Instrumentation Question ?

Hey guys ...

Nothing but respect for those who can incorporate something "flute like" in their show.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you get yours? I am a percussionist with a masters degree. What more do you want to know. It is considered a percussion instrument, even if it is considered an effect instrument....end of story.

Can you give us your definition of "percussion instrument"? I'd REALLY like to know.

I haven't seen Cavaliers' show, so I don't know how they used the slide whistle. Can someone say exactly how they used it? Did it play a melody of any kind? Did they use it to play something that fit within the TONAL context that was present at the time? You don't ever hear a slide whistle used that way, although it certainly is possible.

Gotch-ya :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You guys are ridiculous and are so ready to pounce and flame away on just about anyone that comes in here. It is truly amazing.

I know that a slide whistle is not percussive.....it's a sound effect instrument, but I through the bait and all of you took it. However, none of you substantiated your answers, but rather made fun of my fictictional one provided earlier. Anyway, you will find the slide whistle mostly used in the percussion section, since everyone else is blowing on something else.

Anyway to the person who wanted to know what my masters was in.....It is wind conducting from Western Illinois University. Studied under Dr. John Dugle and Michael Fansler. In addition, I also studied with Ray Kramer and Dr. Lowell Graham. Any more questions? Would you like a copy of my degree? Or better yet, would you like a copy of my curriculum vitae or resume, which ever you want?

I haven't seen Cavaliers' show, so I don't know how they used the slide whistle. Can someone say exactly how they used it? Did it play a melody of any kind? Did they use it to play something that fit within the TONAL context that was present at the time? You don't ever hear a slide whistle used that way, although it certainly is possible.

The slide on the whistle is fixed. The performer simply blows into it, using skills like you would on an instrument; i.e. the harder you blow, you can effect pitch. This is what the performer does. Along with over blowing to achieve the pitch jumps, the performer is using a flutter toungue technique for more effect. If you listen, there are long and short articulations throughout the show. It is about the closest thing they can get to a real Japanese flute without breaking the rules.

Gotch-ya :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You guys are ridiculous and are so ready to pounce and flame away on just about anyone that comes in here. It is truly amazing.

You more than brought the flames down on yourself with some of your previous posts in this thread.

You more than brought the flames down on yourself with some of your previous posts in this thread.

Right.....I did it on purpose....fully aware. Thanks for my reality check. I could care less who flames away. I just was curious to see how long it would take to get flamed.

I know that a slide whistle is not percussive.....it's a sound effect instrument, but I through the bait and all of you took it. However, none of you substantiated your answers, but rather made fun of my fictictional one provided earlier. Anyway, you will find the slide whistle mostly used in the percussion section, since everyone else is blowing on something else.

Anyway to the person who wanted to know what my masters was in.....It is wind conducting from Western Illinois University. Studied under Dr. John Dugle and Michael Fansler. In addition, I also studied with Ray Kramer and Dr. Lowell Graham. Any more questions? Would you like a copy of my degree? Or better yet, would you like a copy of my curriculum vitae or resume, which ever you want?

Me thinks you have brought dishonor to that institution by this. A true leatherneck you are not.

Yes, we all know how smart you are now.

we used a bird chirping sound effect whistle during "Poet & Peasant Overture" in the Guardsmen...

... in 1978.