Temper Tantrum

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Curious thing is, Troopers beat Academy in all of the visual captions, yet still got set in GE Vis.

If anything, it was the difference in hornline scores that did it for Academy today- and they did deserve it.

Of course at this level, few care... because after all, it's not the top six. I suspect that Granny cares and is one of those waiting for tonights scores as she is biting her lip, waiting to unleash a new fury?

That's what's odd--I honestly was not wringing my hands today. I sincerely felt optimistic that the judges would get it right this afternoon. So...in that case the previous post was wrong. HOWEVER, the second half was right! Hell hath no fury!

In fact, I hope that Fred Morris leaves the caption heads outside in the hall when he goes in for critique. Then I hope he drops that cowboy hat down on his brow, attaches some spurs on his boots and uses them for purposes they weren't intended for.

If you don't have a large and somewhat competent guard in DCI these days, fuggedahboutit.

That's what you get for having so many guard folks judging the visual categories.

I wonder...of all the visual judges, how many of them are drill writers versus color guard personnel who don't write drill?

Yup. As usual, Nikk has it. I love Troopers' show much more than the two corps that finished ahead of them, but if you look at the way DCI shows have traditionally been scored, I don't think you can fairly say that Troopers are getting screwed. It is consistent. Small size hurts.

You want better scores, as Trooper fans? You'd better figure out what went wrong in Brass execution today, but more importantly, GET MORE good GUARD members... job one!

Edited by Peel Paint

You want better scores, as Trooper fans? You'd better figure out what went wrong in Brass execution today, but more importantly, GET MORE good GUARD members... job one!

Yeah, like they're going to add more guard members at this point in the season. Guard recruitment will not be a problem next summer.

I was as guilty of this as everyone else right now, but it's just one score. There's nothing that says that Troop's out of the running yet.

Yeah, like they're going to add more guard members at this point in the season. Guard recruitment will not be a problem next summer.

No, of course I meant next summer. This has been a multi-year issue for Troop and it has to be solved if you want to move higher. 12? guard isn't going to make semis.

Don't shoot the messenger, who may be more neutral than you. Make an effort to evaluate the message on its merits. You have the visual design elements now, but you need guard numbers + quality = moving up.

Edited by Peel Paint

You want better scores, as Trooper fans? You'd better figure out what went wrong in Brass execution today...

Mr. Peel Paint or anyone else who agrees with him, please help this frail little old lady understand what YOU think is wrong with the Troopers brass in relationship to these other corps they are competing with (Academy, PC, and Spirit). It's easy to simply throw that statement out there because that's how the judges judged, but to my untrained ear the Troopers horns have a less "edgy" sound, a better blended sound with more impact than the others. (Note: Don't try to blame my hearing because both my hearing aids are perfectly tuned).

Don't shoot the messenger, who may be more neutral than you. Make an effort to evaluate the message on its merits. You have the visual design elements now, but you need guard numbers + quality = moving up.

And I seriously think that the guard will not be an issue next summer. At least I hope so. The current small guard is working it out there, and with a proper year of recruitment things should be settled.

Mr. Peel Paint or anyone else who agrees with him, please help this frail little old lady understand what YOU think is wrong with the Troopers brass in relationship to these other corps they are competing with (Academy, PC, and Spirit). It's easy to simply throw that statement out there because that's how the judges judged, but to my untrained ear the Troopers horns have a less "edgy" sound, a better blended sound with more impact than the others. (Note: Don't try to blame my hearing because both my hearing aids are perfectly tuned).

I didn't hear it, truly. I don't know where that came from. But as I said in the Atlanta thread, the Brass execution judge is closer to the action than we are. I wouldn't presume to argue, even though brass is my long suit, compared to percussion, guard, visual, etc.

And I seriously think that the guard will not be an issue next summer. At least I hope so. The current small guard is working it out there, and with a proper year of recruitment things should be settled.

I truly hope you're right. They need more. Having good visual design is an important step.