Temper Tantrum

No, of course I meant next summer. This has been a multi-year issue for Troop and it has to be solved if you want to move higher. 12? guard isn't going to make semis.

Don't shoot the messenger, who may be more neutral than you. Make an effort to evaluate the message on its merits. You have the visual design elements now, but you need guard numbers + quality = moving up.

I had a chance to talk with people connected with the corps this week; and I brought this up.

Here is what I found out:

The guard problem was addressed with a change of instuctors in April...there had been no recruiting...NONE...by the previous guard staff; and the new staff had to literally miracle up all the members it now has from April on. They had an almost impossible task; and they did as well as could possibly be hoped for. The quality is there; it was just tough to start from scratch in April to build a large guard from scratch. They are planning to change recruitment to an aggressive all-year style similar to what has created the results in the horns and percussion. This will fix this problem, once and for all.

Edited by prodigal bari

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Typically I am one, when emotional, to give it a period of time to cool off before I write. Inevitably I have learned over the many years of my life that I usually regret it when I speak in this state of mind. This may be one of those times. Read on and we shall find out...

I try to be as objective as possible when looking at scores and I sincerely attempt to let my biases not weigh to heavily on my opinions. However, after the scores were announced for this morning's session in Atlanta my dentures fell out of my mouth and into my soup! While I would like to think of a thoughtful way to express my feelings there is no better way than to just say it...

The Troopers are getting screwed!

I am not trying to show scorn to the corps that placed higher than them today, but am I the only one that thinks the Troopers' show should be beating the Academy and Pacific Crest...and yes...even Spirit? Are my cataracts causing me to be blinded by my own love for the Troopers?

Let's face it--for years the Troop struggled to produce a show that could score...we all know that. There were many years we even felt a little sorry for them. We wanted them to succeed but they were only able to field a pint size corps with a mediocre show design. At times it was almost hard to believe that they were once the powerhouse of drum corps. Time had taken it's toll.

Then, alas, the legend was reborn last year as they fielded a full corps with a show that was competitive. It was clear they meant business and this new look brought them up to the new standards of what it takes to move up. (I have my own thoughts about last year and the scores they received, but that's water under the bridge)

This year they bring out one of the most entertaining shows of the year--one where you can actually feel yourself tapping your foot and getting excited. A show that the kids sell and perform and one where the crowd is genuinely entertained. Sheesh...there's even a melody in it. But, they are regularly slotted to go on first or second--which we all know effects their score--and then they have to endure this!

It is my contention that their show is cleaner than at least two, if not three, of the corps ahead of them. It really is the complete package, and yet here we go again and Granny is just a wee bit upset.

Don't bother trying to settle me down. I'm going to pop a nitro glycerin tablet under my tongue so I can manage to stay alive to see if the judges get it right in the next two weeks.

I have so fallen in love with you!!! Will you marry me Granny????

Look, I'm not going to get into a "we're getting screwed" funk because one show isn't the end of the world. We had a bad draw and things are tight. It happens. Playing the "poor us" card isn't healthy.

The problem I have with Troop being in 18th is that WE WERE IN 18TH (factoring in inactive corps) LAST YEAR! This year's corps/show/design/etc. is SO much better than last summer. It's such a leap ahead that to end up in the same spot with this corps is a slap in the face.

I'm sick of "Wait for next year." I want some #### satisfaction now, and I didn't get it today.

Welcome to the world of the Madison Scouts and Boston Crusaders :laughing:

Welcome to the world of the Madison Scouts and Boston Crusaders :laughing:

The difference is that both Madison and Boston are going to be on the theater broadcast and the Friday web stream. There are three corps that get NO live coverage at all from DCI during Finals Week and that's World Class 18-20. Madison and Boston get to go on when there are a lot of fans in the stands Finals Week.

And Madison is going up in placement, even if they don't make Finals. Heck, every corps that is obviously better/worse than last year has moved appropriately. If this one score becomes a trend, Troop will be the one corps that isn't rewarded.

We're just annoyed right now.

Edited by Pinwiz

I have so fallen in love with you!!! Will you marry me Granny????

This may sound like I'm tootin' my own horn, but I am one hot old lady who just so happens to be a drum corps fanatic. I also happen to have a lot of vim and vigor left in me--so much so, that I have a standing account on SinglesNet.

Having "set the table", so to speak, let me say that like so many of the dark love stories of our time, my answer may hinge on whether or not your are willing to do an unsavory deed. Let's just say that there are some who like to wear green shirts that I'm not too happy with at the present time...if you know what I'm sayin'.

Getting the Troopers into semis may require that I have to give up my crazy ways and settle down in holy matrimony. But, of course, that's totally of to you Perry my boy.

The Troopers are getting screwed!

This year they bring out one of the most entertaining shows of the year--one where you can actually feel yourself tapping your foot and getting excited. A show that the kids sell and perform and one where the crowd is genuinely entertained. Sheesh...there's even a melody in it. But, they are regularly slotted to go on first or second--which we all know effects their score--and then they have to endure this!

Entertaining, recognizable, toe-tapping show??? Well there's their problem right there! Got to get themselves one or two of those creative genuis wannabes to give them a show concept understandable only to fellow creative genius wannabes or creative genuis wannabe bootlickers....

K Daddy,

What does BISP mean?

The Trooper guard performed as well or better than every guard in our block today.

The score was too low. Troop should be either beating Spirit or on their heels.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..you got that 1 right....everyone should be beating Spirits guard and visual program..thank GOD they have a good drum line and Brass..........Although after viewing the re-caps seems like the visual judges threw them a bone HMMMMMMMMMMMM wonder why?

I sincerely felt optimistic that the judges would get it right this afternoon.

I think they did get it right. I think Academy vs. Troop could have gone either way, but Pacific Crest was a significant step up IMO, and Spirit was another significant step up from PC. I'm not one to break down every sub caption. I like what I like and I found the Pacific Crest show to be the most entertaining of any corps in the 11-20 group. Spirit's rockin percussion is going to make it very difficult for anyone behind them to catch them.

Troopers were solid and have a great show, but screwed? I don't think so.

This may sound like I'm tootin' my own horn, but I am one hot old lady who just so happens to be a drum corps fanatic. I also happen to have a lot of vim and vigor left in me--so much so, that I have a standing account on SinglesNet.

Having "set the table", so to speak, let me say that like so many of the dark love stories of our time, my answer may hinge on whether or not your are willing to do an unsavory deed. Let's just say that there are some who like to wear green shirts that I'm not too happy with at the present time...if you know what I'm sayin'.

Getting the Troopers into semis may require that I have to give up my crazy ways and settle down in holy matrimony. But, of course, that's totally of to you Perry my boy.

:laughing: Yes My Queen :thumbup:

I had a chance to talk with people connected with the corps this week; and I brought this up.

Here is what I found out:

The guard problem was addressed with a change of instuctors in April...there had been no recruiting...NONE...by the previous guard staff; and the new staff had to literally miracle up all the members it now has from April on. They had an almost impossible task; and they did as well as could possibly be hoped for. The quality is there; it was just tough to start from scratch in April to build a large guard from scratch. They are planning to change recruitment to an aggressive all-year style similar to what has created the results in the horns and percussion. This will fix this problem, once and for all.

The plan for the future is great news. It has worked well in horns and percussion and should yield good results.