapsulates well my thoughts on the shakos as well:

Aesthetically, they're very strange looking especially in formations; the white has no definition and the blue side looks smaller than the white by comparison. If you're going for that look like BD's guard unis a few years back that's one thing, but I doubt that's what they intended. While the white plume works better with that uniform than a red plume would, it doesn't improve the overall package, which is very bland without any kind of bright color to set things off. Overall I don't think the uniform has anything bold about it; it's all off-center and undefined.

If I wasn't an alumnus, I would make the same comment about the change that I did when Madison changed their uniform: they went from a uniform that was unequivocally and undeniably connected to their identity on a very deep level, to one that was basically saying "please give us higher scores!" I can't recall a time when the Cadets, who have worn essentially the same uniforms for some eighty years, were told that they needed to change their uniforms for visual reasons, or at least not in a manner they took seriously. Likewise with any of the top contenders. They got to where they are by being themselves and ignoring the naysayers; they tied their identity to their goals and they reached them. Why do the Blue Stars believe that they can attain success by selling out their very well known visual identity? Yes, yes, I've heard the arguments about how they supposedly make it more difficult to make forms clean, which I don't buy at all, but if that is the case, this uniform is not a step in the right direction. If the Blue Stars want to reach their goals of success, they need to be proud of who they are and make it known to the world that they're not going to apologize for being that, not look for ways to blend into the crowd. I can't think of one successful drum corps, professional performing group or band, or individual who became a great success by just falling in with what everyone else was doing.

The Blue Stars are still the Blue Stars; their history hasn't changed one iota with the addition of the new shako. No one is going to have any trouble recognizing them when they see them on the field and to suggest otherwise says to me that maybe you don't really bleed blue at all!!!

What's really disappointing is the reaction of some alumni who act as if the corps has sold itself to Satan! Maybe those of you who feel that way don't really bleed blue after all!

With all due respect, if I didn't care about the corps, I wouldn't say a bloody word about the shakos. I would just shrug and go "Oh well, whatever." That's what a person who doesn't care about the corps does.

Sitting in the third level, I didn't even notice today. But I did see the drum major lose his plume when he went to put down his shako. (At least, I think that was the Blue Stars...)

Edited by IPlayPercussion

the helments were cool, the new unis are ok( i suppose) they need to incorperate their old look with a new modern twist.

maybe make the helmets blue with a white plum, or blue with a white plum.

or maybe i just have a hatred for shakos because everyone and their mother uses them, ok maybe not everyone. at least it doesnt have the eagle on it like a lot of HS have, i like the star on it