BLUE STARS IN SHAKOS?

Oh puhLEASE!

Corps become successful because of making positive improvements to their program. This INCLUDES their look, style, image, etc... All issues of tradition aside, anyone with two eyes and a brain can see that the shakos fit the new uniform style WAY better. The shakos take a 6 foot person and makes them 7 1/2 feet tall. The helmets looked like white blobs on top of the uniform. They're BETTER. And guess what, when the Blue Stars enter the field, everyone still knows it's the Blue Stars. Thank God for event programs, whithout them I guess we'd all just be wandering around bumping into walls what with all the universe ending uniform changes. :laughing:

I guess it depend on the corps. And yes the shako looks better the with new unis..Won't argue that..But like I said ealier, why not re-design the helmet to make it work?? It's not rocket science. And of course people still know it's the Blue Stars out there...That's not the point..I mean, you could put shakos on the Cavaliers and you would still know it was them just based on their style of marching, playing, and etc...He's an alumn who is upset with getting rid of the Blue Stars look..I don't see the problem with that. At least he cares enough to voice his opinion. Same goes for those who agree with the change. The new look works well in my opinion..But then again, the old school Blue Stars look was MUCH better. They used to have a distinct classic look to them. Now it's much more generic. Again, just my opinion. Either way, they have one of my favorite shows this year...Helmets or not.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Blue Star Alumni and someone who is really proud of the corps and what they have been able to achieve it is always kind of hard seeing them in the new uniforms. I honestly don't know what goes into making the choice to move, and I know being very competitive is important to the future success of the corps. As a former member I honestly didn't care about the scores once the summer was over, I was proud of what we achieved as a group, the life long friends I gained, and the tradition we brought to the field. I liked the old uniforms for the unique look and the clink of the horn on my buckle at high parade rest. Oh and from a guy who is tall, has a big head, and very awkward (god knows how they got me to march) I can't remember having problems with the helmets it was more the shoes that the members and I would complain about. Well I guess the new look is complete, the buckle years are officially over, but on a side note I think the Blue Stars Cadets are rocking the old uniforms. I know my friends still marching are going to rock out come finals week and hopefully the change of look will be the right path, time will tell.

FCO

Being just a fan and a two year volunteer, I know better than to get involved in the wrongs and the rights of this discussion. What I do like is the passion with which you, alumni, defend your point. It shows your love for the corps more than anything else. Like Dave said 'If I wouldn't care about the corps, I wouldn't be upset'.

Personally I was very surprised to see the change to shakos. I guess they go better with the new look, but I liked the helmets too. I can see both points of the story and they're both valuable. I don't think any of you is wrong or right on this, it's a matter of approach. I've learned it's a good Blue Stars tradition to put your opinions out there, and discuss them. But I also know each one of you bleeds as blue as can be. You're all part of a great organization and no uniform change will ever change that, right?

FCO

I like the new look, I like the Shakos, thats my opinion and mine is the only one that matters ...

In my own little world. that is

ie Our old identity wasn't good enough, so we need a new one to increase our fanbase. How is that NOT the very definition selling out? If anything, this is the epitomy of "New Coke", to use your comparison. I'm glad to see the fans are finally starting to catch on that the Blue Stars are making a "comeback", even though they never went away...because of a uniform change and a generally "safe" show design.

Now Frosty do you really think that was the driving force behind the uniform change? Honestly, you have to be making that point just for the sake of argument and nothing else.

Here are a few realities for people to sink their teeth into.

For the past 5 years, the Blue Stars have fielded remarkably improved corps, every year, without fail.

Numerous changes in the structure and management concept have occured that have aided this in happening.

The motivation for change within the organization has ALWAYS been in the best interest of bringing the corps back to World Class and furthering their compettitive advantage on the field. THIS IS DRUM CORPS, THAT IS A GOOD THING.

No one can say that the corps would be where it is today, if any one of those numerous changes had not occured. But it is an unargueable fact that every change made along the way was a part of what has them competing for top 9 in two weeks.

I can't believe that some alumni are so stuck in their own image of what THEY were when they were in the corps, that they can overlook the fact that the non-material traditions that are the TRUE foundation of what it means to be a Blue Star are THRIVING whithin the corps.

FCO....this is the year.

Yeah, regardless of what anyone thinks about the shakos, any allegations of the corps losing their identity or spirit just don't make any sense. The Blue Stars are who they are for so many other reasons. Attend a rehearsal and see the work ethic and the respect the kids have for the staff. Reasons like THOSE are why the Blue Stars are still the same Blue Stars.

If it were so intimately tied to what uniforms they were wearing, then the lessons learned all summer would be null and void as soon as they take off their uniforms... instead of with them forever, as they are.

FCO!

Thanks for saying what I meant, but with a little less venom.

I don't know if this was covered in here.. But since they had to get new lids.. Why not get new Helmets since what I read so far was they were so OLD and So out of shape and Worn.. Umm Ok.. So just get new ones.. Like Phantom and Bluecoats.. Were they specially made they could not get them again.

I Know last year I knew they we blue star because of the helmet. If I did not know about this when I see them at east I would probably be like who is this?? Oh well such is life..