DCI Allentown 2008 Review, both shows combined

My first lengthy post. Contributed a short post on the "credit-tick" thread. It was thrilling to say the least.

I have read DCP for a while now. I occasionally wanted to post something, but never got around to joining.

I have always wanted to post reviews of shows I attended, knowing what it like to sit at home, missing a show you wanted to attend badly but could not for what ever reason. The Fan Network is a stroke of genius, however, while tying many of us over between live viewings, as with sports, it isn't the same as being there.

I have also been apprehensive of wanting to post my reviews/opinions due to the fact that it seems one should only state the positives, or often be subject to ridicule for having an opinion that differs from someone else's. I can have thick skin, so my feelings were not the issue. I hesitated due to the fact that I did not want to contribute to any backbiting, etc. that could deter from the positives of DCI and this great service provided by DCP.

Obviously I have decided to post my opinions and hopefully give some personal impressions that can not be perceived on video.

Here goes.

Pioneer: What a good drum corps from the land of cheese and cows (and the place where I want to know what the hell Bret Favre is smoking. A legend yes, amazing ...yes, but geese! (rhymes with cheese)). This is the best I have seen this group. Speaking of cheese, they are often described as being too cheesy or too old school with the Irish themes. Well me Lasses and Laddies, this wasn't your typical production from this Wisconsin corps. The arrangements, drill, etc. are all a move toward a more "today", up-to-date offering. As they entered the field, I was already thinking that 20th place/last place isn't what it was five years ago, of course, neither is seventh place. They had a good air of confidence about them and they entertained the crowd well (the toughest crowd in DCI in my opinion). Yes, they are dirty and have issues, but they are better than the past several years and are great examples of the raised level of quality in the activity.

Mandarins: After reading positive stuff about these guys and gals from the surfer state, I was eager to catch the show. They did not disappoint. This group is one of those that probably do not come across as well on video. Like Pioneer, they are dirty, but they pack several versions of zing throughout their performance that keep you paying attention. Several brass impacts were healthy as an olympic wrestler and the drum line carried an ora of confidence that almost scared me when they charged the front of the field on several occasions ( I think several grandmothers on the front row actually required oxygen and assurance that it was just part of the show). The guard also offers some great stuff. Also an improving corps over past seasons.

Academy: OK. This one is hard because I find their circumstances as slightly heartbreaking. I am sure they do not want any one to throw them a pity party, but we have seen this scenario before, and it is as tough as admitting you live in the greatest country in the world, but are lead by a President that actually greeted the Italian Prime Minister with "Buenos Dies!" and shouted out to him, "Amigo! Amigo!". What is the scenario we have seen before? A new corps comes onto the scene blazing a trail toward star status (Not Star, well OK....maybe Star, but not quite, hmmm....you know what I mean) and find themselves regrouping to decide exactly what happened when the first "slip" occurs. Got the talent for sure. The show, put simply...awkward. Biggest impacts compared to six or seven other groups, most difficult brass book maybe of the evening, some real coordinated moments, and lots of ????????? It as if the show was designed by someone who does not have a lot of experience in the marching arts. A lot to be proud of in their short time. I am looking forward to next year's showing. Make sure we are providing some water in the Arizona desert for this young sapling that has simply wilted a little bit. Won't take much to do the trick.

Pacific Crest: Besides providing waves for the surfers, what is there in the water in California that is producing all these quality units? Ahh Ha! Since dropping from the competitive body building circuit and becoming Governor, I bet Schwarzenegger has been slowly putting all of his unused steroids in the water system, hoping to create a state of super beings. As far as drum corps is concerned, it is working. Crest put on a great show and if Mandarins provided zing, PC provided zing with some zang and a little zoom. Though also dirty in all areas, this performance was the most confident of the evening thus far. Several brass hits rattled my teeth and vibrated the seats, a little unexpected personal offering I guess, more please. The group is large and very good. I could not help but wonder if their early season schedule keeps them from cleaning more? If doing a full tour would deter members from joining because they like the current format, then of course the corps should keep on keppin' on. It is a quality product with lots of students doing themselves and California proud. This group to me is a great example that winning is not everything: an attitude that I sometimes think has lead to the dramatic drop in the number of units. Keep drinking the tap water!

Troopers: I agree with other posters, they were impressive and are the first corps that has that aura of competitive prowess that gives a special energy to the evening. With this group and the rest of the corps, I will be a little more detailed about specific show elements. I must first point out the whole drum major thing. What a great drum corps icon that I am thankful the corps is keeping alive, and I am sure that our friends that came in from Fire Island and Providence have a few more recreation ideas as they head back for their remaining weeks of summer vacation... love those guys. (No offense meant at all. My friends from P Town thought it was funny). The train theme is well done though I found the "Ghost Train" music a little too dark for me. A few body and drill moves seem too similar at times. The horn line made some really great sounds with some super attention to fundamentals of brass playing. More depth of player in future years could bring some real attention to this faction of the Troopers. The guard confident and put their energy well into the audience during this performance. 16th place seems a lock for them. Thanks Troop. Everybody bring a friend that spins to auditions next year!

Spirit: Though I have no control over scoring, I do have some philosophies of scoring that I feel strongly about and will enjoys sharing all eighty-seven ideas with you now. Just kidding. As the season comes to a close each year, the ordinals start to level out in all captions for a single corps: these numbers usually represent the corps final placement and

rarely vary more than one number away from the corps final placement. After seeing/hearing Spirit, I was confident with my perception that though the show has similar problems to that of Academy's (direction, flow, ?????), there were several aspects of the performance that are really good and I tough held up well compared to the next six or even seven corps. Music ensemble, brass, and PERCUSSION were quite good. When looking at the recaps, it seems evident to me that the ordinal leveling things has started in full force with this group. A single judge is apprehensive of popping a number at this point because he or she can cause a corps to fall in or out of finals based on their number alone, so better to keep the number near the current placement. I could be wrong, but I have watched this happen for years. It is assuredly discouraging for those certain aspects/sections of a corps that deserve the recognition. I do agree on the overall placement due to design issues. I also want to point out the color guard. They seem to have a lot of skill and I really liked the writing, but you have to work too hard to notice them. Good arrangements and some good volume tonight.

Colts: Interesting name for a corps huh. I have not done any research to find out why the corps is named after a small horse, but I am sure someone will respond with an answer, certainly if they are not named after a small horse but something else like an actor from the 50s that appeared in a few spaghetti westerns and then eventually became Liberachi's gardner. Anyway, I thought they performed extremely well and were cleaner than a few corps above them. A throw back to the mid 80s, the performance levels of this show offers more than the design. When I say mid 80s, I mean a really solid, six or seventh place show from the mid 80s. I sometimes agree with other posters and long for some "old-time" drum corps offerings, but Colt's show reminds me that my emotional memory enjoys some older shows more than does my 2008 eyes, ears, and brain. I think cleaning is still in order, but unfortunately, a really clean show in Bloomington may still not offer enough to make finals. Thanks for the hum-able tunes and long phrases. Still dig the new look. If the reports are true that this is a young corps due to a large % of age-outs, a great return rate and more creative show design could mean a solid finals corps.

I think some quality things are stronger than last year: ensemble music, brass arrangements, percussion writing.

Scouts: OK, if the two remaining all-male drum corps were gangs, the scrappy Scouts would win a fight between the two. If the two corps were this year's Democratic candidates, Scouts would be hellian Hilary and Cavies would be jedi Obama. If the two corps were alternative rock bands, Scout's following would have criminal records and Cavies fans would tuck their shirts in and sometimes attend a cover band concert. If the two corps had equal numbers, talent, and the same show, I would probably prefer Scouts. While some say they completely lost their swagger and are slowly getting it back, I do not agree. I always got the swagger from the members, but not always the shows. 2003, a rebuilding year, very entertaining, with swagger. 2004, some swagger (second half), but otherwise a misguided show. 2005, defininate swagger with a great show (ending was a shame). 2006, too exhausted from sprinting to show much swagger in the show, though I got it when they marched in the stadium. 2006 too esoteric though VERY talented...when I listen to the 06 show the talent of the drums and especially the horn line seems crazy good, they just didn't have a chance with that show. I digress, great first half of the 2008 show, good second half, pretty equal music talent, guard with some good moments, but more are needed for finals. A definite shot at finals. 13th place would be no reason for shame though missing finals by one spot. Things seem to be well on their way for the corps to get back to top twelve. Sorry, I must add something...I am tired of the Scouts alumni I always seem to have sitting around me. Please, no matter what year, what director, what show, as long as they are called the Scouts, the current members are THE SCOUTS. Supporting young performers is the right thing to do no matter what your personal taste. (Sorry, had to go there. I am sure there are MANY AWESOME alumni that get the whole "its about the kids that are in the corps right now" thing, they just never seem to sit by me at shows.)

Our current top twelve...though things can change.

12, Crossmen: I am a big fan of this show. After this performance, it seems the staff did their homework and created really good depth with most all aspects of the show. My only complaint with show design is that the music is too convoluted from the original source material and seems to beg for more delivery of what the music teases to deliver, but never does. Performance wise, some obvious drill cleaning is needed, but not as much as we sometimes expect from a corps in this position. There are also some balance issues between drums and horns at the softer dynamic levels. Every section of the corps contributes equally and all are stepping up to the plate on a very solid level. The guard seems to be the most advanced section at this point. The crowd was very receptive (Angry/negative Scouts alumni take notice). The crowd obviously was full of East Coast Crossmen alumni and fans. Though the corps has changed their style from what many associate with their most recent success, and they moved to the Republic of Texas (great state, by the way), and they have altered the uniform considerably, and they have a new director, etc., the audience seemed not only pleased with the strong performance, but also by their strong shot at finals, their commitment to modern show design, and their rate of improvement. I understand the somewhat reserved brass sound; they seem to be balancing quality with volume. It would be great if they could add some more punch for championships. I wish several hits were longer and resolved to major chords or unisons a cliche as that may seem (more often than not, it just seems to work for GE). I would have actually had them a few places higher due to how well most aspects of the show are put together, with other aspects being what I considered equal. Since I am thinking about it, if Texas ever did succeed from the union and form their own country (as Texans often state they should), Crossmen would aid the "International" in DCI. Yee Haww!

11, Blue Knights: Some one has asked of they are insane for this year's show. Maybe so, but crazy can be fun, entertaining, intriguing, creative, or at least different. Could be the thin Colorado air affecting brain waves during show planning meetings????? (kidding, I like the show...oooohhh...does that mean I might be insane...I'll ask my friends Vincent Van Gogh and Napoleon Bonaparte, see what they think. ) At various points throughout the performance I got all of these variations of "insanity". I must admit, before writing this review, I watched the video of Allentown to help me get a grasp on how to sum up this show. The brass played extremely well, with some moments of tuning issues, specifically on some pretty complex chords. I also wish some hits were longer and a little more well-paced. Tonguing, balance, blend, musicality, dynamic contrast, and tone were well handled. The percussion were solid, but need more show-casing and closer staging at times. The guard is good, but I am ready for a different color palate from them, uniform and silks. The guard communicates very well and provided several great visual ensemble statements with and without equipment. The drill is unlike any other corps and I think it works very well most of the show. The moments where the drill seemed to stall were also the places where I thought the music also dragged. The "Amazing Grace" stuff does seem like a stretch and I think unnecessary. This show does take several viewings to completely appreciate for what it is. The body contributions from the brass , though needs quite a bit of cleaning before Bloomington, impressive and difficult. Is the show easy to access? No, but I did not find it as hard to like as some have inferred. For 2009, maybe some show designing in Denver, but one or two show design meetings thrown in at lower altitudes may up the accessibility factor. I thought they would place a spot or two higher.

10, Crusaders: Also with a large contention of alumni and fans in the audience, the corps had a crowd eager to respond. I felt that the second half did so much better than the first half. The intro just seemed to not click visually or musically. The running horn line pass-through in the intro was pretty rough in Allentown. The show theme did not seem as obvious through out the performance as it could be to keep us interested. Though the color guard adds the head dresses toward the end, I assume they are meant to be some interpretation of the show theme, but it does not work for me. The visual design is really solid, but I wish the guard writing was more musical. I also am not a fan of what I think of cheap tricks that come across almost as desperation for attention; the chunk the rifle across big distances thing seems, pardon the expression, dumbed down. The guard lift through the front also seems forced and random. The drum line was good, but had a few timing issues toward the end of the show that came across more as freak accidents instead of phrases that have not been cleaned yet. Loved the audience reaction to the "Conquest" tag, but it did seem a bit forced. The show overall seems more solid than others in the same scoring range, but with some moments that do not seem to really fit. Good horn line, though they drop almost all phrases and ends of notes need a lot of attention.

9, Glassmen: Thanks for aiming to design an accessible/entertaining show. This is the loudest their horn line has been in a long while and the color guard is the opitome of showmen/show-women. Great colors and flag designs. The front line was really great and added a lot to the music GE. I was angered by a young man behind me that yelled "Go Lastmen". Many of us turned around to see this villian. I thought, "Wow, just gonna slam them right out in the open." I contemplated say something to him but I am glad I didn't. After later hearing him yell "Go Zanta Clara" and "Go Cladets", I realized he suffers from lazy tongue syndrome mixed with a severe lateral lisp (true story). This corps had really strong showmanship in Allentown, selling their production through sheer energy and a really effective guard that never quits. With that, I find it interesting that BK and them seem to be jockeying for the higher placement right now. Why interesting? I find one show full of interest and intrigue, depth of visual design and some real quality on multiple levels of risk for all sections of the corps (Blue Knights). The other show (Glassmen), I find to be instantly accessible and designed based on the concept of what you see the first time is what you get. Someone else in an earlier review stated that Glassmen was their little boy's favorite (NOT a bad thing at all). This seems to be indicative of a few things however. This show is probably one that I feel appeals to the largest majority of the many different preferences of a large drum corps audience. With the faction of the audience that wants complete high-level intrigue and construction, the show may fade pretty quickly. While I really enjoyed it for what it is meant to be ( I am assuming, sorry), I do not think a second viewing would produce a higher level of appreciation on my part. They certainly have some cleaning to do that will elevate the performance scores. Regarding the horn line, while their loudest in my memory, they seem to be sacrificing quality, especially pitch and tone. Tuning, balance, blend, and tone did not seem on the brass line's agenda in Allentown. It is a difficult stadium to fill up with sound or energy, so if that was the main charge of the horn line for the evening, they stepped up to the challenge quite well. With the concept of the "what and how" and also find this horn book and drill demand while playing may be a point of possible weakness if it comes down to them and brass lines that are within a few tenths of them. I am very interested to see how the show holds up this coming week. A lot of that depends on the cleaning that takes place with BK, Boston, and Crossmen. When all shakes out, I do not think this group will be "Lastmen" on finals night.

8, Blue Stars: Really good job of selling the show theme almost non stop, from the on-field warm up to the victor's platform and the end of the show. They look huge on the field. All that white and a very large guard. I think this team will join the "Blue" corps on finals night. Hmmm, is blue the secret of the summer? Didn't everyone get the memo? Let me see, that is four corps with "blue" in their name, SCV using the blue guard dresses at the end of the show, Glassmen have been rising quickly and use blue in their show, Bloomington starts with "bl", quick...Cadets put the blue flags back at the start of the show, and Regiment, add something blue...maybe underwear, a flag, blue socks, anything. please! Back to the Lacrosse team. The corps, not that game I played in college on an intermurral team. Got our a#### kicked by those that actually had skills and didn't not get a team together simply to have an excuse to drink with our buddies. OK, Blue Stars are really good. This corps is one of a few where all sections of the group seem on the same level of talent and performance demonstration. Really good volume at all the right times, without always relying in impacts for music GE. I was very impressed with the ballad playing and loved the music and visual pacing throughout the show. Like Glassmen, the show has a lot of immediate appeal, but also have a lot of intricacy and depth that when cleaner will offer a higher level of scoring possibility in my view. The white is dangerous as PR certainly knows. This is hurting them at this point. I watched several videos and notice the drill mistakes are consistently in the same places. Certainly the staff will use these as a method to clean this weak. This corps is for real and not all hype. I think 8th is a solid place for them.

7, Bluecoats: I found Ed Boxer's comment on the two dudes that play the role of the boxers in the show as extremely funny. I did not think they were as feminine as he suggested, except when the one boxer tacks onto the guard form and dances along. That has to go. Ed and I agree 100% on that one. If I type in all caps and use the bold tab, maybe the Bluecoats staff will hear me: "HEY, BLUECOATS STAFF, TAKE OUT THE DANCING BOXER LA DE DAH MOMENT !!! PRETTY PLEASE !!!" Bluecoats performed really well. The show demand in all areas is very high, representing a jump in design from the corps that are currently 8-20. The unison brass moment on side 2 is the most memorable moment of the show. That is somewhat odd considering there is no drill, percussion , or guard support, but it really works. The energy and confidence is amazing with that statement. There are many other great moments, but nothing that match that moment for me. I thought the guard was good and I am not sure why they placed where they did.

I think the voice over works very well and should serve as a lesson for those considering a voice over in the future. The drum line was extremely good and really make you take notice of them. Some great staging for them aids their contribution. I like the second half much better than the first half. I would like to have had the show be a little lighter or commercial so to speak, using more music that was Rocky-esque. Is anyone else wondering why we do not get the Rock fanfare straight up somewhere in the show? I do not think it would be trite at all. I could see them or SCV in 6th. I found the Bluecoats show to be better through composed than SCV's show.

6, SCV: I have always thought than demand sometimes gets in the way of performance confidence. Though I did think there were some solidly confident moment from Vanguard in Allentown, there were also moments that I thought were pretty tentative. With some healthy cleaning and these tentative moments gone, SCV may keep their current placement however, as I stated before, Bluecoats have a better show for me. Pete Weber's drill is amazing and very musical and varied. I do find some of it almost un-cleanable: backwards diagonal follow the leaders, straight lines folding in four counts into halted exposed diagonals, etc. The horn line had some fundamental issues and quite a few individual breaks. The drum line, and specifically the tenors is very good and quite a bit better than last year's line. The guard is great and doing some really unique and interesting stuff. Though I do not think a show theme or story line is necessary for a great show (Cadets have recently proven this), the show selections do not seem to go all that well together, but I can not exactly explain why. The closer only kind of resembles "Cloudburst" for me. I think that tune has a lot more to offer than what SCV has chosen to portray. A great corps. The thread titled "SCV, downward spiral" (or something like that) made me snicker. Again, an example of this win or nothing, or top three or nothing mentality.

5, Cadets: I do not know if I can be too original with my comments here, so I will be brief. I tried to watch these talented, great performer's show and see if the production could work without the current narration. As of now, I would say no. It is close, but a few times the narration space is over music that would have to be beefed up some. Having said that, is it conceivable that Cadets could do that, beef up those spots and get rid of the stage and voice over? Based on the number of changes between Atlanta and Allentown and how well they handled those changes in one week. Is it worth the risk? What about the two performers that only have a place as the speaking characters? Those two performers would cause me to stick with the narration unless another equal opportunity can exist for those two members. Could this change move them up to forth or higher? I do not see it.

4, Carolina Crown: Slow and steady wins the race. What race is that? A slow and steady rise in quality and creativity over several years. With as strong as the top seven has gotten the past few seasons, to be in the top four with a fan favorite show, I would say they have won the race. The differences between the top four seems to be a matter of opinion and truly a best performance of the night scenario. Can the judges react and write down the exact numbers deserved on that night based only on that performance? That is their job. They were overwhelmingly good, but lacked some magic that I was expecting. With a corps that has had all of the positive press they have, I think it normal to expect not only a great performance, but some real over the top magic. All factions of the corps were great. There were a few unfortunate guard drops, but they are amazing none the less. The horn line was loud, full, deep , and technically well trained. The drum line was actually my favorite of the weekend. The timing between the pit and battery was unbelievable. Clean a few moves (also consistently happening in the same places on recent videos), add as much confidence as possible, and they could be anywhere from fourth to first in my opinion.

3, Blue Devils: They performed their a#### off and are what you expect when you see the Blue Devils. Amazing horns, drums, guard, marching, etc. I liked last year's show better. I think this is a show I need to see again, and I will next week. In this performance, there were several individual mistakes in all sections that stuck out, keeping in mind that when a group is this good, all mistakes stick out. As I this date, I am not buying the show concept. I agree with someone who stated that rather than "Absurdity" the word "Randomness" would be more appropriate. That is not a dig on a great corps, I am just not buying it. I do not like the members getting out of the forms and marching around on their own, and then getting back in at some point. Some see it as innovative. I see it as kind of provocative, and it may lead to some similar ideas, but I do not see this as something others will emulate exactly. I also think there are several awkward guard transitions where the moves are functional at best, but "absurdity" seems to be an "excuse"? (most are moves with the poles). I am not a Blue Devils hater. I love them, just not this year. Like with Cavies, I am ready for something different from them. As of today, I would see them in third come next Saturday.

2, Phantom Regiment: For me, the 2009 world champions unless something goes drastically wrong. Wonderful on all accounts. I wish the guard did not have to be so drab, though I get the authenticity thing. Some changes or adjustments I was hoping for/expecting have taken place. Man were they loud. The opener, after the introduction was relentless. A few minor issues for me: The herald trumpets are cool, but hard as s### to play with clarity or accurate pitch. Not worth it to me. The fanfare was exceptional before, OK now. Could take or leave the helmets being off. Probably prefer leaving them on. The rectangle they are placed in looks awkward and seems they would cause too many to have to divide too much of their concentration between tripping on a helmet, laying it perfectly in the file, etc. Though the running at the end is over the top, I am not a fan of the final form. Though it probably is supposed to be an additional coliseum formation, this one is not as obvious as it could be. I understand the split middle so we can see the draped body, but connecting it up front and then V-ing off in a slightly enlarged coliseum would be more effective. Yeah, I know...everyone becomes in-the-stands designer. OK, that is it. They are great, they should win, start the engraving now.

1, Cavaliers: Cavies were more convincing than Blue Devils. The run and jump and turn and run and jump and turn and breathe and pick up your horn and catch your breath some more and the play and move with absolute control is amazing and finally something a corps has done that I dare any high school band to try. NO. Don't try it. I am being dramatic to make a point. No really, please don't, some one will get hurt then they'll take your band's funding away and make your band director teach beginning banjo and oversee three hours of INS. A well done typical Cavaliers show. No real surprises. I am sorry to agree with others, more music please and less motive/sound effect music.

Could they win. Yes. I how ever do not want this show to win in one respect because the show that wins becomes the unstated poster child of what it takes to win. Though I think corps are greatly varied from each other, for which I am grateful, as I stated with Devils and now Cavaliers, too much of the same stuff form, I am ready for change.

There it is. A large chunk of my Sunday afternoon gone, but this was fun as was the show. Next week will be great.

Safe travels to all, certainly the corps.

Tigger

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tigger!

I have been in this business for a very long time. Your review was comprehensive, professional, thought provoking. . .and groundbreaking, so far as reviews on DCP go.

You really MUST do this again. Thanks.

tigger2,

Thanks for the review. As a Madison Scout Alum. and the dad of a current Scout please accept my apology for my Brothers comments while you have attended some shows. You see we Scouts are a very passionate bunch of guy's.

Our corps really means so much to us that sometimes we let our hearts get in the way of our brains.

I love our new uni's., the contrast between the hat ,shirt , bracers,and glove's from the jacket really give us a unique look.

Thats jmho.

Bill

GO SCOUTS !!!

One of the best reviews, ever. Thanks!

Since I am thinking about it, if Texas ever did succeed from the union and form their own country (as Texans often state they should), Crossmen would aid the "International" in DCI. Yee Haww!

LOL!!!!!! As a native Texan, I got big belly laugh outta that one. Thanks!!!

And GREAT review. Thank you for taking so much care with it!

As a Madison Scout Alum. and the dad of a current Scout please accept my apology for my Brothers comments while you have attended some shows. You see we Scouts are a very passionate bunch of guy's.

Very off topic question: If a son of a Scout alumn also becomes a Scout, does that make the father and son brothers? Does it make the new Scout's mother his sister-in-law, or shouldn't I go there? And his sisters and brothers into nieces and nephews? Just wonderin'.

Oh, and yet another great review. Thanks very much Tigger.

Edited by corps-mudgeon

Excellent thorough review.

tigger2,

Thanks for the review. As a Madison Scout Alum. and the dad of a current Scout please accept my apology for my Brothers comments while you have attended some shows. You see we Scouts are a very passionate bunch of guy's.

Our corps really means so much to us that sometimes we let our hearts get in the way of our brains.

I love our new uni's., the contrast between the hat ,shirt , bracers,and glove's from the jacket really give us a unique look.

Thats jmho.

Thanks Bill L. I do get the passion thing and respect that very much. I have some Scouts buddies that are really great guys that marched in the early Sal years. They have some pretty upsetting stories about how they were sometimes treated/spoken to by Alumni. I guess it makes me somewhat overly defensive for their sakes. They never have a bad word to say about any year, any director, any show, any brother (old school or new school). They give Sal and some "non-Scouts" instructors credit for that approach to things. They say it is something their staff talked about a lot. They refer to it as trying to live as non-hypocritical to "May You Never Walk Alone" as possible, applying it not only to Scouts, but everyone in and out of the activity. I am jealous of their seemingly unfailing commitment to show that attitude years after aging out. Shows up in their everyday lives as well.

Though I am proud of where I marched, it does make me think about things they experienced that I may not have.

Again, thanks for the kind words.

Tigger

PS. I too like the uniform. Someone else's review stated that they did not like it so much.

Great review. One of the best this season. I would like to take a moment to thank you for giving the corps like Pioneer and Mandarins more than two sentences in your review. That was very nice.

:thumbup:

That is one great review!! Bravo! I agreed with you on almost everything.

JW