Instrumentation Question ?

I just saw the Cavaliers for the first time "Live" this summer in A-Town and have a question regarding instrumentation. Several times in the Cavies show, one of the pit members (Trap player?) plays a long "Chinese Flute" sounding instrument. Is this really allowed ?? Am I the only one who is a tad shocked by this ? Don't get me wrong....its sounds awesome and it is almost required in a show like their's but it seems to be a complete rule breaker to me :smile:

Brass, perc and human voice only folks.......for now

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just saw the Cavaliers for the first time "Live" this summer in A-Town and have a question regarding instrumentation. Several times in the Cavies show, one of the pit members (Trap player?) plays a long "Chinese Flute" sounding instrument. Is this really allowed ?? Am I the only one who is a tad shocked by this ? Don't get me wrong....its sounds awesome and it is almost required in a show like their's but it seems to be a complete rule breaker to me :cool:

Brass, perc and human voice only folks.......for now

I wondered the exact same thing but was too worried about being flamed for asking. Thanks for being braver than I am. :smile:

As mentioned earlier in a couple of threads, of which I have responded. The instrument is a slide whistle, which is a PERCUSSION Instrument. There are no holes drilled into it either......that would make definite pitches, which would make it a woodwind. All the performer is doing is over blowing the slide whistle to get the jumps in pitch. Try taking a regular gym whistle and over blowing it. You will get the same result. The performer also uses flutter toungue to do the more "woodwind characteristics", but it is not a flute. I know this because I toured with them for three weeks this year. I actually checked out the instrument myself. :smile:

Where do you get your information? You use air to play it...it is a WIND instrument. It's allowed, I'm assuming, because its more of an effect instrument rather than a standard woodwind instrument with keys, holes, etc.

Maybe its a percussion instrument because they use 2 people to play it. One guy puts it in his mouth and another guy smacks him musically in the gut to get air to move through it. They get the overtones by over-beating the first guy. Seems perfectly legal to me.

Where do you get your information? You use air to play it...it is a WIND instrument. It's allowed, I'm assuming, because its more of an effect instrument rather than a standard woodwind instrument with keys, holes, etc.

Where do you get yours? I am a percussionist with a masters degree. What more do you want to know. It is considered a percussion instrument, even if it is considered an effect instrument....end of story.

What more do you want to know. It is considered a percussion instrument, even if it is considered an effect instrument....end of story.

That's some flawed ### logic right there

Where do you get yours? I am a percussionist with a masters degree. What more do you want to know. It is considered a percussion instrument, even if it is considered an effect instrument....end of story.

Unfortunately you're a percussionist with a masters degree that was never taught how to classify instruments. It is a WHISTLE, which is a WIND instrument. It is often played by percussionists as an effect which is why its allowed in drum corps. However, it is, always has been, and always will be a wind instrument.

a slide whistle is indeed technically a percussion instrument. same with samba whistles and things like that, that have been used for a while in dci.