Finals Week Predictions

I would have to say that the judges have to make a judgement call. When half of the show you aren't playing the lead, you are just playing back-up chords for the narrator, how can you give them the same weight of difficulty of a corps whose players lead the whole show, and don't play back-up for a narrator?

A twist on your question: How do the judges make a call when 80%-90% of a corps's brass book is sustained chords, unison short motives with no phrase length or development, unison harmonized rhythms, and sound effects? even without narration?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say that the judges have to make a judgement call. When half of the show you aren't playing the lead, you are just playing back-up chords for the narrator, how can you give them the same weight of difficulty of a corps whose players lead the whole show, and don't play back-up for a narrator?

A twist on your question: How do the judges make a call when 80%-90% of a corps's brass book is sustained chords, unison short motives with no phrase length or development, unison harmonized rhythms, and sound effects? even without narration?

FINALS:

1. Phantom Regiment (98.625)

2. The Blue Devils (98.475)

2. The Cavaliers (98.475)

4. Carolina Crown (97.625)

5. The Cadets (97.0)

6. The Santa Clara Vangaurd (96.125)

7. The Blue Coats (96.0)

There is NO way three corps are going to score above 98, five above 97 and six above 96.

I don't even think the winner is going to score above 98. Best bet IMO:

Cavies, BD, PR all between 97 and 98

Crown about a 95

BD and Bluecoats from 92-93

There is NO way three corps are going to score above 98, five above 97 and six above 96.

I don't even think the winner is going to score above 98. Best bet IMO:

Cavies, BD, PR all between 97 and 98

Crown about a 95

BD and Bluecoats from 92-93

HAHA... no way. You need to check scoring trends at Nats for the last 20 years and think again.

HAHA... no way. You need to check scoring trends at Nats for the last 20 years and think again.

Really? I'm the one who needs to check? Think again, think again.

We have never had more than two corps score above 98, and 1989 was the only year in which more than one corps scored above 98. And, I think everyone can agree the 1989 scores were highly inflated (top to bottom). There's no way in hell Bluecoats or SCV are going to score above 94, and I wouldn't bet on either of them scoring much above 93. Furthermore, no 4th place corps has ever broken 97, and as of late there haven't been many 3rd place corps that have done so. In fact, the only 4th place corps to break 96 was Garfield in 1988 (96.1).

If you look at scoring trends going into finals, scores usually drop for corps outside the top 3. So I would expect Crown to be mid 95 range, Cadets 94, Bluecoats in the 93.0-93.9 range and SCV 92.0 to 92.9. It's a three way race between Phantom, Cavies and BD - those three will widen the gap on Crown and below come finals - just watch.

Edited by gellio

What are you talking about? There is no way you compare the Cadets show to anyone elses in DCI. They have the easiest brass book in all of DCI, because they don't play half of the show (or play minor chords as a back drop to all the narration). Just because other corp's hold out chords, doesn't mean you can liken their musical book to let's say, BD. BD's brass show is 100 times more difficult.

Yeah, I could see 5 corps scoring over a 96 (The Cadets are only about 2 points from that right now, and seeded 5th), but from SCV back, I don't see that happening.

Yeah, I could see 5 corps scoring over a 96, but from SCV back, I don't see that happening.

Sorry, I can't. Possibly Crown (I hope so). I'd love to see Crown or Phantom win it all this year. It's exciting, but SCV and Bluecoats are easily 4-5 points down from this years big 4, and it should remain that way through the end of the season, unless SCV can somehow clean that crazy drill up.

Sorry, I can't. Possibly Crown (I hope so). I'd love to see Crown or Phantom win it all this year. It's exciting, but SCV and Bluecoats are easily 4-5 points down from this years big 4, and it should remain that way through the end of the season, unless SCV can somehow clean that crazy drill up.

You don't think the Cadets can add 2 points onto their score between their last competition and finals? From SCV back (6th and below right now), I don't see it happening. And Crown's already scored a 95+ a couple of times, so I don't think you'll need to "hope" for them to break 96 by finals.