Canton Caberet

Am I the only one that seems to remember something about a rule that there should never be a tie???

its only for 1st place, im pretty sure. otherwise, i guess its alright.

right now i wish i could fast forward a few days......watch a split-screen montage of the bluecoats and scv both frantically cleaning their shows in the last few days of the season; some epic rehearsal clips, and members eating their food as quickly as possible so they can get back on the field to practice.....bluecoats rocky music would have to be in the background though :thumbup:

"ya gotta keep on fightin, keed".....or something to that extent. (ive never seen the movies, and did my best to ignore bluecoats narration when i saw them this season.)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

good for boston by the way. normally i dont really root for them, but i like their show a lot this year. hope they keep it up.

good for boston by the way. normally i dont really root for them, but i like their show a lot this year. hope they keep it up.

our Buddy Eric will be glad to know!!!

PS Ive got a ride from the airport tomorrow. And a very exciting week ahead of us!

Just got back from the show. WOW!!! Great night in Canton (Massillon) as always. Huge crowd. I know a few years ago we hit 8500, and I think we topped that tonight. Weather was perfect and the crowd gave all the corps big standing O's, well maybe except for Spirit who had the one show that, while performed very well, did not quite connect tonight.

As always, it is nice to have the Pro Football Hall of Fame involved with the Bluecoats and the Chamber of Commerce. Enshrinement week here in Canton has been amazing, and this event really caps off a great two weeks in the best way.

I will write a review later, but for now I will just give a few comments.

Troopers opened the show, and they continue to get better and really sell their show. Just fabulous music, and the guard has improved more than I thought they could. Big sound, great drums, and great music.

Mandarins were next, and although slightly smaller than Troop, boy can they play and march. I was very impressed. At first I wasn't so sure about their uniform look, but the more I watched, the more I like that burnt orange top they have. Crowd really liked them.

Blue Stars were next and OMG WOW! I knew they were getting better, but they are amazing. Very big, great show (Bicycle Racing) and the most color props and flags I think I have seen. The whole show is just excellent and the music just leaves you wanting more. Huge standing O from the Canton fans. Canton fans just love to stand and cheer. For people who have not been to this show, you need to get here...SOON!

Spirit was last before intermission. They are solid in performance captions, especially that drum line of theirs. WOW. Very well done. The brass is powerful and they have some meat in the book, but the music is too chopped and the product becomes somewhat disconnected from the visual. They just need better coordination, but clearly the fundamentals are there. The kids can definitely play.

Boston Crusaders opened the 2nd half, and they wowed the crowd from the get go. Solid captions, although brass is still weak in clarity and musicianship. But they can muster up some volume, that's for sure. And their music is some of the best on the field this year. LOVE THEIR BALLAD. Conquest is classy and more elegant than most would remember it, but I loved it, and the crowd went ape at the end.

Blue Devils were next, and boy is this a wild ride. This is perhaps the zaniest show they have ever done...and I love it. Just something fresh and different. I love the new white slash on the uniform top, but I hate the left pant-leg cape. It makes them look a bit too feminine when their left side is facing the audience, almost like they were wearing skirts. Otherwise, this show rocks, and the overall uniform look with guard included is just stellar. They just sparkle out there on the field. It really is striking, even with my dislike for the cape. They will be tough to beat in Bloomington and the Canton crowd gave them a HUGE standing O, mostly because it looked like they were going to walk up into the stands and finish the last chord. Great ending.

Santa Clara Vanguard was next, and again they did not disappoint. HUGE sound tonight. Maybe the loudest horn line on the field, even over BD and BLOOOO, which is saying a lot. Their drill is just so seamless and perfectly portrays the music. The middle tune really grooves and I was wowed by their guard. The closer still leaves me flat, but boy are they cleaner than they were early season. Crowd loved 'em.

Our Canton Bluecoats took the field to a loud chorus of BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that you could hear for miles (I assume), and they delivered a KNOCKOUT! The show was amazing tonight. Maybe my favorite Bluecoats show yet. Still some things to clean for Finals, but they have added a few surprises for the show tonight and once clean they should do very well. Brass and Percussion are amazing, right up there with anyone. Guard is clearly making huge strides, and I love their opening flags. Those were stunning. AS you can imagine, the crowd went WILD and were on their feet before the show ended. Biggest ovation of the night, but hey, it was in Canton. Still, I think their performance tonight was electric and regardless of placement, fans in Bloomington are going to love this show.

Overall, all the corps were great, lots of standing Os, and to me it is nice to see the amazing quality from all these corps. What I really appreciate is how entertaining almost every show was, and my criticism of Spirit is minor. They are solid in performance, but they are simply hurt by a weak musical book that is too choppy, and their show simply has no "hooks" in it. There is not much to remember or hang your hat on.

Bloomington on Friday!

JW

August 04 - Massilon, OH

World Class

Blue Devils 96.150

Bluecoats 92.350

Santa Clara Vanguard 92.350

Boston Crusaders 88.800

Blue Stars 87.950

Spirit 83.100

Troopers 82.250

Mandarins 79.000

Ties suck, and in this case, there should not have been a tie!! I know it was their home show, but Bluecoats should have taken SCV tonight.

By the way -- GO BLUE PERCUSSION!! Took home #1 tonight, and should challenge at finals!!

Ties suck, and in this case, there should not have been a tie!! I know it was their home show, but Bluecoats should have taken SCV tonight.

By the way -- GO BLUE PERCUSSION!! Took home #1 tonight, and should challenge at finals!!

I agree with you Victor. The Bluecoats percussion was just SICK good tonight! They are in the hunt. I know Phantom will be tough to beat in percussion, but Bluecoats could be right there with them and Cavaliers.

The tie didn't bother me too much. I thought SCV was cleaner tonight, and Bluecoats added some new material to the show, and our marching was not as sharp. I, like you, still thought we had them beat. The show was that electric. It will be close, as both corps are great competitors and have amazing shows, but I do feel Bluecoats will get the edge in Music GE, Brass and Percussion come finals. What they have to worry about is cleaning the feet and they need to get that guard score up a few more tenths.

8th place didn't last very long for the Blue Stars. Looks like their season long momentum is starting to slow; bad timing being that it's finals week.

They are still a lock for finals; but I'm going to guess at 10th or 11th. That 8th place spot sure looked good, though. **sigh**