BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

I wanna do the p-raid but I am attaching a ball and chain 3 weeks after octoberfest so I got to OK it with her

Yikes!

Kid, you're not even married yet, and you're already calling her a "ball and chain"?

If you feel like that for real, save yourself a ton of money and grief and stop the wedding, 'cuz the marriage is already over!

:laughing:

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

why is there such hostility between past present and future blue stars members?

i mean i said this in this thread before until your paying for it out of your pocket, or are on the design team, can you really complain? if it bothers you that much, get yourself into a position to where you can fix it.

your not going to completely stop watching them for changing to shakos just like people havent stopped watching cadets for this 3 year journey of theirs, and you know it. so after the first couple pages, was this thread neccessary anymore?

and finally the only selling out ive seen recently was AB selling out to InBev, now guess where im from...

... and even that goes to prove your good point, which is, in essence: "what do you want -- more tradition, or better beer?"

And, after all, if you repeat something enough, it becomes "tradition" anyway. It may as well be something good. Let's start now!

As a Blue Stars alum also, I didn't like the shakos at all when they came out for the Atlanta afternoon show. To top it off, the show seemed kind of flat and the volume was just not there, adding to the feeling. However, when they came out for the night show and cranked it up a few notches, the shako idea worked MUCH BETTER! As a matter of fact, I began to like them!

My opinion - it's not my corps; it's THEIR corps, so they are free to change, experiment and, yes, possibly even IMPROVE the image and performance of the corps by trying whatever they want to try! And I will still be a proud alum, regardless of what they do.

Maybe the helmets will be back once they can get some that FIT!?!?!? Otherwise, I'm all for whatever they want to try to climb the ladder!

FCO, Stars!

Edited by KeyboardGuy

Can someone please post a photo of the Blue Stars new look? It's times such as this that I feel completely out of the loop. Everyone has left for tour while some of us are "stuck" here on the WC, two thousand miles away from all the activity. Photos would help along with the reviews. Thanks!

http://years.bluestars.org/phil.php

"There were always two parts to the basic concept in the formation of 'The Blue Star Jr. Drum & Bugle Corps.' The first part had to do with the fact that the vehicle, the corps itself, had to be fashioned to excellence. Not La Crosse excellence, not area excellence, but national excellence. We could be competitive with the world, not just competitive to participate, but competitive to win. The second part of our junior corps philosophy and the more important in the long run, was that each member must experience a positive learning experience. We wanted the corps to be a community within a community. A community where all the citizens would have a chance to better prepare themselves for the future. The spirit of the corps and the guarantee of the corps continuity was manifested in another way. It was found in its' leaders' dedication to the edification of its members. It was found in its' members' dedication to each other and not to personal glorification. We were not a corps of spiritual soloists. We were a group of people sincerely believing in each other and working and looking forward to the growth and success of those we worked with, and not just in drum corps. No prima donna members here, no self-centered instructors, no egomaniac directors. And the corps became great."

Good luck Blue Stars on your journey towards greatness, white bucks or not, helmets or not, cross straps and buckles or not, Jewish or not--whatever.

Just keep doing what you're doing. :laughing:

Yikes!

Kid, you're not even married yet, and you're already calling her a "ball and chain"?

If you feel like that for real, save yourself a ton of money and grief and stop the wedding, 'cuz the marriage is already over!

:laughing:

hey we both joke about it there is no prob at all

why is there such hostility between past present and future blue stars members?

I dont think its hostility, as much as we're all very passionate about the corps and where its been and where its going. I'd gladly share a beer with any of the alums in this thread. At the end of the day, we all want what's best for the blue stars.

As I've said before, I don't like that they're giving up everything that was unique about them in the eye of the public in the name of building up scores. The corps that are successful today didn't get there by homogenizing themselves, they got there by being who they were and not being ashamed of it.

Oh puhLEASE!

Corps become successful because of making positive improvements to their program. This INCLUDES their look, style, image, etc... All issues of tradition aside, anyone with two eyes and a brain can see that the shakos fit the new uniform style WAY better. The shakos take a 6 foot person and makes them 7 1/2 feet tall. The helmets looked like white blobs on top of the uniform. They're BETTER. And guess what, when the Blue Stars enter the field, everyone still knows it's the Blue Stars. Thank God for event programs, whithout them I guess we'd all just be wandering around bumping into walls what with all the universe ending uniform changes. :laughing:

Yeah, regardless of what anyone thinks about the shakos, any allegations of the corps losing their identity or spirit just don't make any sense. The Blue Stars are who they are for so many other reasons. Attend a rehearsal and see the work ethic and the respect the kids have for the staff. Reasons like THOSE are why the Blue Stars are still the same Blue Stars.

If it were so intimately tied to what uniforms they were wearing, then the lessons learned all summer would be null and void as soon as they take off their uniforms... instead of with them forever, as they are.

FCO!