BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

HHAHAHAHAHA SAFE SHOW DESIGN..... WOW.... IT IS SOOOOOO SAFE.....

It's a collection of music by French composers...wow...innovative. Other than the composers being french, I don't see what it has to do with "Le tour". I've seen the show a couple times and can't remember, let alone hum any of the tunes. Sorry for not drinking the kool-aid that the high-power design staff is selling.

Dave.

You are putting the Cadets on this pedestal for not changing their uniforms. But do you forget in 2005 and 2006, they completely changed the backside of the uniforms?

Indeed they did. I thought it was cheesy. Much like the two-tone Blue Stars pants from last year = a gimmick, nothing more.

Perhaps something like the deep-well Phantom/Bluecoats profile that obviously works on the move, adapted to the futuristic new Blue Stars look? There are so many very striking possibilities...

Thanks for bringing a corps that did it right - the Bluecoats. Their uniform is 100% improved from a few years ago, retains their trademark helmet, and looks very striking under the lights. And you know it's them immediately. In other words, nothing like the new White Stars uniforms.

Jewish is still there. The vets make sure of it every year.

Just not the Jewish Star that was very prevalent when I marched, and before I marched. But that wasn't politically correct enough, so it's become a generic 5-point star.

Now Frosty do you really think that was the driving force behind the uniform change? Honestly, you have to be making that point just for the sake of argument and nothing else.

Of course not, Boz. Go back and read the post I was responding to...he made the argument, I just paraphrased it. I used to be on the BOD, so I know how these things go. I'm pretty sure I could come up with at least 5 reasons why the change was made. That doesn't mean I agree or like it.

The corps steady success in the past few years has a lot less to do with uniforms than it does with other factors. More staff, brand-new equipment, Div 1-friendly show designs, older average age of membership, fewer ageouts, more experienced members jumping ship from other corps, etc. And that's just the performance-related stuff. To say the uniform was holding the corps back competitively vs. all those other factors is just laughable. Put the Cavaliers in old-school Blue Stars uniforms, and they will still blow everyone out of the water visually.

My point is, the uniform is NOT a major factor in terms of competitive success (I'll point again to the Cadets), but it is a pretty big factor in the corps outward identity.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I like. :tongue:

To be honest, last night I was thinking of the exact design, but instead of the shell being blue, it was white.

Yeah, I tried a white version too. It looks pretty good, but it was just enough like Phantom's headgear that I finally steered away.

Anyway, I think the blue helmet would really make the shiny chromium "star", front visor, and chinstrap elements "pop" really nicely. If the helmet is super-glossy as well, the blue would just look too fabulous for words under the lights!

Was thinking of an impression of speed, superpowers, etc -- not so much military as futuristic, by way of "Flash Gordon" or "Captain America". Nobody else is really going for such a thing, so it seems like a fun niche to fill, and would certainly fit the current hyperspeed drill designs.

Glad you like it!

:worthy:

I've seen the show a couple times and can't remember, let alone hum any of the tunes. Sorry for not drinking the kool-aid that the high-power design staff is selling.

What the hell does being able to "hum the tunes" have anything to with anything?

Some music is aimed at hummers (melody-heavy), and some music is aimed at more complete impressions.

That's not a qualitative judgement, it's basic music comprehension.

C'mon now, don't be a rube!

(Sorry for jumping into your flame-war with the other guy, but that was just too cheap to ignore.)

Just not the Jewish Star that was very prevalent when I marched, and before I marched. But that wasn't politically correct enough, so it's become a generic 5-point star.

There's a Jewish star in the opener drill.

umm it was always a 5 point star many members turned it in to a jewish star ( for reasons of bonding with the corps song etc

but still we usually used 5 point stars in drills sometimes a 6 point here and there

in the early 2000's alot of stuff got blown out of proportion by vets,, people thinking stuff was tradition when they were not really

BTW when I was teaching a bit in winter of 2008 many kids still had jewish star tats, necklaces, etc...

Edited by bscontra

umm it was always a 5 point star many members turned it in to a jewish star ( for reasons of bonding with the corps song etc

but still we usually used 5 point stars in drills sometimes a 6 point here and there

in the early 2000's alot of stuff got blown out of proportion by vets,, people thinking stuff was tradition when they were not really

BTW when I was teaching a bit in winter of 2008 many kids still had jewish star tats, necklaces, etc...

I agree, numerous "traditions" have been blown out of proportion over the years. It is extremely interesting that the people so resistant to the new uniform changes seem to forget that the uniform THEY marched was drastically different than the original Blue Stars uniform. Whatever, the changes are here, the gripers have had their say, and just like last year this issue will fade away as we all move forward. There is way to exciting of a finals week coming up to be stuck in the Shako argument. FCO Blue Stars!

I agree, numerous "traditions" have been blown out of proportion over the years. It is extremely interesting that the people so resistant to the new uniform changes seem to forget that the uniform THEY marched was drastically different than the original Blue Stars uniform. Whatever, the changes are here, the gripers have had their say, and just like last year this issue will fade away as we all move forward. There is way to exciting of a finals week coming up to be stuck in the Shako argument. FCO Blue Stars!

At least the guard has helmets. :tongue:

It's a collection of music by French composers...wow...innovative. Other than the composers being french, I don't see what it has to do with "Le tour". I've seen the show a couple times and can't remember, let alone hum any of the tunes. Sorry for not drinking the kool-aid that the high-power design staff is selling.

I think it's too bad that the uniform changes has ruined your ability to enjoy the Blue Stars. I haven't heard you say anything positive about the corps since 06 when they still had royal blue and cross straps, (which this years show is FAR superior to in every way). If you can't sink your teeth into Le Tour (clearly one of the fan favorites this year) then I seriously doubt there is anything Blue Stars could put on the field that would make you happy. The old uni's aren't coming back. Get over it. There's room on the bus if you care to get back on. Lots of room. It's a huge freaking bus.