Missed camera shots....

Ok...in the history of the various corps'broadcasts there have been some great shots....Star's cross-to-cross, Garfield's Z-pull, the Diamond Cutter, etc...

But there are ALSO a lot of shots that were missed....the may have been corrected on the DVDs, but not the initial broadcast.

Some that chap my hide:

83 BD.....the accleerando in the snare line during "Paradox" (left handed singles, speeding up and the rught coming down....you can't really tell WHEN, they were so good)

84 Garfield....here comes the sudden company front....it's forming....almost there...NO!! THEY CUT TO THE PIT!!!

91 Star...TOTALLY missed their own even MORE out of the blue front

01 Cavies...the last mode in Four Corners....I DON'T need to see a single guard guy running across the field....I wanna see the drill!!!

05 Cadets...the drill during the tenor feature....some sick, SICK stuff going on, and the part that best used the reversed uniforms.

Fortunately, that site-that-much-not-be-named has some clips of these moves....typically from prelims...so at least I know what I missed, but jeez....

1994, Blue Devils snare line has a couple of measures of "monkey drumming" ... the cameras were on the snare line until the first note and then the camera cut away ...

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I regret that I'm not some famous DCI TV institution that everyone knows as the guy in the XX PR show. But I only did one year, and, like, EVERY SINGLE shot that was about to have me was cut to that wide angle that you're all mentioning. Oops.

Exactly the opposite effect..."Oh...oh...here I come, here I come, I'm the next guy in the line and...wait--NOOOOOO!!!"

Seriously. Did the lift with Nikki (RIP)...COG no less! No camera shot. I think Tim got that one about 8 feet away. I mean, I'm like 8 friggin feet tall...PERFECT for such a move, and no love.

I'm point man in this rotating block at the front of the field at one point...I mean, THE guy. If I'm off the whole formation is off cuz everyone guides to me. Wide angle.

Then there's jazz running around the far side of the pit when they had the pit on the field. I'm lead sled dog in that little move. And I was a good jazz runner in an era when that was still new to the hornline! Camera guys are covering some guard thing or some such. Gawd, that guard was hot. And I didn't get one single second of close-up screen time.

Not...one. Anonymity. Hmph.

1994, Blue Devils snare line has a couple of measures of "monkey drumming" ... the cameras were on the snare line until the first note and then the camera cut away ...

Maybe that was a good thing. Even so, every line has copied the 'visual' ever since anyway.

Regards,

John

That particular move can be seen on"The site that shall remain nameless". It's of prelims and it's high cam and it was AWESOME.

Thanks for the heads up! It's been a LOOOONG time since I have seen that the way it should have been shown.

I regret that I'm not some famous DCI TV institution that everyone knows as the guy in the XX PR show. But I only did one year, and, like, EVERY SINGLE shot that was about to have me was cut to that wide angle that you're all mentioning. Oops.

Exactly the opposite effect..."Oh...oh...here I come, here I come, I'm the next guy in the line and...wait--NOOOOOO!!!"

Seriously. Did the lift with Nikki (RIP)...COG no less! No camera shot. I think Tim got that one about 8 feet away. I mean, I'm like 8 friggin feet tall...PERFECT for such a move, and no love.

I'm point man in this rotating block at the front of the field at one point...I mean, THE guy. If I'm off the whole formation is off cuz everyone guides to me. Wide angle.

Then there's jazz running around the far side of the pit when they had the pit on the field. I'm lead sled dog in that little move. And I was a good jazz runner in an era when that was still new to the hornline! Camera guys are covering some guard thing or some such. Gawd, that guard was hot. And I didn't get one single second of close-up screen time.

Not...one. Anonymity. Hmph.

Salt on the wound... :thumbup: (I finally got one that year--made up for not including me in the shot of the up front soli section in Hymn to Peace in 92!))

Capture-2.jpg

Oh, yeah: When they had to show the freakin' closeups of characters and props all throughout Santa Clara's '87 show . . . totally missing the drum line coming out from under the red thingamajig in "Russian Christmas Music." We didn't get a full view of the corps until . . . well, until pretty much the entire corps was spread out on the field. Illusion completely missed! :thumbup:

Edited by byline

I don't remember all the bad shots, but one irritating shot we did get was a certain Blue Devil pit member who was on the camera lens for at least four minutes of the show. I think the cameraman was his dad or something. I guess the other 130 or so performers didn't count.

Oh, yeah: When they had to show the freakin' closeups of characters and props all throughout Santa Clara's '87 show . . . totally missing the drum line coming out from under the red thingamajig in "Russian Christmas Music." We didn't get a full view of the corps until . . . well, until pretty much the entire corps was spread out on the field. Illusion completely missed! :tongue:

Yep.....it wasn't until I asked Jeff Pearson years later that I found the 2nd loud cheer in Great Gate was a 2nd guard person appearing (who later ended up his wife!)

I don't remember all the bad shots, but one irritating shot we did get was a certain Blue Devil pit member who was on the camera lens for at least four minutes of the show. I think the cameraman was his dad or something. I guess the other 130 or so performers didn't count.

Was that in 83 or 84 by any chance? Jeff Voorhees DID get a LOT of face time.

I just found anogther irritating one....03 Regiment...after gthe wedge rotates in teh Sanctus re-statement (one of the most GLORIOUS moments of the year, IMO), you have a double line of mellos swinging back through the wedge....and you only get a part of it because they go to the guard,who aren't doing anything to warrant the camera shot, frankly....the flags aren't even unfurled at that point.

At least they got MOST of the drum wegde going through the horn block earlier in the show....THAT was a cool vizh

Salt on the wound... :tongue: (I finally got one that year--made up for not including me in the shot of the up front soli section in Hymn to Peace in 92!))

Capture-2.jpg

Oh...oh...that's me right over >>----------------------------------------->> THERE!! Wait...NOOOOOOO!!!

Don't feel bad--that must have been 93. That pit member was standing right next to Scott in all of his solos...really lucky scoring for THAT pit member!