Instrumentation Question ?

Well, I don't got me one of them there fancy masters thingymabobs and I don't know all that much about that there book learnin' stuff... but at least I know the difference between "threw" and "through."

:thumbup:

Edited by skajerk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotch-ya :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: You guys are ridiculous and are so ready to pounce and flame away on just about anyone that comes in here. It is truly amazing.

I know that a slide whistle is not percussive.....it's a sound effect instrument, but I through the bait and all of you took it. However, none of you substantiated your answers, but rather made fun of my fictictional one provided earlier. Anyway, you will find the slide whistle mostly used in the percussion section, since everyone else is blowing on something else.

Anyway to the person who wanted to know what my masters was in.....It is wind conducting from Western Illinois University. Studied under Dr. John Dugle and Michael Fansler. In addition, I also studied with Ray Kramer and Dr. Lowell Graham. Any more questions? Would you like a copy of my degree? Or better yet, would you like a copy of my curriculum vitae or resume, which ever you want?

Did Dr. John Dugle, Michael Fansler, Ray Kramer, Dr. Lowell (who really cares who these people are), teach you how to spell the word "fictictional"?

For a percussionist it was pretty close.

(the first person that takes that comment seriously needs help)

Edited by Musical_Spinner

Calling a slide whistle a percussion instrument is kind of like saying a bell pepper is a vegetable. Everyone associates it with vegetables but it technically is a fruit (it has seeds). Any whistle technically is a wind instrument. I think DCI's rule simply allows instruments that are commonly found in the percussion section of a band/orchestra. But then I may ask... why aren't pianos allowed?

They are allowed. However, don't you think they'd be a little too bulky to move day after day and a pain in the ### to keep in tune?

"0mgz!!11 hE blew in2 it! its a wind instrument!!111"

now classify the bowing of vibes as a string instrument?

The whistle doesnt even produce a definitaly named pitch. (Bb...? no)

"0mgz!!11 hE blew in2 it! its a wind instrument!!111"

now classify the bowing of vibes as a string instrument?

The whistle doesnt even produce a definitaly named pitch. (Bb...? no)

That's a shaky argument at best. A slide whistle is an instrument in and of itself...using a string bow to create an effect on a percussion instrument is simply a playing technique.

And if we're getting really technical here, yes, a whistle does produce definable pitches although it is not made to do so accurately.

Edited by mixolydian